Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-20, 07:55 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I won't be retiring until I'm Medicare eligible and even then I'll probably continue to work, because I'm petrified of losing my employee health insurance. I might just continue working until they carry me out.
The number of people here who are worried about health care post retirement is disheartening.

While I should be protected post-retirement in terms of healthcare and have been eligible to retire for more than a year, I'll probably continue to work at my current employer for several more years (luckily, I love my work and have a decent boss, for now). I want to try to go out with 40 years of service.

Sadly, I worry that the rug will be pulled out from under me in terms of my employer's commitment to me and my colleagues, in terms of post-retirement healthcare and my pension.

I do tease my colleagues (90% younger than I am, some by more than 2 decades) that they will come in one day and find the "old lady" dead at her desk. The final indignity---I'll die at work, face planted on my keyboard or on the floor beneath my desk!
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 08:56 AM  
Carol K

I don't plan on working until I drop, but I'm lucky in that I'm currently healthy and I love my job, so I plan on working until 70, when I'll be able to collect the maximum delayed social security benefit. I'll also have a pension from my previous job. My husband is a year and a half younger than me, but he hates his job, so my real goal is for him to retire first.
Old 02-29-20, 09:21 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I'm happy for those of you still enjoying your work and having the energy (mental and otherwise) to continue. My company has been going through many changes the last 5 years and everyone is waiting for the ax to fall and wondering who is going to be next.

Even that doesn't bother me so much as a severance package would be ideal and the decision made for me but there's this one co-worker that makes almost every day unbearable for the rest of us and management lets in continue. It didn't use to bother me and I could let her antics roll off but lately not so much. Maybe because I'm getting older and crankier!

Working out after I get home definitely helps get my frustrations out and I'm thankful for that. I've been trying short meditations as well - breathe in, breathe out..... be in the moment.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 10:21 AM  
Carol K

I understand Annette. I was laid off from my last employer after 23 years, and in retrospect, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was just lucky to be able to start a new career in my 50s.
Old 02-29-20, 10:37 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I understand Annette. I was laid off from my last employer after 23 years, and in retrospect, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was just lucky to be able to start a new career in my 50s.
Carol - This IS my new career! I was laid off 10 years ago after 30 years with the same company. I was 51 at the time and so thankful to find something that I thought would carry me through to 65.

Where I am now seems to be going down the same path as my previous company.. I suppose that's just the way it is these days in corporate America. It's very brutal sometimes. The same thing happened to my husband 5 years ago - 29 years at the same place working his way up with long hours, lots of travel taking him away from family time then wham!

We still have a lot to be thankful for however! One day at a time, right?
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 10:49 AM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
The cost definitely has me hesitating to pull the trigger but I am just SO done with working full time. The work environment where I am is becoming toxic and the dread factor is high. I suppose I could look for something part time where I could possibly have insurance but, call me lazy, I really don't want to work anymore.

Dana, if you didn't go through the ACA where did you find your insurance? Maybe I haven't researched thoroughly but the few private insurance companies I've contacted handle only the typical home owners, car etc.
My husband (59) and I (62) are planning on quitting our very stressful jobs this year and moving cross country to California, where my daughter has been living for the past 5 years. We actually were just about to pull the trigger on a condo we really liked in Monterey county when I decided to do a double check on the state exchange for health care policies. Well let me tell you that there were very few options on or off the exchange and the prices were so high that I called my husband and told him forget it we can't afford to live there. We are depressed because this is our dream area. Fortunately there is another area in Ca we are considering and while healthcare is expensive there are more options and I think we will be okay if we can find part time jobs. Although I am eligible for SS this year I would like to wait and collect a larger benefit.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 11:01 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Carol - This IS my new career!
We still have a lot to be thankful for however! One day at a time, right?
I count my blessings everyday.
Old 02-29-20, 11:17 AM  
DD546

You could check into health cost sharing options. There are several out there. They can provide a viable option. I had a period of time when I was without health insurance, and I had to have surgery with unanticipated complications. I had to negotiate with healthcare providers on the cost, but the cost sharing came through for me. Read all the conditions and look at the various option out there. I did a lot of research before I selected the one I went with. I admit it's a bit scary to go this route, but my experience and those of others I have known has been positive.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 01:19 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD546 View Post
You could check into health cost sharing options. There are several out there. They can provide a viable option. I had a period of time when I was without health insurance, and I had to have surgery with unanticipated complications. I had to negotiate with healthcare providers on the cost, but the cost sharing came through for me. Read all the conditions and look at the various option out there. I did a lot of research before I selected the one I went with. I admit it's a bit scary to go this route, but my experience and those of others I have known has been positive.
Very interesting! I had never heard of this but looked into it after reading your post and found a few (all were religion based). It does seem like an option.
Old 02-29-20, 02:03 PM  
Gams

I know I already mentioned this up thread, but the people I know who are enrolled in the healthcare share programs are very happy with them. (Although many are religion based, not all of them are.)
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement