Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-11, 09:27 PM  
psnave

I think it would be overkill to use both. The bodymedia also allows you to log your food intake, so it shows you each day whether your calories eaten are over/under your calories burned. It's really been an eye opener for me.

If you think you would log your food then I would go with the bodymedia or bodybugg. If not, the fitbit might be your best choice.

The bodybugg and bodymedia are pretty much the same thing and made by same company. Bodymedia, however, has a different website to log your food and download your calories. A lot of people think it is easier to use than the BodyBugg website. I can't really compare the two, but I can say bodymedia's download and food logging is very user friendly. You can also buy a watch for either of these systems that gives you your daily calorie burn without using a computer. I use this a lot when working out (not the cutest watch so I don't wear it all the time).

Costco has a great deal on the bodymedia with a free 12 month subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Is the BodyBugg really worth the additional cost and subscription? Does anyone use the BodyBugg in conjunction with the FitBit or would that be overkill?
psnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 02:30 AM  
slysam

You can also track food on fitbit. I think using both fitbit and body bugg would be overkill since both measure movement. From what I understand the gowear/bodybugg, etc also measure temperature and I think perspiration (?) in addition to movement. So they are measuring more things (so probably more accurate), which is why you have to wear the armband and why it is less discreet. I looked at this but I know I would not wear the armband every day and the subscription fee put me off a little.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 03:45 AM  
psnave

I didn't realize fitbit offered food tracking as well, that's great. The bodybugg/bodymedia uses 5 different criteria for measuring calorie burn.

1)Motion
2)Steps
3)Galvanic Skin Response -When you sweat, your skin becomes more electrically conductive. This measurement help us see how active you are.
4)Skin Temperature -There's an electronic thermometer inside your armband that helps us know how hot you are.
5)Heat Flux -When you move, your muscles produce heat. We measure the heat that's flowing from your body into the environment.

It's hard to say which is more accurate since we don't really have a reference point to compare it to. I *think* the BodyMedia is pretty darn accurate for me based on my weight loss (or lack thereof at times). The data seems reliable. I know the sleep times are right on the money if that's any indication of overall accuracy. It knows when I am laying in bed watching TV vs sleeping, for example.

I wore my band religiously during cooler (long sleeve) weather. Now that it's warmer, I tend to wear it when I'm working out or hanging out at home, but no so much if I'm out and about. Fitbit is definitely more discreet.
psnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 09:07 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Thanks all. I ordered a FitBit and a New Balance N4 heart rate monitor. I will use the FitBit every day, all day and will use the HRM for specific activities, such as Zumba and Tracy Anderson. I just couldn't see myself paying $220 for the BodyMedia (or BodyBugg) plus a subscription fee (after 12 months) plus paying extra for the watch display (which I would definitely want because I would want to check my progress throughout the day). Also, I was wary of ordering since there were some negative reviews on Amazon questioning the accuracy of the BodyMedia and I read about some Bluetooth problems. I am a low-tech person, so I think this 'clip and go' FitBit will be better suited to my personality and I will be more apt to stick with it.

If I love it, the BodyMedia or BodyBugg may be something that I delve into later. But, for the time being, I am psyched to be taking some accountability for my life. I also ordered a food scale (the Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale if anyone is interested) to start keeping myself honest in the kitchen as well. This is so unlike me. I think I am really ready to make this change that I've been thinking about making for 10+ years. Not sure what has 'clicked' for me (aside from Zumba live classes being the springboard for all of this), but I am just so glad that I am in this place right now!
Old 05-31-11, 09:56 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Congratulations, Glamgal!
Interestingly, after decades of halfhearted effort I'm in your shoes and finally 'there' too, when it comes to tracking things and putting it together. In my case I've opted to not try and assess calorie burning (since I'm going to do the workouts I love regardless ) but I'm accountable for the rest and feel wonderfully empowered and in control these days!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 11:00 AM  
Cammie-Cam

Bumping! (I seem to be doing that alot lately....)

So how's this going guys? Fitbit, Bodybugg? I'm considering getting one of these in the future (waiting for a sale) and while I like the more well rounded-ness (is that a word?) of the Bodybugg, and don't mind the subscription, I'm still on the fence because I don't REALLY want to be answering questions about it if I'm wearing it with a short sleeved shirt in the spring and summer.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 12:15 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I think I've had all of them and will not likely buy another one since I've had such bad luck (especially with 3 faulty Fitbits but also with BodyBugg causing an injury on my arm. My original GWF is actually still going strong for a friend of mine). Thankfully, I was refunded most of my money. ETA: They were all very similar in terms of readings and those readings came close to what any old chart online said I burn each day. Ultimately, they were kind of nifty to play with and sometimes they motivated me to do more, but they were not a necessity by any means.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that Nike's version should come out later this month. It goes around the wrist and works with iPhone.
Old 02-15-12, 12:23 PM  
pharma_gal

Biggest loser is also coming up with one and so is Jillian Michaels. i would like to know which one is the best too...I may be considering it. thanks.
R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 12:26 PM  
moviegrl1737

FWITW I love my bodybugg and find the number motivating me to move more throughout the day at what is usually a more sedentary job. That alone makes it worth it's weight in gold.

ETA: Lots of people put the Bodybugg unit in their bra under their left armpit. The readings are supposedly as accurate as wearing it on the arm and no questions about what the heck that is on your arm. Personally, everyone knows how I am about using gadgets and losing weight. They stopped asking long ago.
Insanity Grad
Half Marathon Finisher

"What you do today is important because you are trading a day of your life for it." - Unknown
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 12:35 PM  
txfitmom

I have the Fitbit and have done Zumba classes while wearing the Fitbit. I looked back at one of my old readings and it showed that I burned 531 calories during one 60 minute class. That came out to be almost 9 calories burned every minute. I don't know how accurate the Fitbit is in measuring calories though, I tend to use my HRM more to measure calories burned during a workout. I would frequently have my Fitbit tell me I was burning up to and over 3000 calories a day, but I was not losing a single pound (I was watching what I ate as well). I actually quit wearing the Fitbit and just have been using my HRM off and on, because I would get frustrated when Fitbit would tell me I had 14,000 steps or 3000 calories burned and I was still not fitting into my clothes. I do like though that you can track the calories in Fitbit, it has a lot of cool online tools. The calorie tracker definitely helped me clean up my eating more.

I also want to mention that when an exercise claims to burn up to 1000 calories an hour, that is usually based on measurements taken from a man. I know that my dh burns way more calories than me. We got into this conversation one day about a Jari Love workout which he had done with me one time, I think it was GR 1000 and I said there is no way I would ever burn 1000 calories doing that workout, but he claims that he did when he did it one time and wore his HRM. Maybe I just have a super slow metabolism, but I have never done a workout where I burned that many calories.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bodybugg, calorie burn counter, fitbit, heart rate monitor, hrm