Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-12, 10:32 PM  
BarbV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
I was actually thinking, "please don't repeat this all again" during the 1st set... and then she did. However, I thought the 2nd time went by pretty quickly and was pleasantly surprised when she went straight into the cooldown (don't think I could have done a 3rd set). I think I will like the premix that contains one set from both workouts. That's all I do on Circuit Burn... I never do just workout 1 or 2. But, I love the combined 30 min. wo on that one and am sure I will like it on PB too. I did everything but one exercise with 15 lb. weights (I thought Kelly went slow enough on the reps to go pretty heavy), and I anticipate some DOMS tomorrow. I also did all of the straddle jumps since she did them at a slow pace, and I never do those! Overall very happy with workout 1.
15 lbs -I am jealous! I used 7 lbs and thought I was pretty cool
-Barbara
BarbV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 11:10 PM  
tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbV View Post
15 lbs -I am jealous! I used 7 lbs and thought I was pretty cool
-Barbara
I'm good for 12 reps, but the 2nd set was much harder! Had to use 12s for that slow punch / squat combo and 1 15 for the stir the pot exercise. Already feeling pretty sore too.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 04:52 AM  
juberann

I LOVE Workout #1. I always do both of the main workouts in Kelly's DVDs first and then I go onto the awesome premixes, it's just the way I have always done it.
As for the repetition, that is one thing I love the most about Kelly's workouts but I know it bores some people to tears. I personally like repeating, perfecting the move. I don't like too much of a learning curve in my workouts. I have learning challages elsewhere in my life, I like my workouts to be mostly no brainers. Guess that is why I took to Leslie Sansone's workouts so much. What is boring repetition for many is pure bliss for me Kelly's workouts provide just enough of a learning curve for me, I never feel overwelmed or like I can't tackle the moves and I love that I always have "another" chance. I do think that anyone who doesn't like TIFTing in their workouts should probably be aware that Kelly does alot of that
Old 09-06-12, 06:04 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbV View Post
I would really prefer new moves through an entire workout.

What do you all think? Do you like repetition so you can just focus on perfecting your form and not worry about learning lots of moves or do you prefer a lot of variety to keep the workout interesting?

-Barbara
I am kind of this way too. I really like KCM a lot, I think she puts out quality workouts and I like her as an instructor but sometimes it does get repetitive for me. I understand when some exercises get repeated for a second set, etc.

I have liked everything that I have tried from her but clicked with some more than others and this is partially why. I like Weights, Muscle Definition, Circuit Burn, Powersculpt from LIFT. But I really like Split Sessions and Your Best Body, I think I will like Plateau Buster because it's 12 reps and your done.

Another workout I tried recently and found repetitive was Erin O'Brien Strong Body, Ageless Body. Although for some exercises she does show a different variation in the upper corner of the screen. Very good workout but I just like more variety I guess.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 10:46 AM  
caligurl

ok.... here goes....

i didn't really like this workout... i do.not.like.TIFTing! it's bad enough when instructors repeat a section (like kelly does in other workouts and like jillian tends to do) but i really hate doing a whole section then doing it again... UGH! i liked several of the moves (my 2 faves were stir paint... really felt those! and modified pullover/crunches!)

i did not like the majority of the music... it was tinny and high pitched and well... just annoying...

sadly... she's got a lot of comments in there that are going to get old... i wish all instructors would listen to their dvd's a few times before sending them off to print... like the one where cathe says "surprise"... uhm.. NO... i've done this dvd 50 times.. it is most definitely NOT a surprise... while kelly has no "surprises" in here.. there were a lot of comments that when/if i do this workout again... then again... will be old and fodder for me to make sarcastic comments "to her" while doing the workout... please, please, please instructors: keep the extra comments to a minimum! (i did like the "go kelly" chant! very cute!

this was not a hard workout..... BUT i can see where it would be harder with heavier weights... i didn't want to go too heavy cuz this was my cardio day of body beast (thus a rest from weights)....

i did both of the workouts that added in kelly's "harder" moves.... there was a lot of wasted/standing around time when she put in those cards... i, personally, would rather have a seamless transitions with no cards and no excess stand around time....

and speaking of wasted/standing around time.... the showing the move each time during the first round... that is going to be so old even the second time you do this workout! such a time waster! if she felt the need to have those shown... then perhaps a separate learning chapter? or even as a premix with those added in... but to stand there each and every time while she demo's the move... (of course, with the workouts already being so short.. maybe she was adding them to stretch the time out?) and it's not like you could go ahead and do the exercise without waiting.. cuz then your standing around on the back end...

sadly, for me, these were not some of kelly's bests... so many of her others are so very awesome! but these are lemons for me (i even like and have a place for start here... i use it on my sore days when i need to move but want something easier... at least start here is fun!) several of kelly's workouts are my favorite workouts that are used a LOT.... and i've always loved how she's been open to critiques and critisism (spelling)....

i know i can do the premix of this that is just one time through... but that's not a long enough workout for me.. and i was buying two thirty minute workouts... not one single one (which is about what doing one set of each would be)

my recs going forth would be: (1) stop TIFTING... or at least don't TIFT the whole workout over again! (2) watch some of the comments that will be heard over and over (3) don't demo the moves on the main workout
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 01:03 PM  
antbuko

Sounds like I will be able to pass on Kelly's newest. I popped in LIFT this morning and it also has the demo moves in the work out, doesn't it?

Believe it or not, I am one who misses the style of the earlier Kelly DVDs. Still love those, even though they are not the 30 minute format.

I know that Kelly is very receptive to feedback and input from her fitness video audience, but I also love the element of surprise and newness that I'd experienced with her earlier DVDs. So, that would be my feedback. Surprise me!
Old 09-06-12, 01:25 PM  
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
Sounds like I will be able to pass on Kelly's newest. I popped in LIFT this morning and it also has the demo moves in the work out, doesn't it?

Believe it or not, I am one who misses the style of the earlier Kelly DVDs. Still love those, even though they are not the 30 minute format.

I know that Kelly is very receptive to feedback and input from her fitness video audience, but I also love the element of surprise and newness that I'd experienced with her earlier DVDs. So, that would be my feedback. Surprise me!
You are not alone. I LOVE Cardio Sculpt Fitness and Cardio Kick Step Boxing. I also really enjoy TSOTTC. Too bad I am injured and haven't been able to do any weights or circuits for 6 mos.
Old 09-06-12, 01:30 PM  
pfhanna

Sorry to say that I am another one who doesn't like this workout. I did have to follow the low impact modifier because I can't jump (bad knees) but that is not the only reason I don't like this one. I like Kelly's other dvd's but this is not her best. I will be trading this!!
Old 09-06-12, 02:32 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I don't buy Kelly workouts because of the do section/repeat. I don't like this in ANY workout, except with totally straight lifting- do 8 reps, rest repeat. I always feel like the instructors are only giving me half a workout. And if I don't like something, I really don't want to do it a second time.

I do LOVE her LIFT workout though.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 02:34 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post

In LIFT, the demos are shown in the rest periods. If I go heavy enough, I'm resting while she demos. So after many uses, I'm not standing around thinking she's wasting my time. I'm guessing this varies depending on how heavy you go.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, plateau buster