Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-12, 11:05 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Can you wear a Fitbit or anything like it for exercise in the water like swimming or water aerobics? I am thinking about getting one, but a fair amount of my exercise is in the water.
I don't think the fitbit or bodybugg are waterproof. Some people do put their fitbit in the little waterproof pouches meant for mp3 players, I am afraid to try it and unsure how accurate it would be. I wear my waterproof heart rate monitor sometimes for water exercise. Then I log the activity on my fitbit account using the calorie burn from my hrm. It gives me the calorie burn and activity minutes, but no steps during this time.

And there is an accelometer watch intended for this purpose and tracking swimming laps called Poolmate (http://www.amazon.com/Swimovate-Dist...4851327&sr=8-1) This would not be useful for non-swimming as near as I can tell though.

I've heard the Jawbone up is waterproof. I don't know about the Fuel, I think I heard you can wear it in the shower, I don't know about swimming.

ETA: In the summer I like to go to a water exercise class where we do exercises with or against a current at the local pool--things like walking lunges, cross country skiiers, skater jumps, running, etc so I always think it would be great to get the step count so every summer I research waterproof pedometers hoping to learn their is a cheap one on the market and have yet to find one.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bodybugg, calorie burn counter, fitbit, heart rate monitor, hrm