Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-15, 11:10 PM  
bfit

I agree! Enough with "extreme" workouts. There must be so few people who can actually do them, and meanwhile everyone else just gets discouraged and/or injured. I think it's almost gotten to be a competition to see who can make the most "extreme" workout.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 11:28 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Haha, I've stopped buying Kelly's workouts for that same reason. Several of her recent ones felt a bit "barbaric" to me.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 03:23 AM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I applaud her for saying this. A couple years ago I made a vow not to buy anything marketed as extreme or insane because I was buying sets ( at a high cost) that I was just doomed to fail at- I also felt like a failure for not being able to do the workouts but the older people showcased as successes in the infomercials were fitness trainers that had been in the field, not ordinary people like me.
It's the doomed to fail thing (not even going into the injury possibilities) that get me. That's part of why I love Misty Tripoli's whole take on what's wrong with the fitness industry (and why I trained as a facilitator for THE GROOVE).

You can see Misty talking about these things here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANDARO2n7jY

There are other more recent interviews around with her talking about the evolution of THE GROOVE, but they're usually a bit longer.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 04:56 AM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I applaud her for saying this. A couple years ago I made a vow not to buy anything marketed as extreme or insane because I was buying sets ( at a high cost) that I was just doomed to fail at- I also felt like a failure for not being able to do the workouts but the older people showcased as successes in the infomercials were fitness trainers that had been in the field, not ordinary people like me.
I agree. I never did buy any of them.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 05:37 AM  
Calistro

Oops! deleted.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 08:34 AM  
andtckrtoo

I would argue that the reason the "barbaric" or extreme workouts are being made is because they are selling. Beachbody, especially, is not going to market a program that doesn't sell.
Old 02-11-15, 08:34 AM  
TinaT

This is interesting. I thought Piyo was going to be the more gentle release that Beach Body was offering, but after reading so many reviews, it still isn't doable for alot of people.

Most of these barbaric workouts are targeting the younger generations. I have Combat and my daughter uses it. I really thought I might but my body said no.

Like I've said before, I rather workout out smarter, not harder.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 09:19 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Haha, I've stopped buying Kelly's workouts for that same reason. Several of her recent ones felt a bit "barbaric" to me.
Lol! Which ones are barabaric, in case I decide to go on a Kelly bender?
Old 02-11-15, 09:31 AM  
PhyllisG

I just wonder how many of those BB series get left in the back of the closet. Think it is the infomercials that are misleading and really how many people are really capable of doing such workouts. They sell so many because of the promises they make not necessarily the results they deliver.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 09:39 AM  
TinaT

I can't imagine doing any of them long term. And to me, that's the key. What can I do for myself that will help me long term. That will look different for all of us. I just know I've never had success with any of these programs b/c at one point or another I've had to stop due to physical fatigue/injury.

I don't feel that way with other means of fitness. But that's just me.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extreme workouts, kcm, kelly coffey meyer