Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-20, 07:27 PM  
Lannette

No thank you, based upon their privacy policies:

Quote:
Personal Information We Collect

When you use our Services, we automatically collect the following information about you (collectively referred to as “Personal Information”):

Your device information which includes, but is not limited to, information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device
Individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Service, and information about how you interact with the Service
Your first and last name
Your email address
Your username associated with your Apple ID or Google Account
And

Quote:
How do we use your Personal Information?

We may use your personal information in several ways:

Serve you advertising from our advertising partners;
Provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services;
Store your product analysis and search history on the Service;
Screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address); and
To improve and optimize our Service (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Service, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
And

Quote:
Sharing your Personal Information

We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us use your Personal Information, as described above. We use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Service. You can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.

Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.

As described above, we may use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/un...w-does-it-work.

You can opt out of targeted advertising here:

Google - https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous

Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.

Do not track
Please note that we do not alter our Service’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 09:50 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
No thank you, based upon their privacy policies:
Yikes! Guess their entire business model is something I can't support.
Old 01-15-20, 09:58 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
No thank you, based upon their privacy policies
Lannette, I'm lost..your excerpts of policy are associated with what site?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.

Last edited by fanofladyvols; 01-15-20 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Error in quote corrected
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 02:43 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Many websites and most apps collect and share tons of information on people. Since Europe and California passed privacy laws, websites are revealing more about what they collect and share. Every site plants cookies. The New York Times has a series called The Privacy Project, and it is very illuminating!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 05:09 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Lannette, I'm lost..your excerpts of policy are associated with what site?
Fakespot.com

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 01-16-20, 05:17 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Many websites and most apps collect and share tons of information on people. Since Europe and California passed privacy laws, websites are revealing more about what they collect and share. Every site plants cookies. The New York Times has a series called The Privacy Project, and it is very illuminating!
I think every site does but if I’m reading correctly fakespot uses the info the collect from you to target you with ads. I knew there had to be a trade off - there always is.

It’s not that hard to spot fake reviews, especially with a newly listed product. Often you see multiple reviews on the same day with similar descriptions. On amazon you can sort for verified purchases. Fake reviews that are rated low often mention a better product to buy.

Old 01-16-20, 01:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
No thank you, based upon their privacy policies...
Nice detective work, Lannette!

I have Ghostery, AdBlocker Plus and have the strongest settings on FireFox to block ads and cookies. I clear my cache after every browsing session. I block so much stuff that sometimes websites don't even work, LOL!

Still, there is no total/guaranteed escape from privacy invasion.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 02:01 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Nice detective work, Lannette!

I have Ghostery, AdBlocker Plus and have the strongest settings on FireFox to block ads and cookies. I clear my cache after every browsing session. I block so much stuff that sometimes websites don't even work, LOL!

Still, there is no total/guaranteed escape from privacy invasion.
It’s the fact that they tell you that they ignore “Do Not Track” signals that really bothers me. I also kind of think the private stuff they’re collecting is more important than giving us any supremely dependable info on reviews.

Old 01-16-20, 02:20 PM  
Pam

On an iPhone, how can you see what cookies have been loaded to your phone and how can they be deleted? TIA!
Old 01-16-20, 02:25 PM  
SpiritYogi

I used Brave web browser -- https://brave.com/ -- and DuckDuckGo as my search engine -- https://duckduckgo.com/

They value user's privacy.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counterfeit products, fake products, fake reviews, privacy