Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-12, 07:40 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

My favorite DVD is the LIFT DVD, but not for the LIFT workout. Powersculpting is just plain fun while being effective. It's probably one of my favorite weight workouts for any instructor. The focus is light to medium weights.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 10:24 AM  
caligurl

i like:

split sessions
weights
NYC
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 01:27 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I honestly can't choose a favorite. Kelly is great and so creative in whatever she does. I like the 30MTF format. I like to mix/match light to heavier weight days. I did 45 days of nothing but Kelly's workouts from the start of 2012, and did not get bored with any of her workouts.

Ok, if I have to pick something, I'd say Your Best Body (because it's one of her newer ones.) Probably the most versatile with the ability to lift light or moderately heavy.

Pam

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge

Last edited by Pam61; 03-20-12 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typo
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 03:41 PM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
I could'nt pick one even if I wanted to all of Kelly's videos are excellent in my opinion, all fresh and different. I love Circuit Burn alot but Muscle Definition is also a favorite. Split Sessions is awesome with its band work, see, impossible for me to pick just one. I strongly feel a person MUST have ALL of Kelly's 30 MTF videos
yes, i figured picking a favorite could be a problem! That's part of why i edited to add if people could help me categorize them, it would be a big help. I have a bad memory & have trouble differentiating videos by the same instructor. thanks!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 03:49 PM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
I love LIFT and Weights and perhaps Weights just a bit more.

Weights has superb active recovery options and is just an all-round no-dread, effective, fun workout. I like the music, the energy and just about everything about it. The weight lifting is mainly straight-forward - nothing feels awkward to me. It is like no other workout in my collection so it has a special place.

Powerscuplt is fantastic. It is an all-in one cardio + resistance training workout + functional fitness workout. Until I got into kettlebells (synergistic, momentum based training), Olympic Lifting Quick Workout was the only one of its kind in my collection. It is a great use of 20 minutes when you are short on time but want to make every second count. I tack on a few pushups at the end and think I achieve a lot with this workout.

If you consider Plyometrics as resistance training for Legs, I must mention Cardio Blast. Kelly's plyo is my all time favorite plyo. It has no dread and gives me a good workout none-the-less. I make every rep count versus more intense workouts where I run out of steam on some of the reps with this one.

In my opinion, none of KCM's workouts are suitable for heavy weights unless you dont keep pace with her. If I were to use Cathe's 1Rep Max method to establish the right weight for a rep range of 8 to 12 reps per set, I need to go considerably slower than KCM to lift with good form. Her set structuring and wait times between sets are not intended for body building (hypertrophy) in my opinion. Her workouts will make you stronger, leaner and preserve and potentially even build some lean muscle but they are not "heavy" in the classic use of the term.

That said, Powersculpt is intended for lighter weights than Olympic Lifting and Weights. In my opinion, Muscle Definition is for lighter weights. Split Sessions is medium. You can slow down (versus KCM and crew) on YBB to make it heavier weight workout. KCM designed it so you can do less reps with a heavier weight if you choose, using the same time per set.
thanks for the great feedback!

i agree weights is straight-forward, typical, effective weight training w. possiblity to go "heavy for KCM". (that's how i will categorize that one)

I never did the olympic lifting but am more intersted that ever!

I also love plyometrics for the lower body - I do remember that one being intense but fun!

I am gonna have to re-acquire some of the KCMs that I traded (why did i do that?!)

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
Old 03-20-12, 04:09 PM  
lisarah

what is the difference between powerscultping and Muscle definition? are they similar?

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
Old 03-20-12, 04:59 PM  
mtnmom

Muscle Definition is more on the "traditional" side of weight lifting. Kelly works on body part at a time before moving on. She still puts some of her own twists into the moves, and there is a combination move or two (lunges with shoulder press, squat with bicep curl), but they are few.

Powersculpt is more total body movement, and it's fairly continuous and without breaks. There are 7 rounds, each start and finish with one form of movement, with another exercise in between. So you would do ABA, CDC, EFE, etc.
Old 03-20-12, 05:24 PM  
ckfromca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
My favorite DVD is the LIFT DVD, but not for the LIFT workout. Powersculpting is just plain fun while being effective. It's probably one of my favorite weight workouts for any instructor. The focus is light to medium weights.
I agree. I don't do LIFT, but do Powersculpting on a regular basis.
ckfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 06:01 PM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
Muscle Definition is more on the "traditional" side of weight lifting. Kelly works on body part at a time before moving on. She still puts some of her own twists into the moves, and there is a combination move or two (lunges with shoulder press, squat with bicep curl), but they are few.

Powersculpt is more total body movement, and it's fairly continuous and without breaks. There are 7 rounds, each start and finish with one form of movement, with another exercise in between. So you would do ABA, CDC, EFE, etc.
thanks! - i can't remember if i ever did powersculpt & did i trade that one away?...[goes off to look]...

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
Old 04-07-12, 09:54 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Ooh, this is so tough. I have and love all of them. I will pick three; sorry, that's the best I can do.

1. Split Session
2. L.I.F.T.
3. Your Best Body
I never chimed in to this thread. After doing these workouts for a while these are my favorite weight ones too. I might be an oddball but I tend to prefer her newer workouts more than the older ones. Weights and Muscle Definition are good too and were the first 2 workouts of hers that I acquired, but I tend to migrate to the above three a little more.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minutes to fitness, favorite kcm, kcm, kcm weights, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer