Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-19, 12:53 PM  
Libby

Sunscreen and hats

After years of being outdoors I have had to have a basal cell carcinoma removed from my nose. Will have to see a plastic surgeon to repair the hole.

Looking for recommendations for good sunscreens for face and body and also for hats to wear out and about and also hats to wear to waterparks to protect my head/face from the sun.

Thank you in advance. I'm 60. Sunbathing when I was young has caught up with me. Younger ladies please wear sunscreen and protect your skin!
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 01:17 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My husband has had skin issues from sun exposure & flying polar routes for many years as a commercial pilot. He’s had basal cell carcinomas & ongoing issues with keratosis. He wears a wide brimmed micro fiber Tilley hat when he’s in the sun. It was pricey, but it’s light weight, provides great coverage of his face & neck, and washes up well. Here is the women’s version:
https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/catalog...t/category/31/
He has special RX creams from his dermatologist & I buy him a good facial sunscreen like Neutrogena that’s at least a 30 SPF.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 01:32 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sorry about your nose. Owwwie!

I've been wearing a wide brim hat most of the year for years. I have hats for hiking, hats for daily wear and cute hats for nice occasions.

Amazon has a decent selection of different brands just to get an idea of what's available. Sizing is iffy, so it is best to try one on. Where I live is often very windy, so I have to have hats with an adjustable neck strap.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=womens+su...ref=nb_sb_noss

As for sunscreen, I wish I could recommend the best one. I've had terrible luck with them. Either they are greasy, or ball up, or sting my eyes or break me out, LOL!

The (really expensive) EltaMd brand is popular. Here's a link to popular sunscreens on MakeUpAlley:

https://www.makeupalley.com/product/...Again=70&dsc=1

Hope this helps!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 01:50 PM  
alisoncooks

Yikes. My dad farmed for 30 years (from the 70s-90s) and never wore sunscreen. He's getting places removed several times a year now.

I resisted sunscreen for years because I'm prone to breakouts and I have sensitive skin (I can't do chemical sun blockers). I wear Australian Gold tinted every day for my face. https://www.ulta.com/botanical-spf-5...SABEgLv8vD_BwE
I like it better than the EltaMD that is much suggested. (Liked it better than any CeraVe as well, and I'm a big CeraVe fan.)

I use powder sunscreen for touch-ups/reapplication if I'm going to be in the sun for extended time (theme parks, etc). https://www.amazon.com/Brush-Block-P...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

When I wear them, I tend to stick with ball caps (thin ones designed for running/sports) or wide-brimmed hiking-style hats.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 02:28 PM  
TriciaR
VF Supporter

Libby check out Dr Dray on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnx...pQT844Yd_l7Zyg
She is a dermatologist and has many, extensive videos on sunscreens. She also wears hats and gloves/arm protectors.
My husband had skin cancer on his forehead that spread to his nerves(PNI) and had extensive surgery. He likes a sunscreen I get from amazon uk called Altruist.
It is a more advanced spf than we have in the US. It is also absorbs well without being drying or greasy. Dr Dray also recommends it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Altruist-De...s%2C320&sr=8-1
After the exchange rate it costs around $8 each.
Most US sunscreens are not as good at full protection from UVA AND B. So I try to get European or Japanese sunscreens.
Tricia
TriciaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 02:30 PM  
starbelly

I bought a Scala hat when on holiday in Canada a number of years ago and it is my go-to hiking hat. It has an adjustable cord inside and it has never once flown away, even on windy mountain tops. It comes in many colors and the link posted is an excellent price (I think that I paid CA40). The down side is that it can only be spot cleaned, but it has held up well over the years in spite of all of the sweat. There are various brim widths so you can get one to suit you.

For sunblock I use L'Occitane's BB cream with a non-chemical SPF 30. Badger makes a good mineral-based sunscreen, but it tends to leave a kabuki-theater look. Green People makes a good sunscreen that does not feel very greasy and doesn't look chalky. For my body I prefer to wear sun shirts (Pearl Izumi had really good ones, but they were not available last year). I like quarter zip shirts with a high collar to prevent sunburn on the back of the neck.

Best of luck with your surgery!
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 03:10 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
... For my body I prefer to wear sun shirts (Pearl Izumi had really good ones, but they were not available last year). I like quarter zip shirts with a high collar to prevent sunburn on the back of the neck.
I wear SPF shirts from Columbia in the warm months. They are freaking expensive , but I need all the protection I can get. The Tamiami II long-sleeved is nice for daily wear. The Bahama is good for hiking.

You can sometimes find discontinued colors cheaper on Amazon.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 04:40 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Libby--sorry you're having to deal with this! I had a basal cell removed from the back of my leg so I know it's not a lot of fun...

I love Burn Out sunscreen. I get it on Amazon. It's the only stuff I've found that my sensitive skin will tolerate. They have some different formulas; I use the white tube with blue writing on it.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 07:37 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I just came back from vacation and used a new sunscreen I hadn't seen before. I bought this at Walmart and it was very light feeling and worked great. I didn't get burned and didn't even get a tan, which was surprising. I've had issues with keratosis and a few other things that had to be removed in the past. All were benign, but I'm very careful and wear sunscreen, a hat and clothes with SPF in them when I can.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawaiian-...-8-Oz/15610900
Old 12-18-19, 09:13 PM  
LAC

I have a Wallaroo hat that is UPF 50+ that I bought nearly 15 years ago and still use. Wallaroo has their own website - wallaroohats.com, but they can also be purchased through Amazon.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skin cancer, spf clothing, sun hat, sunscreen