Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-19, 10:13 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Cathe's StepSync

Today I did StepSync followed by the Bonus Intermediate Step Work out.

StepSync includes a warm up, three combos done separately and then together, a cooldown and stretch. It totals about 56 minutes.

Here are my impressions.

Con: I would have preferred a shorter warm up and a longer stretch. The warm up is about 7 minutes, the stretch is 2-3. I would have liked a 5 minute warmup and a 5 minute stretch. Yes, I know there are two bonuses with longer stretches, but I don't always want a 15 minute stretch.

That's really it for the "cons" and it is a very minor one.

Pros: Cathe's cuing is better than it has been in quite awhile. For me, the cuing in her four Day Split workouts was the beginning of the Late Cue Era. The moves in those workouts were not particularly complicated, but the cues were on the fly and therefore difficult to follow. That said, the cuing was very, very good in StepSync, IMHO.

The moves were largely variations of familiar moves that made them fresh and interesting, at least to me. The combinations flowed well and showed a creativity that reminded me of the "golden age" of step.

The repetition was enough to learn the combo without getting sick of it.

General: I'm very happy with this one, and I can see myself using it often. Time really flew by quickly! I do not think it was truly advanced in terms of intensity, but the choreography might be considered advanced by some. I didn't think it was that complicated, at least compared to Seasun Zieger or Amy Bento, but I've been doing step for a lot of years and tend to pick up the moves pretty quickly. I used an 8 inch step. I think it would not have been intense enough for me with the 6 inch step height I use most of the time.

I liked the music as background. It didn't interfere with concentrating on the moves. I'm not one that really cares about the music, though, unless it annoys me.

The Bonus Intermediate Step workout was 21 minutes and included a warmup, 2 combos and a cooldown. No stretch was included.

I wish a stretch had been included, as I can see people using this as a quick cardio workout and a stretch would have made it more complete.

There were 2 combos, and they primarily consisted of simpler versions of the moves used in StepSync.

General: This one would have been a great one to start with for someone who wants more breakdown and simpler combos. I think it's a great idea on Cathe's part to do this workout for those who aren't comfortable with step choreography with the intention of building up to StepSync.

I also liked this one. I will most likely be doing it as an add on since it's shorter than I usually do. It is a solid intermediate level IMHO. I also did it on an 8 inch step.

So far I'm very happy with these! I have been rekindling my love of step after not doing it often for years and this series really hits the spot.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 11:56 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review! How do you think the choreography compares to Party Rockin' 2?

Thanks!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 08:19 AM  
Hilary

I am in pretty much agreement with the first review. I've been doing Cathe and Christi step for a number of years, and I'd say this is a high intermediate in terms of choreography and a steady-state cardio. The only intensity comes during the finished product when Cathe does two sets of power boxes at the end of each of the three combos (and then she repeats all three combos again).

I'd say it's considerably easier in complexity than Party Rockin' Step One (the dancey one; I never do the second PRS). It's much easier to master, IMO, than Rhythmic Step or Step Blast or PRS1. I'd say it's most similar to Step Moves, just longer with more breakdown. I was able to get through all three combos with few missteps ... I had more trouble when she put all three together because I'd pretty much forgotten the first by that time. I have no doubt that by my third or fourth try, I'll get through it easily.

I love step and I'm glad Cathe's released another that's "old school" ... focusing pretty much on fun choreography without too much intensity. Goodness knows, you can find intensity in so many other of her workouts ... some days I just want to have fun!
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 10:15 AM  
gladgirl

Thanks for the reviews. Now, just waiting for my package patiently!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 11:11 AM  
Daffie

I haven’t had a chance to do the workout but previewed part of it from the download. I wish instructors would not do “teaching reps” in slow motion. After doing a workout a few times I will get the steps. Silly complaint....
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 11:16 AM  
pharma_gal

I did the intermediate step routine today before tackling the the advanced routine and I could do most of it so it gives me some hope to tackle the main one. But this routine doesn’t have a warm up either. I wish I would have added a warm up but you can do the first few mins low impact and count it as a warm up which I did but she jumps into the first combo right away so it is really a add on routine with no warm up or stretch.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 11:40 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
I did the intermediate step routine today before tackling the the advanced routine and I could do most of it so it gives me some hope to tackle the main one. But this routine doesn’t have a warm up either. I wish I would have added a warm up but you can do the first few mins low impact and count it as a warm up which I did but she jumps into the first combo right away so it is really a add on routine with no warm up or stretch.
Thanks, I'll do the warmup from the main workout first and go back and do the stretch later. After I get the intermediate workout down, I'll attempt the main workout. But it takes me awhile to get step.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 11:58 AM  
tiletha444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
I'm glad Cathe's released another that's "old school" ... focusing pretty much on fun choreography without too much intensity. Goodness knows, you can find intensity in so many other of her workouts ... some days I just want to have fun!
I totally agree!!! Happy to have more of this in my rotation.
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 02:18 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
I love step and I'm glad Cathe's released another that's "old school" ... focusing pretty much on fun choreography without too much intensity. Goodness knows, you can find intensity in so many other of her workouts ... some days I just want to have fun!
I'm regretting that I didn't pre-order. I've also been wanting more workouts that are fun with good music because there's SO MUCH high intensity, drill workouts. Just need more variety. Thankfully I have some Christi and other Cathe's that I need to learn, so hopefully this will satisfy me.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 08:49 PM  
buffmama

Are there premixes?

Tags
cathe step boss, step boss, step boss reviews, step sync