Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-15, 01:20 PM  
catcrazy

When Piyo came out, people were saying, this is way too easy it's going back, no wonder BB is coming out with harder ones, no one is ever happy, it's too hard, it's too easy, everyone is always going to have different opinions, so luckily there are a ton of different workouts out there for all levels, people should know their own capabilities and choose wisely!
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 01:33 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrazy View Post
When Piyo came out, people were saying, this is way too easy it's going back, no wonder BB is coming out with harder ones, no one is ever happy, it's too hard, it's too easy, everyone is always going to have different opinions, so luckily there are a ton of different workouts out there for all levels, people should know their own capabilities and choose wisely!
I agree, it's all about knowing your limits and being careful not to push yourself to injury. I like some extreme and some not so extreme workouts but I enjoy having a choice. It's possible to get injured no matter what activity you are doing if you use the wrong form or push yourself beyond your capabilities, this can happen while doing yoga -- you don't necessarily need to be doing something barbaric. LOL.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 01:46 PM  
Aquajock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I agree, it's all about knowing your limits and being careful not to push yourself to injury. I like some extreme and some not so extreme workouts but I enjoy having a choice. It's possible to get injured no matter what activity you are doing if you use the wrong form or push yourself beyond your capabilities, this can happen while doing yoga -- you don't necessarily need to be doing something barbaric. LOL.
This.

"Barbaric" is in the eye of the beholder - or the exerciser. I personally enjoy Shaun T's Insanity original, Asylum #1, and most def his new Max:30 workouts. I also personally enjoy Cathe's high-intensity stuff, as well as Amy's and Mindy's.

Caveat: I have not read Kelley's post. That being said, I'm surprised she would deploy a back-handed slap at fellow home-ex DVD producers who market to the high-intensity lovers. How would she feel if the "barbaric" producers dismissed more moderate-intensity producers with adjectives like "lightweight" or "namby-pamby" or "wussy"?

It's only "barbaric" or "extreme" if you can't do it. And if you can't do it, pass on it. Don't piss on it.

A-Jock
Old 02-11-15, 01:58 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyancy View Post
I guess I kind of agree with her to a degree. I think it's obvious who she's talking about/targeting in her statement. While I agree that their marketing tactics are not the best, they have put out some good programs. And at least they provide modifiers in most of their workouts. They are not for everyone and everyone should not do them. The other issue I take issue with is that she said in that comment on FB that they are using "her" thirty minute format. WHAT? When did the thirty minute format become hers. It's a trend that people are wanting shorter workouts, so that's what's being produced. I just think that to throw rocks at others is wrong, no matter who you are. I like Kelly and have most of her workouts, but I was left with a sour taste in my mouth with this.

And yes, I do understand that she was targeting their marketing, mostly, but the tone of that post just seemed wrong to me. It's her opinion and she's entitled to it, but it could have been done better than that. Anyway this is just my opinion
I agree. I saw her post on yesterday and everyone chimed in to sing her praises. I thought her post came from jealousy. Right now, all the rave is 21 Day Fix. There are some great support boards on Facebook.. The original program is beg/ intermediate. Now, they've just released 21DF Extreme. I honestly don't think it will be puke in a bucket but probably high intermediate. It will be another best seller because they are great programs. Mine should be delivered on Friday....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 02:06 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyancy View Post
I guess I kind of agree with her to a degree. I think it's obvious who she's talking about/targeting in her statement. While I agree that their marketing tactics are not the best, they have put out some good programs. And at least they provide modifiers in most of their workouts. They are not for everyone and everyone should not do them. The other issue I take issue with is that she said in that comment on FB that they are using "her" thirty minute format. WHAT? When did the thirty minute format become hers. It's a trend that people are wanting shorter workouts, so that's what's being produced. I just think that to throw rocks at others is wrong, no matter who you are. I like Kelly and have most of her workouts, but I was left with a sour taste in my mouth with this.

And yes, I do understand that she was targeting their marketing, mostly, but the tone of that post just seemed wrong to me. It's her opinion and she's entitled to it, but it could have been done better than that. Anyway this is just my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajock View Post
This.

"Barbaric" is in the eye of the beholder - or the exerciser. I personally enjoy Shaun T's Insanity original, Asylum #1, and most def his new Max:30 workouts. I also personally enjoy Cathe's high-intensity stuff, as well as Amy's and Mindy's.

Caveat: I have not read Kelley's post. That being said, I'm surprised she would deploy a back-handed slap at fellow home-ex DVD producers who market to the high-intensity lovers. How would she feel if the "barbaric" producers dismissed more moderate-intensity producers with adjectives like "lightweight" or "namby-pamby" or "wussy"?

It's only "barbaric" or "extreme" if you can't do it. And if you can't do it, pass on it. Don't piss on it.
A-Jock

Agree with both you guys. I enjoy tough, challenging workouts as well as lower intensity ones. I worked up to my level of fitness slowly and know exactly what I can do and what I have to modify for my body. I enjoy having more choices so I hope instructors continue to put out all kinds of workouts with a wide range of intensities. This whole business of putting down different kinds of workouts is getting old and irritating. It happens among instructors as well as here on VF.

I do wish people would educate themselves on fitness more so they realize if you want to do tough, high intensity workouts you need a solid fitness base and need to work toward it slowly. However, I also firmly believe in the saying "if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you". If you don't push yourself, you can't expect major changes...assuming that's what you want. Of course, there is nothing wrong with just trying to maintain or workout simply for good overall health. I just don't get why people need to put down higher intensity...and insinuate those who like to challenge their fitness are asking for injury. If you aren't interested in that kind of thing, that's fine. There are lots of us that do, though.
Old 02-11-15, 02:11 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
If it comes with a tape measure, I'm in!
I'm holding out for the pencil!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 02:14 PM  
catcrazy

I told her how I feel, but that's just me, I pretty much say what I feel whether it's popular or not.
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 02:15 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I personally really enjoy challenging workouts, but it's the marketing I find interesting. Words like 'extreme,' 'intense,' 'beast,' etc. seem to really appeal to some people. It's only problematic, I suppose, if people feel like they're not getting real exercise if they're not hanging in with the 'extreme' camp, or certainly, if people are getting injured.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 02:43 PM  
mrsyancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajock View Post
This.

A-Jock
She actually complemented Amy, cathe and Patrick in her post, which is why I said we know who she was talking about and referencing in my post.
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 03:16 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
Lol! Which ones are barabaric, in case I decide to go on a Kelly bender?
LOL well keep in mind I'm pretty wimpy, but Shape Up was her first DVD I didn't preorder. My knees ached watching her leap up and down an 8" step, and Tabata is not my thing anyway.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extreme workouts, kcm, kelly coffey meyer