Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-13, 12:18 PM  
holliholli915

Gurthier after DB, Slimmer after TA

A while ago, I decided to do a six week DB rotation to see what results I'd achieve. On the plus side, I got way stronger both cardiovascularly and strength-wise. But, I only lost around 2 lbs and either stayed the same size or gained size in all body parts, except thighs where I lost 1/2 inch. Also, when I wore a pair of slacks to a meeting that I hadn't worn since prior to the rotation, they were tighter!! I was horrified.

Last week, I went back to my TA rotation of just 3 - 4 times per week with barre on other days. I lost 4 pounds and those slacks that were tight were loose again. Also, a pair of jeans that I had I was able to pull them off/on while zipped and buttoned!

So, I think I'm finding that no matter how bored I get with TA, I need to continue with her. Now, I must admit, I did a lot of Body by Simone cardio which I love! Plus, it adds a little variety. But, I can't understand how DB bulked me up and am curious if anyone else has experienced this. Either way, I've come to realize that TA works! Period. Like her or not, she's figured out how to make sure her method is effective. So, I'm in it for the long haul.
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 12:34 PM  
EnglishIvy

For me, it's usually about the timing. The first few weeks of any new activity, I swell even if I'm losing weight. So certain areas get tight in my clothes. The swelling goes down but it can still be there on a lower level at 6-8 weeks. I really don't get an accurate look until about 12 weeks. By then, all swelling is out and I usually slim down considerably. Where and how I swell depends on the new activity and what I was doing previously. Less conditioned areas swell more if the new activity requires heavier use in those areas. If I'm doing something new for several weeks and take a week or 2 off, the extra fluid goes away and I'll fit my clothes right away. So simple rest or reduced activity can give those results. DB seems much more rigorous than TA. I wonder if TA is getting credit for your fluid reduction in this case? TA could be just what your body responds to but also just thought I'd throw that out there for future observation.

We really don't build a lot of muscle in short periods (like 6 weeks) so added size at that point has a lot to do with increased blood flow and fluid collection around recovering muscle.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 01:04 PM  
lotusgirl

What's DB? Dumbbells?

Never mind - it's Dream Body, isn't it?
Old 06-30-13, 01:07 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusgirl View Post
What's DB? Dumbbells?
Dream Body I believe.