Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-18, 10:41 AM  
megrod74

a rotation with a mish mosh of styles?

I have so many DVD's and programs and I know I need cardio and weights and flexibility. I also get bored easily and have trouble sticking with one program. I am at a good weight but need to improve my strength and definition.
I was thinking of writing up a rotation (so I don't have to think) but using all my dvd's. has anyone ever done that and did it have any good results?

I have TA, BBL, Ballet Beautiful, yoga, Callanetics, Essentrics and pilates, plus I run.
megrod74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 11:16 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I have tried and not exactly failed, but not really succeeded in much. That is, I don't think I gained much just jumping around, but.... the good news is, I can be consistent with exercise that way. So, it depends on your goals. Sounds like a top goal is to work through your dvds, so this could be just the ticket for you!

I like a mish-mosh but have recently decided to do a focused jumble. Sort of all at the same time I discovered I really enjoy the ART method, Callanetics, and Hilliard barre workouts. So, I'm just rotating those -- doing two a week of each with a rest day and then repeat. I think that some amount of consistency with a method (or three) is helping me get stronger. Food for thought? Good luck figuring out something that works for you!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 11:18 AM  
megrod74

I like the idea of doing 2 weeks of each. Thanks for the suggestion!
megrod74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-18, 10:24 AM  
enduranceron

This is what I do. I make 1-4 weeks blocks of different programs/styles while also trying to make it so I never repeat a workout in a whole year. For example, I have a 1 month rotation of P90X Hybrid, using all different workouts from the P90X programs. I've managed to put together a full year program doing this and it allows me to get a very varied program and keeps me mentally and physically challenged. Some are DVD programs, some paper programs but I have done this the past two years and I am quite happy with it.

If anyone wants to see it I can post it/PM it.

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-18, 05:16 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduranceron View Post
If anyone wants to see it I can post it/PM it.
I'd love to see it and I bet others would too so please post it!

Based on a Tracie Long template and other ideas people have posted, what you describe is what I have done. This is intended to use as many styles of workouts that I have including Firm and pilates.

Week 1*
Cardio
Weights upper
Weights lower
Rest
Interval
Pilates
Rest

Week 2
AWT
Cardio
Rest
Interval
Weights Total
Rest
Barre

Week 3*
Cardio*
Weights*upper
Weights lower
Rest*
Pilates
Cardio*
Rest

Week 4*
Interval
Cardio*
Rest*
Pilates
Weights*Total body
Rest*
Stability Ball

This is the ideal Interval days sometimes become rest days

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-18, 06:48 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

My rotation:
Metabolic
Cardio
Upper body/Heavy
Cardio
Total body
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 10:54 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I like the old "Look Great In 8" rotation from Muscle & Fitness HERS magazine. You can plug in your favorite workouts:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=104923

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 11:33 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I also tend to follow a (loose) rotation in which I just plug in favorite workouts. The basic outline is below, although I sometimes add on, usually with yoga:

MON - longer cardio
TUE - strength training
WED - longer yoga
THU - strength training
FRI - short cardio/stretching (CS)
SAT - barre
SUN - yoga class

I have been sticking to this a bit less of late because I teach yoga on Thursdays, so I don't always exercise then, and I've also been teaching more Saturdays. But still, this schedule is always in the back of my mind, even on my current Hamelin kick!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 01:18 PM  
Zenara25

For the last year I’ve reduced my workouts to 3 times a week. I feel so much better and haven’t lost any strength or cardio capacity. Also maintaining a healthy weight. 99% Cathe Live workouts

The only rule I follow is to not workout the same strength area 2 days in a row. If a workout is metabolic I usually allow an exception.

1. Cardio (step, kickbox, spin, plyo, or HiiT) 1x a week.
2. Metabolic 1x or 2x week.
3. Whatever I feel like I want or need I love strength especially for lower body and currently I need more core work and stretching.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 01:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
For the last year I’ve reduced my workouts to 3 times a week. I feel so much better and haven’t lost any strength or cardio capacity. Also maintaining a healthy weight. 99% Cathe Live workouts

The only rule I follow is to not workout the same strength area 2 days in a row. If a workout is metabolic I usually allow an exception.

1. Cardio (step, kickbox, spin, plyo, or HiiT) 1x a week.
2. Metabolic 1x or 2x week.
3. Whatever I feel like I want or need I love strength especially for lower body and currently I need more core work and stretching.
Wow, I'm so intrigued by you cutting back to 3 days! I usually exercise 7 days/week, although some of those days are generally pretty light (e.g., yoga, stretching). I turn 50 next week...maybe it's time that I consider a plan like this one.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lgi8