Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-08, 10:08 AM  
tinamatas

Question Recumbent bike with low back pain?

So who has a recumbent bike and is able to use it successfully for a moderate intensity cardio workout even with low back and/or SI joint pain? I've had a flare-up that has lasted for almost two months now and it just will NOT go away this time (I'm 44 and have been dealing with back pain off and on for years). Even gentle walking and Leslie's workouts are bothering me, often causing the pain to travel down my left leg (in the front or side area) and sometimes into my foot with slight numbness and tingling. I've been to several doctors and all I seem to get from them are take ibuprofen (helps sometimes but not always) and muscle relaxants (can't tolerate their side effects and they don't help anyway). I've read a bit about recumbent bikes and am getting conflicting opinions on whether they are good or harmful for someone with low back pain. So I'm trying to figure out how to get my daily cardio in - 30 to 60 minutes daily about five times a week is my goal to prevent the weight gain that has started creeping up on me this year - and I'd would love to know what others maybe in a similar situation have found works for them.

Thanks!

Tina
tinamatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 11:17 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Hi Tina,
I'm sorry I don't know anything about the recumbent bike, but I have plenty of personal experience with low back pain. I swear by my inversion table, which I got used off Craigslist. You might want to do a search here on VF for Viniyoga, Egoscue, and also Trigger Point therapy. Also, if you haven't already I would stop by a good running store or see a podiatrist about whether you need special shoes/inserts to correct an imbalance. Some people here have also healed their lower backs with kettlebell training (just be very careful on form) and with Miracle Balls.

Here is another old thread that may help. I hope you don't have to live with pain any longer!
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ight=back+pain
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 11:29 AM  
IvysMom

i used one at dh's work's gym during my 2nd pregnancy without any problems. it is a really good choice when you have low back pain.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 12:08 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

My recumbent is collecting dust right now but it is great if you have low back pain (as does my DH). Your back is supported the entire time and you can adjust how much you slouch in the big ole seat. But I think it depends on what kind of things bother your back. I'd try one at a fitness store.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 04:24 PM  
jacs

Hi Tina, I have recurring bouts of lower back pain, and a couple of years ago, after lots of research, bought a Greenspeed recumbent trike (to ride outside, not an exercise bike). It is great! I was able to do a 500km supported ride in comfort with no sign of pain, which is more than I can say for my travel companion who had a very sore tush by the end of it.

During winter I have it set up on the roller indoors (takes up a lot of room) with the roller under the back wheel. Not quite the same thing but definitely exercise. Haven't used it so much lately, but I definitely recommend it.

The only draw back was the price, which was on the high side for me. One thing to watch out for on either a trike or an exercise trike is the angle of the seat as they vary quite a lot.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 09:06 PM  
Kimberly33

Something you might want to check is the bike fit. I could see how the wrong distance between the seat and the pedals could irritate your low back and SI.

If it's been bothering you this long, you should probably consider checking in with your doctor. A trip to a physical therapist might really be helpful.

One thing I know about myself--two things seem to affect my SI. First--if I let my core get weak. Second--if my hamstrings get weak and/or my hip flexors tight, my SI joint will start to bother me. The fitness fix videos really help, and the Barbara Benagh Yoga for Stress Relief (the SI practice).

I hope you feel better soon!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recumbent bike