Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-12-20, 08:39 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - The Only Way I'll Drop 10 Pounds Is If I Go Shopping in England. 1/12

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 08:49 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I thought about themes around the topics of storms, winter, or bad home improvement jobs, but decided to go the way of Maxine with echoes of broken New Year's resolutions.

Today, I have some stuff to get done around the house, cooking and cleaning up some. Don't know what else we'll get into. The storms here seem to be over. It worked out well for us. It was cloudy all day with some sprinkles, but the hard rain happened overnight. The rain and winds are dying down.

Paula - I have a hard time comprehending dealing with that much imcompetence. My parents bought a new house here and had a few small things that needed to be corrected, but it was fairly easy. I can understand why you didn't live there all that long.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-12-20, 09:46 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Thanks for getting us started, Laura! on your title! Maxine does well! Glad last night's storms didn't do any harm for you - lots shown on the news of tornado damage down South moving towards you.

Paula, Wow, I can't believe the construction incompetence at your old place - that sort of terrifies me as a lot of the co-ops that I might consider are being built.

I did go see the Star Wars movie finally - lots of repeat customers in there, but no one spoiled it for me. Gus and I had a nice walk out there also.

Today I'm planning on giving Gus another nice walk. Otherwise putzing around a bit. Next week is doctor's week again - I see my glaucoma doctor on Monday and a new ankle doctor on Wednesday - still waiting for the cortisone injection appointment in the hip also.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 09:26 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No workout other than the PT rountine, which I have to do again before bed.

Learned a friend of mine has been moved into a hospice home. She's been ill, this is expected, but it's still hard to accept. All I can hope for on her behalf is a swift and easy passage, but I selfishly want to scream "NO, NOT YET".

Laura, thanks for getting us started and I enjoyed the theme. Maxine is always good at hitting the nail on the head. Yup, incompetence was a big issue with the first condo. The construction was shoddy all the way through. When we bought the place, i.e. put down our deposit we were told it had superior soundproofing and we would never hear the people living above us. That was the biggest lie of all. The couple who lived above us were nice people and not overly noisy but we heard every footfall as they walked accros their home. If we had had noisy neighbors above us we couldn't have even withstood four years.

Anita, just my opionion, but don't buy new construction. Buy where you can go into the place, spend some time there on different days of the week and different times of day and know what you are getting because in a retirement home you're probably not going to want to move again. I have a "doctors" week coming up too - two PT appointments, a dental appointment and a dermatology appointment - yuck, makes me feel as though I'm fall apart.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 07:59 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC, doing a bit of snow cleanup (about an inch), and walking Gus today. There's a new person at WRC that's very interested in turtles, so I may be training him to take over in there. I also have an eye doctor appointment to check on my glaucoma - this may be my last appointment with this doctor as he'll be retiring soon.

Paula, it's hard to say whether first owners of units in these retirement communities have the better deal or not - they get to chose cabinets and colors and flooring, and also the funding for the unit - second owners inherit all of that. Sorry about your friend in hospice - hope you'll still be able to visit her and say goodbye. Both my parents lived in hospice condition in their house - lots of extra help coming in for them every day. I think that worked because my brother and his wife lived there also.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-13-20, 09:13 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Chair cardio and strength plus the PT routine.

Anita, are you happy to have help with the turtles? Hope you and Gus had a nice walk. Even if your eye doctor is retiring, won't someone else be replacing him. Yes, it's true the first owners of a home get to chose the colors, appliances etc. In my case the trade off wasn't worth it. My mother was in "in home" hospice. The hospice nurse visited every day, we had quidance on what to give her when and we were there for her. But she was living in an "independent living with services" facility. Which meant there was help there. In my friends case, she was living with her daughter and SIL. When I spoke with her daugther (who I know) she was in tears but said she just couldn't care for her mother anymore as she (my friend) could no longer walk or talk and was pretty much helpless (her cancer has spread to her brain). I didn't call today, probably chicken of me, but I couldn't face it. Not sure I'll drive up there (it's a five hour drive). I spoke with her last Sunday, the 5th. She was repeating herself, yawning, sllurring her words and generally not making much sense - this is no like her at all, so I knew the disease had progressed.
Old 01-14-20, 09:19 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on shoveling, giving Gus a nice walk, and working at the circus tonight. Maybe running some errands today also. I've been into decluttering again this week, so lots to send off to new places.

Paula, just you and me again today, eh? I did train someone else on the turtles yesterday, I'll still be around for helping him in the next weeks. I do enjoy the turtle feeding, especially some that have very good appetites - I'll still be doing that on Fridays. It's a function some of the new people can do safely, I'm able to get in and do things like bats that need the rabies vaccine to be current in us. The bats have been very high in numbers lately and take a lot of time to do, so I appreciate the turtles not taking as much time. I will be seeing my eye doctor one more time before he retires - at the end of May. He'll be referring me to a specialty clinic in the future - they aren't hiring a replacement for him at this clinic. My mom had most of her hospice care at home, but there were a few weeks that she would be taken in to a facility for care and she didn't like that - they took her in there when they would leave town for things and also when they were recarpeting rooms that her husband stayed in before his death (lots of bio spillage in there). I'd get phone calls of her crying at that place . Sounds like your friend is nearing her end also - I'm sorry. Any chance of video conferencing with your friend before she passes? Visual input might help in conveying a message to her.

Happy birthday, Lexy!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-14-20, 04:42 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't know what happened yesterday. I even remember posting, but it's not there. I'm assuming that it's my memory and getting caught up in things, not the VF platform.

Yesterday, I got two blog posts put online. Today has been an off day from working on stuff because the cleaners came this morning and I had my infusion this afternoon. My joints are saying, "Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Paula - I'm sorry about your friend. It sounds like a hard situation. Would your friend know if you were there? Of course, it would seem too soon. Take care of yourself through the situation.

Anita - Ugh. It's hard to lose a doctor you've seen for a long time. It's good that there's someone willing to work with the turtles.

Lexy - Happy birthday!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-14-20, 08:56 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith Chair Cardio and Chair Strength and then the PT routine. I had PT this afternoon so not going to go throught it again this evening. I also had a dental appointment this morning where he removed a crown treated the decay under the crown. I now have a temporary crown for three week.

Happy Birthday, Lexy!

Anita, good to have help at the WRC. Yeah, I think my friends daughter had planned to keep my friend with her to the end - it just became too difficult. I haven't called since Sunday. I'll probably call the daughter tomorrow for an update. I don't think there's a point to face time or skype - my friend is too far gone. She might recognize me if I went there, not sure. Laura is right, it's hard to lose a doctor you've developed trust in.

Laura, I've lost some posts too. I was never sure how they disappeared. What a nice feeling of satisfaction to get two blogs posted. Glad you're feeling better after the infusion. After PT, I'm just achy.
Old 01-14-20, 09:46 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Well, we made it through the wild weather on Saturday, then got hit with more this morning. Just as DS was driving to work. Thunder, lightning, heavy rain, wind. I know I hate cold weather and snow, but 77-degree weather in January and stormy weather is weird. We were lucky not to lose power, though. Thousands of people in our county did. Saturday, that is. We watched TV weather coverage for over an hour as it approached. We didn't know what to expect, but we seem to have missed the worst of it.

Paula, I understand why you want to see your friend but don't. There is a similar dynamic going on in my family right now. It's hard. I'm sorry you're going through it.

Anita, did you enjoy the movie? I wish I could get into decluttering. I need to do it. I'm sure DH would appreciate it as well. I was looking through the Philatelic catalog today and noticed the post office will be issuing orchid stamps next month. Made me think of you.

Laura, I'm glad you're feeling well after the infusion. Your Maxine quote is spot on for me. Le sigh.

Everyone have a good night.