Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-20, 02:20 PM  
cyana

Barefoot & On The Mat: Jan. 12-18, 2020 "The roots of all goodness...."

The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness. - Dalai Lama

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread. This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of work-outs, but have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc., - or even if you prefer doing traditional work-outs without shoes, you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 02:30 PM  
cyana

There are so many wonderful Dalai Lama quotes.....I could fall into the world's deepest rabbit hole trying to dig through them all to come up with a favorite. This one jumped out at me this week, as I was amazed at all the beautiful, fresh, local produce available at my farmer's market yesterday - in January! So roots and soil definitely struck a chord.

Several of the more amusing quotes attributed to the Dalai Lama:

Computers make me totally blank out. (I think we've all experienced that one!!)

And one of my absolute favorites, always guaranteed to make me smile:

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.

I finally feel fairly normal today - hooray!!! And I shall be back after I get my work-outs finished for the day.

Old 01-12-20, 04:27 PM  
JustSandra

Hi all!

Cyana, thank you for starting us off, and for the wonderful Dalai Lama quotes!

I didn't manage a workout yesterday -- my usual Saturday issues. Weather permitting, though. starting next Saturday I plan to walk to/from my library job (4 miles round trip) in order to get at least *something* in!

Have been doing some walking already today. My niece and I took my grandniece to a children's park in downtown Sacramento called Fairytale Town. Very cute! However, on the way home my grandniece told me she still wants a walk with her "Nani" this afternoon.

I'm planning to join in the latest Essentrics 30-Day Challenge, which starts tomorrow. Although I do have some issues with CS/Essentrics, I also know I feel better when I do those workouts regularly.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 04:48 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hah cyana I remember that mosquito quote! Glad you are feeling better today. I have my fingers crossed that my own recent migraines have passed too.

Sandra, sounds like a nice outing; sweet that you are Nani to your grand-niece!

I went to yoga class this morning at one of my favorite studios which just moved to a new space; I saw some friends there, which was nice. It was a basics class, but included some foam rolling and ballwork, so very . Also, the instructor is so knowledgeable that I always feel I learn from her. One different thing we did today was low lunge with the back knee on a block.

This was my first full week of my yoga sadhana, with today being Day 12.

Monday
Bellyfit Elements - Fire
Yoga with Tim (YT) - Full Body Workout Yoga Challenge Day 6 (about 12m)

Tuesday
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Strong Shoulders, Level 3 and part of Level 4 (tougher!)
Blissology (YT) - At Least Do This Yoga

Wednesday
in office: Lucy Wyndham-Reed (YT) - 4m Arms
Schiffmann's Lotus

Thursday
TAUGHT yoga at studio
Yoga Journal Complete Guide to Home Yoga Practice - Energizing practice

Friday
Yoga Ranger (YT) - 15 Minute Back Flow/4 Movements of the Spine; Restorative Yoga for Upper Back, Shoulders, & Chest

Saturday
AM-PM Yoga - Get Up & Go
Super Sister Fitness (YT) - Best Shoulder Workout for Women
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Strong Shoulders Day 1 nice!
Fem Fusion Fitness (YT) - Improve Your Deep Squat (improvised some)

Sunday
Basics yoga class with ballwork with Cathy

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 05:09 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beauty to the Bone Program B all upper body work plus calves
Ballet Beautiful download: Butt Series Part 1

I usually do the upper body work in Program A from Beauty to the Bone but I thought I'd change it up today and do Program B.

Cyana, thank you for starting our week with the nice quote!

Beth, I'm glad your migraine is gone today.

Sandra, I think it's precious that your grandniece calls you Nani. It's wonderful that she wants to go on walks with you.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 06:26 PM  
gjv

I couldn't post until I knew the Chiefs were going to win. They needed me lol.

I did Get Healthy U, Walk and Lower Body Sculpt and then I added on a 1 mile walk from the same set. Still enjoying these workouts!

I'm glad everyone is starting to feel better!
Old 01-12-20, 07:52 PM  
cyana

Today:
30-45 minutes health bounce on the rebounder
MFML - Meditation: Soft Pause - Nikita Akilapa
MFML - Tune In Tune Up: The Heart Center - Andrea Kwiatkowski
MFML - Feet: Stability & Balance - Zephyr Wildman

If I do the feet practice again I'll definitely use my cork blocks, as the give of the foam blocks made that one really tough/tougher!

I've signed up for the MFML Small Steps Challenge that begins tomorrow. It's 28 days of practices in the 20 minute range. I have to set my goals and intentions and we're supposed to commit to writing 3 things every day that we're grateful for. The focus for week 1 is Happiness. They also do a weekly live chat on FB, but I don't do FB. And she's sending out a weekly recipe - this week is a split pea soup, but I don't have tamarind paste or leeks.

Sandra/Nani - Hope you had a good walk this afternoon. Hope you enjoy the C/S/Essentrics Challenge.

Gayle - Thanks for the cyber hug last week and for the compliment about my writing. I used to love to write. Then life got in the way. Congrats to your Chiefs!

Beth - Your yoga class sounded really nice and with some similarities to my favorite - Gentle (doesn't mean easy) Class. I enjoy really getting into the poses and not being rushed. What kind of ball were you using? I'll have to try the low lunge with the knee on the block - I could see where that would be helpful to many people. Glad you're feeling better! Oh, and thanks for the links to your YT headache videos - I did several of them on Friday.

Paine - I sure hope it warmed up in your area - those temps from last week seriously gave me the shivers. And you know what a cold weather wimp I am, even on a good day.

Waves to Linda, Carolyn, Anny and Garrie. And DonnaD if she's peeking in.

Here's hoping everyone feels better this week!

Old 01-12-20, 08:41 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, it's warmed up to 9 degrees F today. Yesterday it was -11 F. Brrrrr, that's too cold!
I did a lot of batch cooking today. I roasted a bunch of Japanese sweet potatoes (I love them!), I cooked a pot of black beans, a pot of brown rice, I steamed a big pot of broccoli, also steamed green beans and cooked some Swiss chard, I did a lot of veggie wash/chopping for salad for the week (celery, red bell peppers, shredded carrots, shredded red cabbage, washed romaine), I cooked a pot of lentil-vegetable soup and I washed blackberries and raspberries. We will eat that all week.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 11:17 AM  
gjv

First off, Paine! Yum!

I did Leslie's Tone Every Zone Walk this morning.

Cold and frosty here this morning. When I walked to work I had to really watch where I stepped because everything looked icy! But it was a great excuse to wear my cute, furry winter boots!
Old 01-13-20, 11:25 AM  
gjv

I just remembered! I have the complete set of Margaret Richard's Unplugged Series ready to give away if anyone wants them. A total of 8 dvds I think.