Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-18, 06:42 PM  
sherry7899

Liane Moriarty has a new book called "Nine Perfect Strangers" coming out in October. Jodi Picoult has a new book coming out October 9th.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-18, 07:15 PM  
donnamp

Thanks, Sherry- I will probably want to read those....although I haven't read one of Jodi's in a long time. Is the most recent one The Storyteller? I got burned out on WWII fiction for a time there.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-18, 10:52 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Liane Moriarty has a new book called "Nine Perfect Strangers" coming out in October. Jodi Picoult has a new book coming out October 9th.
Thank you for posting. I really enjoyed Jodi Picoult's last book, Small Great Things, but Liane's Moriarity's Truly Madly Guilty not so much!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-18, 10:53 AM  
isebelleg44

Forgot to ask Sherry, how did you like The Great Alone?

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-18, 11:03 AM  
sherry7899

I cannot say I liked The Great Alone. I did finish it. It was interesting for the setting, but very depressing.

I was not crazy about Liane's last book, but I asked my library to order her upcoming release.

Donna, Jodi"s last book was "Small Great Things."

Old 05-31-18, 03:58 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Marie Bostwick's newest Kindle version, Just in Time, is on sale for $2.99. This is as now, 4:54 pm on May 31. I have no idea how long that price will last.

I'm reading one of the newer Maisie Dobbs books, In This Grave Hour, and Mairead O'Driscoll's A Moment in Time. I'm just starting them, but I'm into them both.

I tried The Great Alone and quit around page 80. She used to write about normal people that had bad things happen to them and the story was about how they handled it. Now, to me, she seems to write about desperate people that I don't get and/or can't bond with in desperate situations. That's my description and I can see how others would like her writing.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-18, 04:01 PM  
sherry7899

Laura, I borrowed the Marie Bostwick from my library. I did enjoy it.

I am reading several books at once:

Three Secrets by Clare Boyd
The Story of Us by Dani Atkins
The Recipe Box by Viola Shioman

I also bought a new biography about Robin Williams

I finished Emma Hannigan's last book "Letters to My Daughters." It was bittersweet since the author has passed away after a long battle with cancer.

Old 06-01-18, 11:39 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Jeannine, I don't know the answer, but there is thread on good reads called "What is the Name of that Book." I have used it several times successfully:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show...e-of-that-book
Love this! Thanks for posting, Beth.

Most of my reading lately has been middle grade/YA fantasy. Beyond Madeline L'Engle, Narnia and The Hobbit, I was never much into fantasy as a kid, preferring mysteries and horse books, so it has been fun going back to discover old authors, especially women writers like Susan Cooper and Diana Wynne Jones. I read Howl's Moving Castle and loved it, and am now working through the Chrestomanci books.

I also read two books by contemporary author Frances Hardinge, discovered via the Tor.com blog which a great resource if you enjoy sci fi or fantasy writing. Cuckoo Song I liked a lot but The Lie Tree was just ok. She has a creepy, quirky vibe similar to Neil Gaiman.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 03:45 PM  
difit

New Summer reading thread

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...82#post2776182
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-18, 03:21 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I recently finished On Being an Introvert or Highly Sensitive Person. I got it to review, but I noticed that I have slight leanings for both. It's a very short, easy-to-read book for anyone interested
Only because of your post, I read more about "highly sensitive people" than I had in years. I haven't seen that book yet, but as an inveterate user of "psychological tests" that don't look suspicious or require me to submit my e-mail address , I tried the quick test on Dr. Elaine Aron's website several times over different days. (Each time, there's a slightly different set of questions.)

The results were more interesting than I expected. As I've known for years, I'm not overstimulated by things like pain, loud noises, hunger, or caffeine, and I probably don't share certain emotional responses of a typical "highly sensitive person." I consistently score around the threshold, though, because I answer "yes" to enough of the other questions, especially if I interpret "somewhat true" broadly enough. (For example, I check the questions about conscientiousness and disliking certain kinds of pressure.)

We could restate that last paragraph in the other direction: although I answer "yes" to enough questions, I don't seem to match a good chunk of what "highly sensitive" means.

I'm not attached to being or to not being "highly sensitive," "not highly sensitive," or even in some possible intermediate state. (I don't want to be in either "the majority" or "the minority" for the sake of being "special," being "[reassuringly] normal," not being "weird," or not being "[boringly] ordinary." I also don't want to avoid being either "oversensitive" or "insensitive.")

Whatever I am, the subject is at least mildly interesting. This idea also hasn't taught me anything entirely new yet about my exercise-related thoughts and habits, but thinking about the idea has suggested some connections that I hadn't considered before.

I've known for longer that I'm an introvert--not an extreme one but a definite one--and I've known of some related influences how my exercise habits, though not extremely strong influences.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading