Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-20, 05:30 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

For me, I would like to try and do a yoga practice daily, a short one at the minimum and if I have time for a longer one then that would be good too. I have also been doing short pilates segments a few times week which I am enjoying as well.

Getting outside and walking, though it's really hot and humid this week which is too bad as I was looking forward to a lot of walking this long weekend, will have to aim for it early in the day I guess.

Getting my weights and cardio in, weights a couple times a week and maybe one step workout, two at the most per week.

Reading my books, I really like to read but haven't spent as much time on it lately.

Cutting back on the news, I just watch other TV or none at all. I have DVDs that I should revisit, maybe this weekend do some binge watching.

Rediscovering Pinterest, I set up an account a few years ago and forgot about it. I have on there creating boards and pins based on my interests which I enjoy. It has also given me ideas for my next hairdo which I can get next week finally.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 08:57 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Good thread, Alta!

What I’m doing that’s working:
Yoga every morning.
Listening to Conversations with God via audiobook every morning.
Prayer twice a day.
Getting back into meditation. (Alta is right btw, it doesn’t need to be this hardcore structured practice. I do the countdown breath a couple of times a day, when I wake up and before I go to bed, both while in bed)! Also starting to play with alternate nose breathing.

What I need to improve, want to improve:
Less freaking screen time!
Stay Away from the newsfeeds!
Less tv time.
Improve my food habits
Do more creative stuff like drawing, playing guitar or piano.
Think more positively.

It’s tough these days, you know? I’m (gulp) going back to the office starting Monday. Hubby is still working from home with no return date in sight. Hope I can keep up the good things I’m doing and still work the 8-5 job. Pray for Mojo!
Old 07-01-20, 09:01 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

July Goals:
  • Walk
  • Track in my WW app - don't wanna but I'm so unhappy with my COVID backslide
  • Meditation, even five minutes
  • Taro study
  • Smile for a minute and turn on my happy engine before getting out of bed each morning
  • Lee Holden - reminder, he does have the 30 minute challenge, very short practices
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 03:59 PM  
Vantreesta

I didn't realize just how much that morning routine was doing for me. The humidity and heat are horrendous this week, Cyric will only walk a mile in the morning with coaxing, even at 7:30, so I'm missing longer walks and am doing them out of order from usual and it's just screwing everything up. I tried getting up early today with my alarm set for 5:20 and I swore I got up like 10 times only to find I was still lying in bed at 7. I just feel off the rails this week. I know what was working, I just have to figure out how to adjust for weather so I can make it work again. I hate summer. Sorry, I shouldn't be complaining on a self care thread!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 09:51 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

This thread really spoke to me and I have given thought to my answer for a couple of days. My life is way off the rails and I need to get it back on track. Forgive me if this is lengthy - it’s my wake-up call.

The first thing is to improve my sleep and reduce stress.
-nightly meditations before bed. They don’t have to be long, just redevelop the habit.
-bubble baths at least a couple of nights a week, especially nights after I worked that day. So relaxing, yet I don’t take advantage of the benefits.
-figure out all my electronic stuff and the best way to play relaxing sounds/music/ meditations on my Jam Touch so I’m not relying on TV for distraction when I try to sleep.
-continue to revel in hearing the cats purr. It’s one of the the best sounds in the world.

I am 60 and concerned about my health. In some ways I feel much younger, but there are issues that make me very nervous. I am on my feet on a concrete floor for 8 hours, 4 days a week. Among other things, my legs and left hip are bothering me.
-develop an exercise habit to help with stiffness and flexibility. I recently acquired a Classical Stretch season and I should do an episode on a regular basis, say 3 times a week or maybe sub the occasional Jane Adams workout.
-do a Margaret Richard Unplugged workout at least 3 times a week for strength.
-routinely take and log my blood pressure.

Try to internalize that my job is not my life. I am a lowly drone in a crappy job so my job isn’t that important and I shouldn’t agonize over it.

Finally, make myself accountable. Join a VF check-in.

I think that is enough for one month. Let’s see what August brings.
______
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 10:24 PM  
Vantreesta

If anyone is looking for a goals-based challenge/check in, the Add 'em up challenge encompasses more than just fitness goals. Everyone is welcome to join us! Currently there are only four of us.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=228878
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 11:40 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

July's self-care started off a bit rough yesterday. I Joni-O'd two Lee Holden Qi Gong workouts in a row. I ended up doing Jessica's 30-minute Fusion Walk from her Walk On 3 DVD Super Set. It was perfect.

I didn't go on FaceBook and that was good.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 02:20 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
July's self-care started off a bit rough yesterday. I Joni-O'd two Lee Holden Qi Gong workouts in a row. I ended up doing Jessica's 30-minute Fusion Walk from her Walk On 3 DVD Super Set. It was perfect.

I didn't go on FaceBook and that was good.
Which ones did you Joni-O? So far I've accomplished days 1 and 2 from the 30 day challenge (10 minute routines).

This morning I did a morning meditation on Glo and this 11 minute chakra clearing meditation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ar9vsmFhJU

Oh - and I didn't open a jar of peanuts or a potato chip bag when I got home - had some watermelon then did my workout right away.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 02:20 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I love these suggestions! I actually have a meditation series of DVDs that I bought at a particularly stressful time and haven't yet started on it. I really need to do so.

I'm also snoozing many people on FakeBook. I've snoozed so many that my feed is very quiet! One of my friends has posted many pictures of animals in the wild from his many trips to Africa and I am enjoying them immensely. He was a professional photographer and he and his family return to the continent almost every year except this one. I always wanted to go, as going with people who have been many times could make it even more enjoyable. So I fantasize about going and it helps bring some calm to my frazzled mood! Obviously he and his wife are not snoozed on my feed!

Most nights I don't watch the evening news, but DH and I watch local news just to not feel so isolated. I am so sad with all the anger and hate and lashing out that I see and since I can only change my own behavior, I don't want to watch it play out on TV (or "social" media that's turned so political)

I'm keeping up with my workouts, petting my cats more, and trying to keep up with the tremendously long Cathe check in that is still going in General Discussion!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 07:08 PM  
Gams

Way too hot and humid for me and forecast doesn’t show relief any time soon. I’ve been spending a lot of time with my dogs, although not as many walks because of the weather. I’ve been doing my workouts every day and watching old movies.

I have 2 friends on Facebook that I am thinking of unfriending. I never knew before how mean they are.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self care, self-care, standing yoga