Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-15, 12:27 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Question Bowflex Select Tech dumbbells

I got the Bowflex Select Techs for the holidays but they just arrived.
I had them on my Amazon wish list for a few years with the note"Not sure if I want these. Ask me first."
Well they didn't ask so they are sitting in a box in my garage.
I have kettlebells up to 45 pounds but of course these dumbbells are adjustable in 2.5 lb increments which is a big advantage. If I keep them I will need to get the stand as I cannot bend over to pick these up.
Some questions:
1) Can I use these to do renegade rows?
2) A reviewer on Amazon said they cannot be used for Goblet squats. Is this true? If I cannot use them for renegade rows and/or Goblet squats I think I am going to have to send them back.

Meanwhile I gave a handwritten wish list to DH and DS asking for a pair of 15 and/or 20pound hex dumbbells (for renegade rows mainly) but they automatically thought "more expensive is better."
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 06:25 AM  
AZY
VF Supporter

I have used mine for goblet squats but don't thinkg they would work for renegade rows as they don't really have a flat surface to balance on for the supporting arm. You could modify I suppose to place supporting hand directly on the floor......

If I had unlimited space, would prefer to have traditional Dumbbells but these are adequate and I also like the 2.5lb increments up to 25 lbs. The stand really helps.

Cheers! AY
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 09:50 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks for the input. I still don't know if I am going to keep these.
Old 01-03-15, 11:44 AM  
pharma_gal

Leslie - I have these and I recently did renegade rows with them. But I only used 10 pounds and most of the reps were on my knees. I tried a couple on the toe but I'm not strong enough for that yet. Also for goblet squats you can hold the dumbbells on their ends. I don't see why they wouldn't work for it. It is a bit inconvenient to hold them vertically but for some moves I modified the hand position that worked for me. Let me know if you have more questions.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 12:31 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

I wanted a pair so that my DH and I could workout together and finally ordered them. (the ones that adjust up to 50 lbs)

We found them very cumbersome and a pain to adjust. They only quickly adjust in 10lb increments not 5 like I thought. A real disappointment.

I sold them on Craigslist a few months later.

Edited to correct myself! I had Powerblocks. I didn't even entertain the thought of Selectechs because of the length of them. I tried them in a store and ruled them out immediately.
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 01:10 PM  
klutze01

I LOVE my Selectechs however they are rather large & awkward for goblet squats and not stable enough for renegades. If you do a lot of those 2 moves, then these probably aren't going to work well for you.
Old 01-03-15, 02:25 PM  
jenn38

I have selecttechs. I have one Bowflex and one generic. I had to replace one after it rolled of my step and a piece broke.

The big negative is the size of them. Especially exercises like bicep curls and tricep kickbacks, shoulder stuff, etc.. But exercises such as rows, squats, deadlifts the size doesn't bother me.

The bowflex one seems to wear easily and thus makes it hard to adjust sizing. This may not be the case for all but for me I have to fuss alot with the bowflex to adjust the weight.

The generic one I bought on Amazon years ago. It's the same exact thing but better quality IMO. It adjusts quickly and easily.

I prefer traditional dumbbells but due to space restraints these work fine.
Old 01-03-15, 05:07 PM  
katmom

I have the 552 Selecttech set with the stand. I have used the 52lb for goblet squats without any problems. I have used the 25lb for renegade rows and did not have problems with this move. As others stated, these are bulky, however, they take up less space than if you had all of these weights individually. I do have a set of rubber hex dumbbells in pairs of 3, 5, 8, and 10. I find these are a better size for aerobic weight training.
Old 01-03-15, 05:16 PM  
pbnj

The select techs are used in the Chalean Extreme videos. I think there might have been renegade rows in phase 3, but it's been a long time.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 10:36 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks for the input everyone. Now I am really confused and don't know what to do. Is there anywhere I can check these out like Sports Authority or Dicks? I hate to unpack the whole box only to repack it and send it back.