Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-18, 10:11 AM  
Zenara25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I live 40 miles north of the MSP metro and at 15-20 miles from any Target or Walmart. Amazon Prime is worth it to me. I'd feel differently if shopping were accessible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
I live 70 miles from the nearest downtown metro, and Target is 50 miles away from me. I have to do most shopping online for the things I need. I even still order from Amazon. My point is there are a lot of online options that are cheaper and just as convenient (since it is online), including free Amazon.
I live on an island where there are no stores such as Walmart or Target. It costs a lot of money plus hours of my time just to travel to the mainland. I use both the free music and video streaming. Love the 2 day free shipping. Amazon Prime is definitely worth it to me.

I do use other online businesses when I have time to research and the price is better.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 10:25 AM  
cherimac

I have a Walmart, bookstores, sporting goods stores, etc. within minutes of me so that's another reason I won't keep it at the new price.
Old 05-17-18, 11:04 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
I live on an island where there are no stores such as Walmart or Target. It costs a lot of money plus hours of my time just to travel to the mainland. I use both the free music and video streaming. Love the 2 day free shipping. Amazon Prime is definitely worth it to me.

I do use other online businesses when I have time to research and the price is better.
If you actually get Prime shipments in 2 days, you are less isolated than I am. When I had it, it took at least 1 extra day. But that was just how it was. But Prime for more than just shipping makes sense.

If you can receive Prime, you can receive shipments from Target and Walmart even if you don't have a store on your island, because they use regular carriers to ship to your mailing address.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 11:33 AM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

Right, starting this summer those of us who are not Prime members will start paying a premium for many items at Whole Foods. I'm not keen on paying Amazon for the privilege of having them track my food purchases. In addition, we've noticed Amazon has been aggressively pruning away many items in our local Whole Foods, especially those from smaller companies, so that some things we used to buy regularly are no longer available.

This is all so annoying that we're actively looking for Whole Foods alternatives, even though they're the most convenient store for us.
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 01:33 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
I have to admit, I don't understand those of you who are keeping Prime just for the free shipping. Amazon has free shipping on everything under Prime for anyone if you cart total is over $25 for qualified items. I can almost always hit that minimum with two items or less.

I also don't quite understand "buying everything" on Amazon. I do extensive price comparisons and while Amazon is often the cheapest, it just as often is not. This wasn't always true, but Amazon prices have creeped up over the years. Many brick-and-mortar retailers ship with reasonable minimums that are easy to meet, and are often cheaper than Amazon. It used to be paying more was worth one-stop-shopping, but of you are shopping from your desk, clicking "Buy" at two different sites is as easy as clicking it at one.

Not judging - I just don't understand paying $120/year (or $99) for something available for free.
I shop a lot on Amazon but only if the price is right. Some grocery/HABA items I won't even consider, because of the price, but other things, if it's priced right it's a great convenience to me.
Old 05-17-18, 02:31 PM  
Zenara25

Quote:
If you actually get Prime shipments in 2 days, you are less isolated than I am. When I had it, it took at least 1 extra day. But that was just how it was. But Prime for more than just shipping makes sense.

If you can receive Prime, you can receive shipments from Target and Walmart even if you don't have a store on your island, because they use regular carriers to ship to your mailing address.
When they ship via USPS it can take up to 4 days But usually they ship via UPS thankfully. When there's a storm which we get alot of around here, things can be delayed for days via UPS or USPS due to the boats shutting down.

I do use target and walmart when I have time to compare and it's a better deal.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 05:51 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We'll keep Prime. We use the free shipping, I get a free book most months, we watch shows on Prime video (for no extra charge). I get a lot through Subscribe & Save. And, we get things through Amazon that I just can't get other places and, if you can, that are more expensive. Like others, I've noticed their prices going up and do comparison shop on other sites to be sure. I live in a major city and just don't have the time to run around to brick and mortar stores and hope they have what I need in stock. Many times, my DH wants a specialized type of drugstore product and the stores carry and different version from what he wants. But, Amazon will have exactly what he wants.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 08:25 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
I live 70 miles from the nearest downtown metro, and Target is 50 miles away from me. I have to do most shopping online for the things I need. I even still order from Amazon. My point is there are a lot of online options that are cheaper and just as convenient (since it is online), including free Amazon.

BTW, Target.com has free shipping over $35, free returns on opened beauty items where they pay return shipping, and 365 day returns where they pay return shipping on other unused returns. Target.com also has a subscription option for household supplies which have free shipping on the subscription item no minimum.
If you have their Red Card, you get free shipping with no minimum purchase required. I've used that frequently.

I use the ship to store a lot as I have two Targets and three Walmarts within five miles of my house. I also have a Costco and Trader Joe's close by, so some things are cheaper in the store than online.
Old 05-17-18, 09:06 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

My DH will keep our prime. He uses it so much, that they probably lose money on him in shipping costs alone! Personally, I'm not a shopper, and use it only when Jessica Smith releases her DVDs which is what? Once or twice a year - at most?
Old 05-18-18, 07:26 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post

And this is my weakness - something about the Prime "free" shipping inspires me to buy more. Free shipping plus one click is too tempting for me - I ended up buying stuff on impulse more than on a calculated decision.
This is what happens to me with the $25 minimum. I wind up buying things I don't really need just to get the free shipping.

I did have a favorites list of stuff I would like to get, but didn't need right away, so I could add those when there was something I really did need to order. But I find with Prime now, I just get what I need and never really do dip into that "want" list.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon prime