Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-20, 12:47 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Cynthia did you have pain/discomfort?

And if you did have pain, do you still have pain/discomfort?
Yes I did. My right knee is bone on bone. I opted not to have surgery after a torn meniscus. Had PT and get an injection of hylauronic acid (fake synovial fluid) twice a year. I very rarely have any pain now and I'm 73. The only Pure Barre moves I modify are sitting on your heels -- I don't sit, I stay upright on my knees (on a doubled mat, even when the rest of the class is not using a mat), and fast moves holding onto the barre and sitting (imaginary chair) and standing. The deep squat action doesn't bother me but the quickness does, so I keep it slow & controlled.

Pure Barre is the only franchise in my area. I have been to Barre3, Bar Method, and Cardio Barre. I don't consider Barre3 a workout; it's less rigorous than a Pure Barre warmup. I have Pure Barre DVDs and like them. I remember 6 years ago after recovering from (not knee-related) surgery, doing a Pure Barre DVD and wondering how much longer it was going to go on, it was so hard; and then Carrie Dorr Rezabek cheerfully said we're almost through with the warmup.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 01:36 AM  
yoga1566

I had to have a labral tear repair in my hip a few years ago and, once I was off crutches, I asked my PT how soon I could start easing back into my Ballet Beautiful workouts. She looked at me with a panicked expression and asked, "Oh no, do you mean barre?"

It was weird, but apparently barre workouts were a complete no-go and was something I couldn't even consider until I was completely discharged from their program and even then, they recommended against it. I don't know why exactly but I think it had to do with the limited range of motion in the exercises and hyper focus on the quads. Once I explained a typical BB workout, they gave me the thumbs up for that method (slowly and after a certain point in my recovery). Make of that what you will, just figured I'd share in case hearing my experience helped in any way!
yoga1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 07:19 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Yes I did. My right knee is bone on bone. I opted not to have surgery after a torn meniscus. Had PT and get an injection of hylauronic acid (fake synovial fluid) twice a year. I very rarely have any pain now and I'm 73. The only Pure Barre moves I modify are sitting on your heels -- I don't sit, I stay upright on my knees (on a doubled mat, even when the rest of the class is not using a mat), and fast moves holding onto the barre and sitting (imaginary chair) and standing. The deep squat action doesn't bother me but the quickness does, so I keep it slow & controlled.

Pure Barre is the only franchise in my area. I have been to Barre3, Bar Method, and Cardio Barre. I don't consider Barre3 a workout; it's less rigorous than a Pure Barre warmup. I have Pure Barre DVDs and like them. I remember 6 years ago after recovering from (not knee-related) surgery, doing a Pure Barre DVD and wondering how much longer it was going to go on, it was so hard; and then Carrie Dorr Rezabek cheerfully said we're almost through with the warmup.
How many times a week do you do barre workouts? I'm 63 and struggling to find a balance in my workouts between working out and feeling beat up. I'm doing Jessica Smith's Fusion February workout right now and not feeling so good; I'm pondering either cutting back Jessica's workouts to 3 days a week or switching to Bar Method (online - no barre studio of any kind within 100s of miles) and pilates.

Those hylauronic acid injections are pretty darn good (but painful, at least in the hands).

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 09:29 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupam View Post
I live in Pittsburgh and graduated from Penn State in 1971.
Ahhh ok we have one opening here in central Pa where I live, too!

PSU class of '97
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 10:44 AM  
psupam

I love central PA. My first job out of college was in a state prison in Bellefonte so I lived in the area for 10 years. My hairdresser now lives in that area since she married someone from up there and she is interested in starting Essentrics up there.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 10:49 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupam View Post
I love central PA. My first job out of college was in a state prison in Bellefonte so I lived in the area for 10 years. My hairdresser now lives in that area since she married someone from up there and she is interested in starting Essentrics up there.
Oh wow an Essentrics class would be amazing. My MIL would love it, too!

I was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area, near Monroeville. Overall I prefer western Pa to this area (Harrisburg/Hershey) but it certainly has its charms.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 02:50 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
How many times a week do you do barre workouts?
Carol
Usually 3 times a week.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pure barre