Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-09, 12:32 AM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

Question Shoes that work well with orthotics?

I just got new orthotics, and unfortunately they're fairly thick and don't work well with most athletic shoes. It's kind of ridiculous, really, since these are "sport" orthotics, i.e., designed for athletic shoes. I'm hoping someone out there can help me find shoes that they will work with.

The orthotics are 5/16" thick at the heel, so I need shoes with removable insoles that are approximately that thick.

I need running shoes and also a separate pair of shoes for step aerobics and weight lifting and also the occasional hi/lo or kickboxing workout. For running, I need motion control shoes because I overpronate.

I do have an old beat-up pair of Brooks Ariel running shoes, which my orthotics fit in quite nicely, so I may try to find the latest version of those. For some reason, my local Road Runner Sports doesn't carry them. I'm still interested in other options, though.

I have been wearing Ryka N-Gage (probably the 07 model) for step, but my orthotics are too thick. I'd prefer a shoe designed specifically for aerobics, but my options are probably limited, so a cross-trainer would be OK, too.

Bonus points for casual (non-exercise) shoes that these darned things will fit in. I'll probably have to shell out the money for a pair of the thinner "dress" orthotics. My insurance paid for the first pair, but I doubt they'll pay for a second pair.

Thanks!

ETA: In case it matters, I'm usually a size 8, "normal" width.
TonyaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
orthotics, shoes