Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-16, 02:28 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
this makes so much sense!!!!!... I am not hyperflexible (but very flexible in lower body), but do have very week ankles that give sometimes and just throw me over/trip me up/collapse, whatever you want to call it. Is that possibly similar?
I have chronic lateral instability of the ankles, which just means they turn easily. So they flop around a lot, and I've historically sprained them frequently. I can't wear heels, my ankles are far too weak to handle it. I also have difficulties with uneven surfaces, like poorly done sidewalks - my ankles will turn, collapse etc. They'll also just sort of fall out of joint when I'm running and then mash back together painfully. The reason is that the ligaments in my ankle, which are supposed to hold the foot it place, are too loose. So everything else has to work overtime to make up the difference. I've had limited success with balance work as well. Any time I'm upright I'm doing balance work. They only thing that can really correct the problem for me is a very invasive surgery, which no doctor in their right mind would refer me for. I've come to peace with it. Some things help, but it's a chronic, congenital thing I just need to work around for the rest of my life. Which makes it sound like a bigger deal than it is. It just is what it is, and I need to be mindful to not do things that will make it worse or put me at greater risk of injury.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 02:33 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Could the time change have affected your workout? I know it messes me up a lot. Workouts that I usually breeze through are always tougher when we go through the time change. It takes awhile for my body to acclimate to the time change.

I do echo what kettlebell training can do for your physique. I started training with kettlebells about 13 years ago (maybe longer), and I still train weekly. I will never stop.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 02:40 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I have chronic lateral instability of the ankles, which just means they turn easily. So they flop around a lot, and I've historically sprained them frequently. I can't wear heels, my ankles are far too weak to handle it. I also have difficulties with uneven surfaces, like poorly done sidewalks - my ankles will turn, collapse etc. They'll also just sort of fall out of joint when I'm running and then mash back together painfully. The reason is that the ligaments in my ankle, which are supposed to hold the foot it place, are too loose. So everything else has to work overtime to make up the difference. I've had limited success with balance work as well. Any time I'm upright I'm doing balance work. They only thing that can really correct the problem for me is a very invasive surgery, which no doctor in their right mind would refer me for. I've come to peace with it. Some things help, but it's a chronic, congenital thing I just need to work around for the rest of my life. Which makes it sound like a bigger deal than it is. It just is what it is, and I need to be mindful to not do things that will make it worse or put me at greater risk of injury.
Bless your heart, I am so sorry. It reminds me a little of my balance issues, but mine is nowhere near that severe. I'm so sorry. That must be a real challenge.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 07:41 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcramer View Post
Hey Bubbles,

Could you post a link to her Bikini Challenge, I've looked for it but have not been able to find it.

Thanks!!
Yea, so have I. I finally just had to sign up for the challenge. They send the emails weekly, so when I get all eight weeks I'll email them to you. Or I can email you what I have so far and just send you an email every week. Just send me an email

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliholli915 View Post
I heard the Bikini Challenge is really effective! I haven't tried it. But, I want to at some point. Basically, I do KBKB on S/M/T/Th (Power/Diversity/Longevity/Diversity) I add cardio each day and do just cardio on W/F via DC. Since I like to become a sweaty mess one time a day, I stack the workouts. So, I used to do the cardio before to get me ready for KBKB. But, I just started doing cardio after KBKB. As for time limit, I try to get in about 70-75 min each day (I'm not entirely sure that's necessary to see results with KBKB and Dasha says her program is all you need. But, I didn't believe her claims and added my cardio and have just continued to do so). Power is about 35 min so I'll tack on about 30-35 min of cardio. Some days, if I don't do DC, I'll do Tabata or HIIT or one of the kb workouts by Body by Amy on YT. But, mostly, I go for moderate intensity. I basically want to burn about 300 calories in that 30-35 min and find workouts that give me the right intensity.
Whoa, that's a lot of cardio! You're basically doing cardio every day. I would love to do that, as I'm a big cardio lover, but I think my body needs more strength training. As it is I'm actually thinking I would need more strength training for this rotation, but I'm going to try it as is and see where it goes. Thanks for the input! I envy you cardio lovers that have the time to do all the cardio you want! When Tiny Bubble gets bigger maybe I'll get some more me time. Not that I'm rushing it; I love that he still thinks I'm awesome and wants to live in my armpits and shadows all day.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 08:04 PM  
pcramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Yea, so have I. I finally just had to sign up for the challenge. They send the emails weekly, so when I get all eight weeks I'll email them to you. Or I can email you what I have so far and just send you an email every week. Just send me an email
Thanks Bubbles, I signed up "again" and this time I got the Bikini Challenge email, so I'm good. I signed up once before, but never got anything.
Old 03-14-16, 08:05 PM  
NorthernStar

I don't use kettle bells, but I have had this experience. I'm sure there's a more scientific explanation but I have noticed a marked decrease in endurance the day after a deep stretch. Stretching/flexibility seems relaxing but a deep stretch can really work your muscled out.

I wouldn't be too worried. Give it another day and try KBs again. Flexibility training can help increase your range of motion, which in turn can increase your strength so don't give up on it. Maybe just rework your schedule so your rest day is the day after your yin yoga.
NorthernStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 09:02 PM  
holliholli915

Quote:
holliholli915, you specifically said inner thighs (and definately butt), as an hourglass, did you also see any leaning on the outer thigh area? I am built kind of like an hourglass,but my proportions are a little more pear if you can be both, and just wondering if this would make it a litle more proportional. Sorry if I am trying to make you an expert, just curious at your thoughts.
Oh, no, I definitely see results ALL over. KBKB is definitely an equal opportunity burner. But, I didn't have inner thighs on my radar and was surprised to see them toning up because I've never seen them tone this fast, even when I was trying. From what I've experienced, my trouble spots are burning off first. So, typically with other workouts, I've seen slimming first in my breasts and arms. With KBKB, I've seen it everywhere but most in my rear, thighs, abs, back and arms. It's pretty remarkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I can't remember which workouts she has them in, but she does what she calls something like "cat squats"? I may have that name wrong. One foot turns out and is up on its toe and the other leg does a one-legged squat. Writing this now it doesn't seem like that would work the inner thighs, but I think that's what does it! I'm always sore in my inner thighs after a workout with that move.
Yes, she does those in Scorcher Longevity. But, I don't think she mentioned them by name. Or, maybe I wasn't paying attention. I'm usually working so hard that I tune out her chatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Could the time change have affected your workout? I know it messes me up a lot. Workouts that I usually breeze through are always tougher when we go through the time change. It takes awhile for my body to acclimate to the time change.

I do echo what kettlebell training can do for your physique. I started training with kettlebells about 13 years ago (maybe longer), and I still train weekly. I will never stop.
13 years ago?! I wish I had just discovered them 3 years ago. And, I agree with you, I don't think I'll stop. Sounds like you haven't plateaued in 13 yrs which is good to know!

As for the time change, it's rough and can definitely be part of the reason I had to work so hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Whoa, that's a lot of cardio! You're basically doing cardio every day. I would love to do that, as I'm a big cardio lover, but I think my body needs more strength training. As it is I'm actually thinking I would need more strength training for this rotation, but I'm going to try it as is and see where it goes. Thanks for the input! I envy you cardio lovers that have the time to do all the cardio you want! When Tiny Bubble gets bigger maybe I'll get some more me time. Not that I'm rushing it; I love that he still thinks I'm awesome and wants to live in my armpits and shadows all day.
I don't think you'll need all of the cardio I do. I've just got to reprogram my mind about the amount of cardio that's necessary to see results. That's going to take a while. But, as long as you're following Dasha's rotation, not slacking on the weight, keeping good form and staying consistent, I'll bet you'll see results. She has before/afters on her website and you can search the web for others and I don't think anyone was adding any extra cardio. I hope you post about your experience once you get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
I don't use kettle bells, but I have had this experience. I'm sure there's a more scientific explanation but I have noticed a marked decrease in endurance the day after a deep stretch. Stretching/flexibility seems relaxing but a deep stretch can really work your muscled out.

I wouldn't be too worried. Give it another day and try KBs again. Flexibility training can help increase your range of motion, which in turn can increase your strength so don't give up on it. Maybe just rework your schedule so your rest day is the day after your yin yoga.
I think you're right! It works out the muscles and any/all lactic acid. So, when you go back to your regular routine, it's a bit challenging. I'm going to do Yin again tomorrow evening (after my KBKB session which I do in the morning) and only for 30 min. It'll be interesting to see what happens during my Wed workout.
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 09:43 PM  
JENILU

Oh, no, I definitely see results ALL over. KBKB is definitely an equal opportunity burner. But, I didn't have inner thighs on my radar and was surprised to see them toning up because I've never seen them tone this fast, even when I was trying. From what I've experienced, my trouble spots are burning off first. So, typically with other workouts, I've seen slimming first in my breasts and arms. With KBKB, I've seen it everywhere but most in my rear, thighs, abs, back and arms. It's pretty remarkable.

You have me convinced!!!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 11:33 PM  
holliholli915

Quote:

If you can still get this deal, I'd try. It's what convinced me to go for it.... Good luck! Keep us posted! I want to know what you all experience as well!
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-16, 12:34 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
+1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliholli915 View Post
If you can still get this deal, I'd try. It's what convinced me to go for it.... Good luck! Keep us posted! I want to know what you all experience as well!
Oh wow, that's a sweet deal!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good kettlebell form, kbkb, kettlebell, kettlebell kickboxing, yin yoga