Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-12, 07:42 PM  
lisarah

Favorite Kelly Coffey-Meyer weight workout?

KCM has so many now that i can't seem to recall how they differ! Please tell me your favorite weight workout(s) of hers & whether it tends towards heavy weights, slow reps or lighter weights high reps.
TIA!

ETA: or just tell me how you differentiate the different ones she has

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 08:05 PM  
lisarah

Was searching old threads & found this one, where tiramisu gives a one line description of some of KCMs. thanks tira!
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=174402

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 08:17 PM  
Tiny

I really like LIFT. It is a different way of training and works the entire body. I am always surprised at how sore my legs and abs are later in the day and the next day. I think LIFT is a gem of a workout that gets little buzz!

I agree with all the raves on powersculpt as well (the second workout on LIFT). I think it is a win win!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 08:25 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Tara did a nice job with those breakdowns! However, I've used both Weights and Muscle Definition, and although the former is more designed to go heavy, you can definitely go fairly heavy with much of MD as well (there are just a few moves where this would probably be a bad idea). I really enjoy MD and am considering purchasing Split Sessions--when I asked about this recently, it seemed like many here really liked it, especially the band work for lower body (to my knowledge, it's Kelly's only w/o that includes band work).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 10:01 PM  
Vee

I love LIFT and Weights and perhaps Weights just a bit more.

Weights has superb active recovery options and is just an all-round no-dread, effective, fun workout. I like the music, the energy and just about everything about it. The weight lifting is mainly straight-forward - nothing feels awkward to me. It is like no other workout in my collection so it has a special place.

Powerscuplt is fantastic. It is an all-in one cardio + resistance training workout + functional fitness workout. Until I got into kettlebells (synergistic, momentum based training), Olympic Lifting Quick Workout was the only one of its kind in my collection. It is a great use of 20 minutes when you are short on time but want to make every second count. I tack on a few pushups at the end and think I achieve a lot with this workout.

If you consider Plyometrics as resistance training for Legs, I must mention Cardio Blast. Kelly's plyo is my all time favorite plyo. It has no dread and gives me a good workout none-the-less. I make every rep count versus more intense workouts where I run out of steam on some of the reps with this one.

In my opinion, none of KCM's workouts are suitable for heavy weights unless you dont keep pace with her. If I were to use Cathe's 1Rep Max method to establish the right weight for a rep range of 8 to 12 reps per set, I need to go considerably slower than KCM to lift with good form. Her set structuring and wait times between sets are not intended for body building (hypertrophy) in my opinion. Her workouts will make you stronger, leaner and preserve and potentially even build some lean muscle but they are not "heavy" in the classic use of the term.

That said, Powersculpt is intended for lighter weights than Olympic Lifting and Weights. In my opinion, Muscle Definition is for lighter weights. Split Sessions is medium. You can slow down (versus KCM and crew) on YBB to make it heavier weight workout. KCM designed it so you can do less reps with a heavier weight if you choose, using the same time per set.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 11:03 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Circuit Burn and Bootcamp. a tie lol. I love her vids!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 11:15 PM  
juberann

I could'nt pick one even if I wanted to all of Kelly's videos are excellent in my opinion, all fresh and different. I love Circuit Burn alot but Muscle Definition is also a favorite. Split Sessions is awesome with its band work, see, impossible for me to pick just one. I strongly feel a person MUST have ALL of Kelly's 30 MTF videos
Old 03-19-12, 11:38 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Haha, Judy's right!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 06:32 AM  
Pascal

Ooh, this is so tough. I have and love all of them. I will pick three; sorry, that's the best I can do.

1. Split Session
2. L.I.F.T.
3. Your Best Body
Old 03-20-12, 07:31 AM  
IrishOT

I like split sessions and weights, muscle definition is good too They all run together in my mind, but I am never disappointed in any of them when I do them
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minutes to fitness, favorite kcm, kcm, kcm weights, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer