Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-12, 12:26 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I did both workouts one and two yesterday (with heavier weights.) Felt more challenged, especially with doing both workouts back to back.

I think I will like these the more I do them. I just don't feel like one workout only is quite enough, but it will be fun to play with the premixes.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-12, 01:12 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbV View Post
But I get bummed out when she repeats segments like she does on several of her DVDs. On Plateau Buster workout 1, she goes through a fairly long circuit alternating strength and cardio sections and just as I got excited thinking it was going to be new moves for the whole workout, she took everything from the top again. You only go through this twice, but I still get bored, and feel like I don't give as much energy to each move, knowing I'm giong to have to do it again. I may be crazy, but I am willing to go all out on something tough like the the squat jump/jumping jack series, but not if I know I have to do it again. I would really prefer new moves through an entire workout.
Barbara, I do agree with you. When I did the first Plateau Buster workout, I was cruising right along, and then when Kelly says to go back & pick up the heavy weights again, I'm like "what?--I have to do those exercises again?" It's like feeling cheated somehow! I get a little annoyed when it's repeating shorter series too, like in her Muscle Definition, or from other instructors, like the Iron Cores. (Although the funny thing is, I am more tolerant of Kelly's cardio TIFTTing! I'm not sure why this is--maybe because I prefer weights to cardio, so I don't mind as much if my cardio is more mindless. )

Anyway, I can tolerate the repetition, as virtually all strength workouts do seem to repeat rounds to some degree. Otherwise, I had some mixed feelings about this DVD. I consider myself a high intermediate exerciser, but I'm not an intensity junkie, and I don't really like high impact stuff. I do think Kelly did a good job with the workouts, and I always enjoy how she is creative with the moves, but I would've liked more pure strength. However, I guess that really would not have met the "plateau-busting" requirement, so maybe this just isn't a good fit for me personally; I definitely think they're good workouts.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 08:26 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I see that I was the last one to post here--did I kill this thread?

Anyway, I just thought I would come back to mention that yesterday, I did the "Dumbbells Only Premix" (or, as Kelly has it on the menu, the "Dumbbell's Only"--much as I love her, she needs a better editor! ). Given that I am not really into impact cardio and prefer weights work, I think I liked doing the DVD better this way. It was pretty tough, though, especially since you are doing ALL the strength moves from BOTH workouts TWICE. On the other hand, it was a fast way to get a pretty thorough full-body workout in.

I think that I will likely keep this workout--if, for nothing else, to have around when I feel the need to break out of rut or though a "plateau."

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-03-12, 08:37 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Dumbell's Only (I share your pet peeve with possessive apostrophe over- and mis-use!). I'm still working up the courage to try workout 2 on each of the new discs.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 08:43 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, thanks for being grammar police with me. I don't think that the 2nd workouts on the 2 new DVDs are hugely more difficult--on PB in particular, the two workouts are pretty comparable, so if you have done the first, you shouldn't have any problems with the second (after your surgery!). On Cardio Quick Fix, the second workout definitely has more impact, but the drills are pretty short, plus you can always keep it low impact by following Noelle. You have been doing some tough workouts lately--I am sure you'd be fine!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-03-12, 09:37 AM  
BunnyHop

Thank you for posting your review, I'm really looking forward to trying this one.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 10:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Beth, that's good to know! I may even attempt one tonight.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 12:24 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Resurrecting this thread to post review...

Full disclosure: I received a free review copy of this workout.

When this DVD and Cardio Quick Fix were first announced, I was really interested in the Cardio Quick Fix DVD and ordered it. It took me longer to catch up with this DVD because when it came out I wasn't sure that I would like it. Well then, it totally figures that I would be less than thrilled with Cardio Quick Fix and that I would really enjoy this one, Plateau Buster. I do think that most of the people who like this DVD will be self-described intermediate exercisers or someone wanting that level of a workout for a change.

The main menu is pretty standard for a Kelly-Coffey Meyer DVD. It gives you the following options:

> Introduction
> Workout One
> Workout Two
> Stretch
> PreMixes

In each of the two workouts, you do two compound strength movements and then there is a cardio burst in between those. Each of the strength moves is done 12 times - she says something like, "We do 12 of everything." There are some cardio moves that are seemingly based on time and you do more than the 12 repetitions, but other that that, she sticks to the pattern. In both workouts, she does mostly compound moves that kept my heart rate steadily up. She starts with the moves that call for heavier weights and then toward the end of the segment, she switches to moves that call for lighter weights. She goes through all the moves and then repeats the sequence. Usually, I hate it when an instructor goes through a series of moves and then repeats it. However, in this workout, presumably because she does only 12 of each move, I didn't mind repeating them. In fact, the second time around went faster for me than the first. In both Workout 1 and Workout 2, I looked up to see the time on the clock when she went into the cooldown. The time just flew for me.

I did Workout 1 and Workout 2 twice each. Then, I decided to sample the premixes. I chose the harder mixes because they had footage I hadn't seen yet. I really like that Kelly films extra footage that she uses in the premixes. In the two workouts, Kelly workous out with three background exercisers and one of them, Noelle, acts as the modifier and keeps the moves low impact. In the bonus footage, Kelly is by herself. The duration of the premixes ranges from 21 minutes to 45 minutes.This submenu includes the following options:

> Plateau Split Rounds (Round 1 then Round 2)
> Plateau Challenge (Both Workouts Alternating Each Exercise)
> Plateau Dumbbells Only Mix (Workout 1 and 2 All DB's Then Repeat)
> Plateau Cardio Mix (All Cardio Sections, Workouts 1 and 2, Two Times Each)
> Plateau Combined Mix (Both Workouts)
> Plateau Kelly Harder Mix One (Workout One with Bonus Moves)
> Plateau Kelly Harder Mix Two (Workout Two with Bonus Moves)
> Plateau Bonus Buster (All Bonus Moves)

For advanced exercisers, I am not sure you will like this DVD if you are expecting it to give you a good workout ala Cathe or Michelle Dozois recent workouts or other leaders of advanced workouts. These workouts are intermediate level, even though it is true that you can use heavier weights to make the workout harder. However, note that the bonus moves are more advanced than the regular workouts, so doing the premixes with those moves in them leads to a more advanced workout than the two main workouts. The bonus moves include:

> Forward roll attempts
> Side lunges
> Weighted squat thrusts
> Lying chest flies with leg raises
> Pommel horse
> Fast straddles
> Weighted pop squats
> Modified pullover with crunch

I really like this DVD and the options it gives. However, remember that you must be able to do/like/accept the following in order to enjoy this DVD:

> You must like compound moves
> You must be able to get over repeating the moves
> You must not be looking for a beginning or advanced workout

To me, it felt like Kelly had a vision for this DVD in what she wanted to accomplish. Personally, I think she did accomplish her vision and a good workout was the result for those of who use this DVD. There are many workouts on the market today that want to shock people off a plateau and they go about it by offering really hard workouts. There is some high impact in this workouts (which is easily modifiable) and it can be a challenge to keep up. To me, it was a fun, moderate workout that is different than the other workouts I am doing presently.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, plateau buster