Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-15, 04:24 PM  
vplan

I could not agree more with Joni, sounds as you have to be on the same page with your husband first, Cristina.
Old 01-11-15, 04:45 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I never had a follow-up where they checked to see if the hubs were sealed.

Cristina, it seems to me that you and you husband need to deal with your difference of opinion about more children before you worry about battling with a doctor.
Yes, this fundamental disagreement could set the stage for very bad repercussions in the future. You both need to be on the same page about this very important issue.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Old 01-11-15, 04:58 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Yes, this fundamental disagreement could set the stage for very bad repercussions in the future. You both need to be on the same page about this very important issue.
Yes I agree 100%!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 01-11-15, 05:12 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I also agree. I know a couple that divorced over this issue.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 01-11-15, 05:31 PM  
cristinalatina

You are all correct. It might be an attempt to close the issue on my behalf, but it may indeed backfire.

Thank you all very much for listening, and for the invaluable advice.
Old 01-11-15, 06:00 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I chose the tubal ligation over vasectomy for DH because I had strong personal reasons for not wanting to have another child. I never had a problem with it. The only difficulty I had was dealing with the abdominal gas afterward - they pump up your abdomen so it is easier for the docs to see what they're doing. That "passed" and all was fine. I have no regrets, love my one DS and gave him the best I could.

I wish you all the best with your decision and discussions.
Old 01-11-15, 08:32 PM  
JulieIL

I'm relieved that the issue of being of the same page as your partner was brought up. Honestly Cristina, I just believe that there has to be another way to solve this issue for the immediate time. Maybe a relationship counselor would help DH appreciate your perspective & keep the communication positive.

In my circumstance the sides were reversed: I definitely wanted more children & DH didn't. I'd wanted a large family consistently since childhood; DH told me for years he did but later (when I was ready to go for a third) admitted he agreed because he thought I'd leave if he didn't. The issue still causes pain for me, though I am sincerely grateful for my 2 amazing teenage sons that he did agree to have. If DH had gone ahead & gotten snipped, especially when we were in our 20s, I would have stayed, though I have a bad feeling it may have come up again. Obviously, he had a right to not have more children, but something about making the decision for both of us so abruptly would have made me feel disrespected, even if that is wrong-I'm just being honest. I was respectful, obviously, by not having any children "accidentally," which I was shocked to find was fairly common among friends. We both treasure our family as it is now.

This is just such an important, emotional decision for you both, that it just seems wise to proceed cautiously. I hope I didn't overstep & sound judgmental- this has just been a big issue in our lives.
Old 01-11-15, 08:56 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

My SO of 4 years and I actually broke up because he wanted kids and I didn't. It was a huge loss for me, but I felt strongly enough that I wouldn't change my mind. It's never a decision to take lightly.
Old 01-11-15, 10:10 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

When I first met my husband of over 30 years, he had recently broken up a long relationship because she wanted children and he didn't. He was so sure he didn't want children that he had a vasectomy as a single man. He mourned the relationship but knew they'd never be happy together.

Since I was also sure I didn't want children, we were a great match (well, for more reasons than that, but it can be a real deal-breaker).

I'll echo Joni that having children, not having children, or having more children, is never a throwaway decision.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Old 01-12-15, 03:46 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

I'm going to have to be a dissenting voice here

It's your body. It's your life and your sanity.
It's your choice.

Don't let cultural expectations or relationships define you or make choices for you.

Tags
off-topic, tubal ligation, vasectomy