Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-15, 02:00 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

cat w a feeding tube OT

so my little kitty dude is coming home today

(Tyrion managed to, through sheer bad luck, end up with a blocked common bile duct. had surgery to re rout the gallbladder to dump directly into the intestines)

with a feeding tube

anyone have any experience dealing with these?

he'll only have it in for a week or two
Old 02-09-15, 02:03 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Sorry, no experience, but I wanted to wish you all the best with your little guy.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 02:09 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have no experience with this, but wanted to say you are a great kittymom.
Best of luck!
Old 02-09-15, 02:18 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

thanks

I'm a freaked out kittymom
Old 02-09-15, 02:24 PM  
noodles

I only have past experience with people and with some tubes we have to check the placement of it to ensure it's not migrated to the airway; then remaining upright for a certain period of time after. Hopefully the vet will explain a few things to you - poor fur baby - and momma!
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 04:15 PM  
katmom

It has been a while, but I had a cat with a feeding tube. The first tube was inserted through his side into his abdomen (ileus diagnosis). The next time, he had to have feeding tube, they inserted it through the neck (liver dysfunction). Of the two, the one through the abdomen caused me the least stress and he also seemed less stressed with this one. I was lucky that my cat was well behaved with the first tube, however, because he was older and his general health was worse the second time, the tube feedings were more difficult.

The veterinary staff were very supportive in teaching me how to feed him and keep the tube maintained. Rely on your veterinary staff during this time as each cat is different in their acceptance of the treatment.

My advice is to keep calm when feeding the cat. Do not rush the feeding as it can stress the cat and the digestive system. I don't know if you have a spouse/family members or friends that can assist (I did not), however, if you do have a good support system, see if they can assist you.
Old 02-09-15, 05:12 PM  
PrairieGem

My 12 year old coonhound had that same surgery! (Scarring from pancreatitis crushed her bile duct, so they had to reroute.) She was on a feeding tube for 9 days... but it was all while staying in the hospital. They didn't want her to come home until she was eating on her own. Her feeding tube was a nasal-esophageal version (tube down the nose). I can tell you that anti-nausea medications were CRUCIAL, and she also took several drugs to improve her digestive motility. She still takes some liver support medicine and a drug that improves gall bladder contractions. (They were all human medicines and are astoundingly expensive, like $$/day, but that's for somebody probably 3-4 times the weight of your little kitty!)

Ladygirl had all kinds of complications from the surgery, including aspiration pneumonia (see "critical anti-nausea drugs," above) and a lifelong susceptibility to gall bladder infections (since the infection pathway is now directly from the intestines to the GB), which we have to manage. But the surgery was almost 2 years ago, and she made an amazing recovery and looks incredible for somebody who's almost 14.

Hope everything goes well for your little guy!!
Old 02-09-15, 06:52 PM  
laurajhawk

Oh, good luck!
I have no experience with feeding tubes, but I have a cat who's been on daily subcutaneous fluids for over a year. He's in kidney failure and doesn't respond to the extent that we can ramp down the fluids, but as long as he gets them, he's happy and leads a virtually normal life in most respects.

I'm actually going to introduce an on-topic tie-in: When I give Monty his fluids, I chant the "Sa Ta Na Ma" meditation from Ravi & Ana's Quick Fixes/House Call. (You could sing any simple song instead.) I try to keep it up even if something untoward happens (kitty struggles or fluids leak). It keeps my breathing steady, which keeps me calm, which keeps him calm. It also helps keep my mind from wandering - which is important because if my mind wanders I can give him too much, or it could take too long to notice a problem (like leaking fluid).

Calm is the key. When he was first diagnosed, DH and I tried to do the fluids together, because OBVIOUSLY four hands are better than one ... but he would get impatient, and that would make me nervous, and it just didn't work! Now I do it myself and it goes like clockwork.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 07:39 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

No experience here, but want to send a shout-out of support & best wishes for you & your kitty!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 08:35 PM  
Stephanie_B

CALM IS KEY.

We're having to give our oldest cat subq fluids daily and right now she doesn't have a feeding tube, but we have to feed her two cans of food daily via a syringe. If I'm tense or my husband is she picks up on it and it's a struggle. Like Laura I kinda chant to her and it works so much better.

Good luck, it is hard since they can't tell us. At least when my DH had his feeding tube it wasn't messy! My cat, if pissed, can do this exorcist move and spit.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote