Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-18, 02:17 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Tried the Mixed Cardio/Pull today --

Pros: Burned 450 calories w/o really killing myself, modified almost all cardio to just one foot take off (instead of two; hope that makes sense!), the weight section had some newer moves and really packed a punch, I don't think I've worked my biceps like this

Cons: Not sure how "mixed" this cardio really is, music is really boring, where's the 45-min range premixes???, cueing while we're doing the exercise is challenging while trying to come up a modifiable cardio to do, double tuck jumps (really?!), did about half poundage dumbbells for the upper body work (lol'ed when she said she's keeping the 35 lb barbell for biceps!), no abs on this one, the case is the worst!

But gosh darn that woman doesn't age! I've been with Cathe since 1993, and wish I looked half as good as she does.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 04:05 PM  
marki64

Is there the option for voice only on this set? I can pump in my own music through IHeart.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 04:54 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Tried the Mixed Cardio/Pull today --

...But gosh darn that woman doesn't age! I've been with Cathe since 1993, and wish I looked half as good as she does.
**Sigh** Yes, Cathe is very fit and obviously works hard at it. BUT. She has obviously had "help" as well so unless you've done the same you (and I) don't stand a chance of looking like she does. Her choice, and I can't imagine what it's like being in the public eye and subject to constant scrutiny and competition with younger instructors. Just mentioning this without going too crazily off topic and unintentionally creating controversy.

I tend to agree that I wouldn't exactly call this "mixed impact" either, but I guess it is or could be depending on whether or not you modify. There were some different moves in it, and I appreciate that.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 07:16 PM  
angie_nrs

Boxing Bootcamp/Legs & Glutes

Today was Boxing Bootcamp with Legs and Glutes. From the start Cathe starts with a LOT of punching movements. I was kinda wondering when they were gonna be done. The warm up is pretty long at about 11 minutes. After that, the time passed much quicker. I liked the rest of the workout and the 3 cycles....not too difficult but not a waste of time either. However, her cueing does leave much to be desired. I didn't notice the music too much but it certainly wasn't inspiring either.

The leg section definitely gets the job done! I didn't like the slide section but again, most can easily be done without slides. During the portion when she does the curtsy lunges, I was already pretty spent so I lost the slides during the second part of each side. Plus, I tend to start having some balance issues when my legs get fried and I didn't want to risk my knees using the slides. She does pulse you almost to death toward the end of the w/o. It definitely got to be a bit much....but it leaves something to work up to. There was no floor work at all, so those who don't like floor work, you'll probably like this.

I was hoping for a really thorough stretch and I didn't really get it. I get better and deeper stretches on the floor and she did all the stretches standing. I usually don't add extra stretches, but I did today! I really felt my legs and knees as I walked up the stairs after the workout. My knees are pretty healthy so I wasn't really expecting to feel it there.....but I did. I will likely be reaching for this when I want a good leg workout. For me, I'd rate it a 8.5 or 9 out of 10.
Old 01-03-18, 09:01 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Angie's comment about the length of the boxing warmup brings up a question that I have wondered about. Cathe seems to do extended warmups before her kickbox/boxing workouts (like Kick, Punch & Crunch especially) but I haven't noticed the same for other workouts with a similar format. Susan Chung doesn't have a super long warmup, for example. Is this a Cathe thing or should we really warm up for 9 to 11 minutes for a kickbox/boxing workout?

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 09:26 PM  
marki64

Low Impact Metabolic Conditioning

My dvds finally came and after work I did the Low Impact/Metabolic Cond. I really liked it. I was expecting boredom but it moved quickly. I didn't like the use of the discs for the cardio and I made it more higher impact w/out discs. I liked the weight section and thought the discs added a good challenge. Even though she has rehashed cardio, she adds a little spin on it.

My only complaint is when she goes off beat. I find this so annoying. But I can use my own music. I also was hoping for a little more of a sweatfest, but this will be great for morning workouts when I am less energetic. I am sure next time I can up the cardio a bit.

Overall, it gets an A!
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 09:30 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I pay no attention to music unless it’s too obtrusive (like in Rhythmic Step for example) so I didn’t notice it being as bad as some have mentioned.
Oh my word, Rhythmic Step had some of the worst music I think she's ever used. When I previewed it, I didn't think I'd ever be able to do that workout. Fortunately, it didn't bother me as much when I was doing the workout as when I previewed.

I've done two of the Fit Splits and previewed another and I don't think the music is that awful either. And I'm relieved!
Old 01-04-18, 07:21 AM  
Rhonda

I did my own premix this morning for boxing/Legs.

I did the warmup (didn't expect it to be so long), then did the first combo, then did legs (cutting out the last two exercises) and then the stretch (if that is what you want to call it).

I wanted to try all the sections but my time is limited in the morning. Not sure why the warmup is so long and boy did she get right into it. I wasn't expecting it to be so quick and fast punches right away. First combo was decent.

The legs I thought moved at a pretty quick pace. Again I wasn't expecting it to move so fast as I wanted to used heavier weights but due to how quickly it moved (it could just be me) I stuck with 8s and 10s.

I liked this one better than the metabolic conditioning one.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 08:15 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Is there the option for voice only on this set? I can pump in my own music through IHeart.
Yes, at least on the three disks I previewed, so I assume it is on all the disks.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 09:13 AM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I did my own premix this morning for boxing/Legs.

I did the warmup (didn't expect it to be so long), then did the first combo, then did legs (cutting out the last two exercises) and then the stretch (if that is what you want to call it).
This is the type of premix I thought and wished she would've done instead of the premixes i can do really easy myself. I was hopimg for some circuit workouts alternating back and forth between the cardio segments and weight segments.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, fit split, fit split reviews