Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-18, 09:36 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Looking for a workout like this:

Can anyone recommend a reasonably advanced workout structured so that lower body and upper body alternate exercise by exercise--for example, first squats, then tricep dips, then lunges, then bicep curls, etc? I've been doing this on my own but would love to find something I can follow along with. TIA!

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 09:43 AM  
bubbles76

I haven't tried it, but I think Cathe's PHA Training from her Strong and Sweaty set is supposed to be like this. Maybe someone else can chime in?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 09:47 AM  
Garrie A.

Most Firm workouts would fall into this category. Firm Cardio (OOP and very hard to find on DVD, but can reasonably found on VHS) and Tough Tape 1 are the two best in that category. Some other good ones include Maximum Body Sculpting (intermediate level but advanced can heavy up) and Firm Strength (uses supersets unlike Firm Cardio, but still alternates upper and lower body).

Cathe also has a workout called PHA Training (PHA: Peripheral Heart Action) from her Strong & Sweaty series. By the way, PHA is the name of the technique where upper and lower body exercises are alternated.

Gilad's Sculpt & Tone is another favorite. It alternates one standing leg superset with a superset for an upper body muscle group (usually three to six exercises in each superset).

I also like two Kelly Coffey-Meyer workouts: New You Coming, and 30 Minutes to Fitness Weights.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 10:46 AM  
Sharaz

PHA is my go to training style for Full Body workouts!!!

Pyramid Combo
STS Total Body
High Reps
Muscle Endurance

Sometimes two upper body muscles are worked before moving back to legs in the above workouts. The afterburn effect is still there.
Old 03-23-18, 11:14 AM  
laurajhawk

James Crossley's "Get Fit at 40+" (the total-body weight workout) follows this pattern but with a cardio *or* core move added in: so, upper-lower-cardio/core, repeat. It's quite simple but goes slow enough that you can heavy up.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 11:23 AM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Tough Tape

The original Firm Tough Tape does this. James Crossley's Get Fit at 40+ has a full body workout that alternates between upper and lower body. The rep speed on both workouts allow for heavy weight, and they are wonderfully time efficient.
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 02:09 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Thanks for reminding me that, yes indeed, many of the FIRMs were structured this way, and it's probably one of the reasons they worked so well for me back in the 80s and 90s. But I now do all my workouts on an iPad. Is there a streaming or at least a digital source for the FIRM workouts mentioned here?

Thanks too for suggesting PHA! I have that Cathe S&S workout, and Cathe also has two other PHAs on her live site. And once you reminded me of those, I realized that some of her bootcamp workouts are similarly structured, although to get what I want I'll need to use the Workout Blender to skip the cardio sections (I run for cardio).

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 02:30 PM  
Garrie A.

Firms I mentioned:

Http://fitnessfavorites.pivotshare.com
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Old 03-24-18, 06:57 AM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
Many firms use complexes or what is generally called compound moves. Working Upper/Lower at the same time. Does the workouts you mentioned use this type of moves?

PHA is a Bodybuilding concept. Muscle group are worked separately. Is not “Metabolic” style workout like Cathes recent offerings.

I’m curious because PHA is my favorite FB workout type. I can go heavy on each muscle group.
Old 03-24-18, 07:06 AM  
Garrie A.

Tough Tape is PHA.

Firm Cardio and Strength use separate upper and lower body PHA-style, except during the 4-limb cardio breaks.

Maximum Body Shaping uses PHA too, but there are a few compound upper and lower body strength moves.
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Tags
james crossley, peripheral heart action, pha training