Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-18, 02:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

the classes and DVDs have some differences, and similarities like lacking cueing. if I had to choose, I prefer the DVDs.

in our city, there are lots of zumba classes and also jazzercise, all full.

this thread I started might interest you:
Cueing, zumba, and zumba classes

that said, I still have my Exhilarate set and the Rizer series, which I have yet to do. the music is fun, and it's a nice change of pace once in a while. of all the Zumba instructors on video, I like Beto the best. I tend to not reach for Zumba too much, and when I need a "dance" fix, I go to Shaun T instead (HHA or Rockin Body).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 02:40 PM  
TracyQ

When Zumba got really popular the gym I used to go to on my lunch hour changed all the lunch hour Yoga and Pilates classes that I loved so much to Zumba. I tried it and didn’t like it at all. I gave up my membership and now I walk on my lunch hour. All these years later I still miss those live Yoga and Pilates classes.

My mother OTOH does Zumba at her senior center and loves it.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 03:06 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Yea, I'm not a fan...

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 03:19 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I love dance based cardio workouts, and I tend to prefer learning choreography, but I do really like the Zumba DVDs, and I think I have most of them. However, I have gone to a few classes and really don't like Zumba in a live class setting. Then again, I am not a fan of group exercise to begin with, so that probably has much more to do with it than the fact that it's Zumba. But like other people have mentioned, the live class experience is so dependent on the individual instructor, and I also didn't feel like I got as much out of the group class experience as I do when I do these workouts at home.

I enjoy a lot of dance workouts that are Zumba-ish, like Christi Taylor's Pure Spice, the ReFit workouts, Dance Fitness with Jessica (although she tends to use the exact same moves over and over and over, but she still makes it fun!), etc.
Old 01-17-18, 03:24 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I absolutely love live Zumba classes. I absolute hate Zumba on DVD. It's like apples and oranges to me, not the same experience at all...

As far as "not doing very much," when I was Zumbaing regularly, my heart rate and calorie burn were very similar to the same amount of time spent running... I think like most exercise, it depends on the enthusiasm you put into it. And I put in a lot. lol.

It's a bummer when something you really don't like takes over the landscape so much, though; things that are so popular can really crowd everything else out. Gyms and community centers need to make money, and they do that by offering what is popular. If you like something else, well, it can be tough to find. Which stinks.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 03:32 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
It's a bummer when something you really don't like takes over the landscape so much, though; things that are so popular can really crowd everything else out. Gyms and community centers need to make money, and they do that by offering what is popular. If you like something else, well, it can be tough to find. Which stinks.
Yeah...I'm still waiting for a park district around here to offer kettlebell classes!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 04:15 PM  
antbuko

I dislike it! I haven't tried the DVDs but I've taken a class and I couldn't wait for it to be over. The class was full and everyone was very enthusiastic about it and loving it except me, lol. I just don't like dance workouts I guess. I prefer more athletic hi/lo.
Old 01-17-18, 06:53 PM  
Tanja

I have been going to a few live Zumba classes, which feel more like traditional hi-lo classes. NOT impressed. But live classes are only as good as the instructor - so we will all have different experiences.

I am on the fence for Zumba on DVD. Currently, I am having a lot of fun with Cize and Hip Hop Abs and don't feel the need to buy any Zumba dvds.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 06:54 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I've been to maybe 2 Zumba classes that didn't have cueing, and I've been to hundreds off and on for maybe 10 years.

Classes vary a lot. I haven't been to any that weren't at least equivalent to a walking workout and I've been there was one instructor who was so fast and so intense I couldn't figure out what she was doing. Had to watch the other people in the class. Music also varies a lot, from Latin and hits with words, to electronic and sometimes just bad music.

I go to 24 Hour Fitness and all of the Zumba classes are at least intermediate if you follow the instructor.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 07:15 PM  
killoffsonny

I did it for a couple of years. Stopped just because I got tired of it and it also started bothering my knees....like step. One thing that always bothered me about zumba was the no cueing. You have to watch and just learn the steps. I got used to it but never really cared for it. I like cueing.

Tags
dislike, zumba