Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 07-22-14, 06:16 AM  
cyana

Fresh Basil Lemonade

From Detoxinista.com - thought this sounded like a great summer drink and I need to use up the basil from my CSA anyway. Enjoy!

Fresh Basil Lemonade
Author: Detoxinista.com
Serves: 2

A refreshing summer drink that's naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup.
Ingredients

¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups water
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon fresh minced basil

Instructions

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until the basil is completely broken down. No need to strain! Alternatively, you could just shake the ingredients together and allow the flavors to meld in the fridge for an hour or so, then strain before serving. Pour over ice and serve immediately!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 12:57 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Yum! My poor little basil plant is down to just the small leaves now, so this sounds like a great way to use them up.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 02:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

does basil grow more leaves when you use them?

i have a black thumb and assumed that i wasn't good at growing any plant, including herbs!

....and each basil plant i've brought home has eventually died and didn't grow new leaves. i kept them potted, but maybe i was supposed to transplant it??

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 03:02 PM  
mtngoat

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 07-25-14 at 03:12 PM. Reason: DP
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 03:03 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
does basil grow more leaves when you use them?

i have a black thumb and assumed that i wasn't good at growing any plant, including herbs!

....and each basil plant i've brought home has eventually died and didn't grow new leaves. i kept them potted, but maybe i was supposed to transplant it??
Yes! Once the plant is established, basil grows insanely if you keep it pinched back. It seems that the plant grows 4 leaves for every 2 you remove. Here's a good explanation of where to pinch - the picture about half-way down the page.

I have my basil plants in a pot right now (which I transplanted) and in an Aerogarden. My one plant (Globe Basil) in the Aerogarden provides more basil than I could ever use. I also have a Lemon Basil plant in the Aerogarden. I don't like it as much, so tend not to keep it up as well. (Although it could be good in this lemonade!)

I've had better luck with my basil in a pot rather than in my garden plot, but I think that I just tend to them more.

eta: Frequently when you purchase plants from the garden store, they are fairly root-bound in the little plastic pots. This will inhibit growth. They should be transplanted into a larger pot. You can 'loosen' the roots a bit before transplanting them. (Thanks Martha Stewart!) The plants should grow better after that.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 07-25-14 at 03:10 PM. Reason: addition
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 05:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Lori - thank you so much! i will do this.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 05:24 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Yeah, my tiny potted basil plant actually held on for much longer than I expected with all the pinching back for pesto and what have you, but I've been a little greedy lately making this tuna, cucumber and basil salad for lunch too frequently and over pinched.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basil, detoxinista, lemonade