Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-19, 02:19 AM  
Sand

I have vitiligo universalis, meaning that I have no melanin left in my skin. I have a ton of hats and have tried so many sunblocks.

Because I use so much sunblock, the one I recommend the most is Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Water Resistant Sunscreen in 100+ because it's easy to find, it's affordable, it doesn't stand out and it blends in well.

I also have a ton of hats, I've been wearing hats regularly since I was a teen because my vitiligo spread onto my scalp and scalp burns are very painful! My favorite wide brim hats are from the San Diego Hat Company, they have a variety of colors and are wide enough to wear them during summer and they don't cost a lot!

Because my skin is so sensitive, I really pay attention to the UV index. I try to avoid going out during peak UV hours, especially during the summer. But believe me, I have gotten bad burns easily any time of year.

I have been burned at the dentist's office because they must have change the overhead light to a UV light. Now, I wear sun protective masks at my checkups.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 09:07 AM  
Sollamyn

I'm a natural redhead who is mildly allergic to the chemical sunscreens, especially on certain parts of my face. Last summer, I came across it (or IT or It--that's the brand name) Bye Bye Foundation Full Coverage Moisturizer with SPF 50. Since it's a moisturizer, sunscreen, and foundation all-in-one, I don't have as much trouble with pilling as I had had with my regular routine of moisturizer/sunscreen and foundation. Plus, it's a convenient single step when getting ready for my day. It came in really handy when I was on vacation and didn't want to spend tons of time getting ready to go out. A little goes a long way. The foundation is, indeed, full coverage!

HTH someone,
Donna
Old 12-19-19, 12:38 PM  
DBW

SPF hats and clothing from Coolibar

La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Sunscreen SPF 60 for face

For the body, inexpensive zinc oxide based products such as:

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/about-...ion%2C_SPF_50/

Don't forget to check your scalp for bumps and show them to your dermatologist
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 08:12 PM  
cyana

Clothing and hats from Solumbra (https://www.sunprecautions.com). Pricey - but I have worn mine on the boat while out scuba diving and while kayaking with some pieces being at least 15 years old and still in really good shape.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 11:23 PM  
primrosecat

Nothing to add, just want to say I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 02:44 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
My husband has had skin issues from sun exposure & flying polar routes for many years as a commercial pilot. He’s had basal cell carcinomas & ongoing issues with keratosis. He wears a wide brimmed micro fiber Tilley hat when he’s in the sun. It was pricey, but it’s light weight, provides great coverage of his face & neck, and washes up well. Here is the women’s version:
https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/catalog...t/category/31/
He has special RX creams from his dermatologist & I buy him a good facial sunscreen like Neutrogena that’s at least a 30 SPF.
Thank you for this recommendation. My mom has been looking for a sun hat just like this but didn't know where to get one. I measured her head and think I know what size she'll take but I'm going to have her try on the LTM6 which appears to be in stock at our local REI store to see what size fits best before we order anything. The LTM2 has a broader brim so we'll probably have to get it online in the end as it looks like REI doesn't carry that style. But at least we can get an idea of sizing.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 12:14 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Update:

We stopped in at an REI while doing some evening shopping tonight and ended up buying a khaki-colored Tilley LTM6 from the store. My measurements of my mom's head were waaaaayyyyy off so it's a good thing we went into a store to try them on because even if we had ordered multiple sizes online, they all would have been too small based on my measurements . Also, the LTM6 definitely had a wide enough brim for my mom. I looked up the difference in brim measurements between the LTM6 (most popular, stocked at REI) and the LTM2 (widest brim, not stocked at REI) on my phone while we were in the store.

The LTM2 does have an extra inch of brim on each side of the hat and just under half an inch extra brim on the front and on the back of the hat. We decided that this wasn't significant enough to bother ordering online and paying shipping (especially since most of the extra brim would be over her ears and her ears already seem sufficiently covered by the LTM6). Plus, REI deserves the business for letting her try on the hats in a brick and mortar store with a store associate helping her learn how to use the straps/cord on the hat.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 06:35 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I'm a natural redhead who is mildly allergic to the chemical sunscreens, especially on certain parts of my face. Last summer, I came across it (or IT or It--that's the brand name) Bye Bye Foundation Full Coverage Moisturizer with SPF 50. Since it's a moisturizer, sunscreen, and foundation all-in-one, I don't have as much trouble with pilling as I had had with my regular routine of moisturizer/sunscreen and foundation. Plus, it's a convenient single step when getting ready for my day. It came in really handy when I was on vacation and didn't want to spend tons of time getting ready to go out. A little goes a long way. The foundation is, indeed, full coverage!

HTH someone,
Donna
I've been using this for a couple of years now as a foundation. Its a keeper for me.

Tags
skin cancer, spf clothing, sun hat, sunscreen