Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-18, 09:54 AM  
Loriann

[QUOTE=upperwside;2771128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post

ETA: I am looking forward to reading A Gentleman In Moscow in July for book group. I can't start it now because I lent it to my BIL.

A Gentleman In Moscow was one of my favorite books I have read in a long time!! So good, you will fall in love with The Count! You may like to read The Revolution Of Marina M after.. also one of my favorites and there will be a part 2!!!
I am about 85 pages into A Gentleman in Moscow and am already in love.... I am not sure that would have picked this book up on my own, but it was loaned to me by the same person who gave me The Rent Collector. Clearly I need to get more recommendations from her . I will add The Revolution of Marina M to my list now too. Thanks!
Lori
Old 04-28-18, 10:02 AM  
sherry7899

I struggled to finish "After Anna" by Lisa Scottonline. " It had endless court scenes and flashbacks and a rushed ending.

I am starting "Before I Let You Go" by Kelly Rimmer.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-18, 10:09 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I can't keep up with you guys. Partly because I mostly do audible so only do one book a month unless the deal of the day looks good. Haven't figured out how to borrow audible books yet. At any rate..... reading some of these recommendations reminds me that the mom of a friend of my kid's wrote a book called My Half of the Sky (Jana McBurney-Lin). I enjoyed it and thought some of you might want to check it out.

My two most recent books were The Daughter and The Wife Between Us. I enjoyed them both.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-18, 10:14 AM  
sherry7899

Bee, our book tastes overlap. I read both of your recent books.

I also read Abbi Waxman's second book. It was enjoyable, but I liked her first book much more. That one focused on one main character. Her second book "Other People's Houses" has too many characters so you did not get to know them as well.

I ordered "The Recipe Box" from Amazon about generations of a family who passed along recipes.

Old 04-28-18, 06:22 PM  
isebelleg44

Love seeing what everyone is reading and how diverse all our tastes are.
Don't you love when two very popular books you request from the library come in at the same time?

I have the Great Alone by Kristin Hannah and Every Note Played by Lisa Genova that I picked up today. I will probably start Lisa Genova's first, since it is shorter. I like all her books, but only loved Still Alice.

I have to finish My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal first. A quick read about British boy in foster care.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-18, 06:38 PM  
sherry7899

Isebelle, I have the Lisa Genova book on request from my library A sweet VF friend is sending me the Kristin Hannah book when she is done with it. I am on the reserve list at my library for it, but it will be a long wait.

Old 04-29-18, 12:16 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Bee, our book tastes overlap. I read both of your recent books.
I think somewhere in my brain I remembered that we liked similar books, which is why I ended up getting The Daughter after having seen you talk about it here. At least I think it was the daughter book and not the wife book. That Recipe Box books sounds intriguing......
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 12:45 PM  
sherry7899

Bee, after I ordered "The Recipe Box" I found out my library has it. Oh well! It arrived today. I love Amazon Prime.

Old 04-29-18, 02:40 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I've been reading a lot of e-books, mostly from my library on my Fire tablet. I use Overdrive, but Hoopla has a lot of audio books (both work with my library card.)
I started "treadmill reading" several months ago, because I was sitting too darn much. I walk around 3 MPH and read at the same time. If it's a good book I go 20 minutes easily, without realizing it, but always do 11 minutes minimum, several times a day. I figured if you need 10 minutes to make it count I'd do 11 to be safe

I'm reading "Inheriting Edith" by Zoe Fishman now, and consistently going past the 11 minute mark. It's about a single mother, who inherits a house, and the person who left it to her wanted her to take care of her 80 something mother, who is in early Alzheimers. Not depressing, although that sounds like it could be.
I've been looking for lighter, easy reads, and thought about VF and this thread a week or two ago.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 06:08 PM  
JezthePuff2

I'm in the middle of The Alice Network for my book club. It's very good, but I'm so burned out on WWII books. I'm also finishing up Unshakable by Tony Robbins, which is a finance/investing book.

Recently I read The Wife Between Us, which I really enjoyed.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading