Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-01-19, 10:17 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA/Meta Continuity & anything else Fall/Winter 2019

We started out as a TA/Meta thread and some have moved to other types of workouts so all welcome. We post sometimes everyday sometimes less often.

So ALL WELCOME!

wednesday - my alarm did not go off and I had to be in for a meeting and get a fasting blood sample so 10 min TA lower body express.

thursday - ttapp basic + tempo + 30 min kathy smith project you cardio

today - kundalini for kidney and adrenals.

I cannot get rid of this bug so thought maybe kundalini would help my body.

buzzer - I think all the basic workouts I can't figure out why she has them all, I can see why brain body floor is different but I think I've got like 4 that are the basic??? I definitely see she has pilates training but I really think this is her own creation, like classical stretch, miranda integrated all of her training to create her approach. glad LB had fun trick or treating! we're rural so never had kids at our house but our town has community events for kids to get candy along main street or they move it to the expo when it's cold.

hi ebianco hope your knee is healing.
eventmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 12:33 PM  
Buzzer

CF 30 day sculpt w2, d4... DONE!
Ttapp brain body floor sequence 2... DONE!

I did 2 20 minute workouts because LB is a ballet, DH talked to me a bit after I dropped her off, and I don't know how long LB will be gone. Her teacher drops her off, so I don't want to be in workout clothes when she comes home!

This was a good CF. the first 10 minutes was stretching. The second 10 was cardio with weights. it was good! I was sweating and my muscles were getting tired. since I haven't used weights in a long time (months!) I decided to grab my 2's. that was probably good for the work. That way I am not too sore for tomorrow. Bummer that I used to think 5's were light, now I am at 2's and good. Although I am also focusing more on form, so I have that going for me.

Lots of those runner thingies, where you are in plank and alternate pulling your knees in (I don't remember what they are called!!)

the ttapp was a good combo with it, not because it was cardio too, but because it was a lot of stretching. I like this one. 20 minutes of stretch and some strength.

Today we are going to my friends "adoption party" since their adoption was finalized!!

Quick check in. I have to shower and get ready to go... and wait for LB to come home!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-19, 11:39 AM  
Buzzer

P90X Yoga.. DONE!

The whole thing, except the corpse pose and meditation! I love this yoga. It's hard, and when I do it I think "I need to do this more often". I don't think it ever gets easy though, no matter how many times you do it!!

I struggled and tried to twist... I also tried to keep my abs braced, flex my leg muscles when they were bent or straight, and do isometrics whenever I could. Not just flexing, but moving my knee out on the warrior poses, keeping my abs in on triangle.. .stuff like that. Just working on form, of course.

There were several places I was shaking, and I definitely felt it in my legs!! I skipped all of the pushups after up dog.

I took yesterday off because I woke up late, we went to church, then DH told me I could go to the bookstore by myself so I DID!!

I was going to workout after church but nope. Not delaying time to myself!

Today we have some busyness going on... we are doing school, then LB has a birthday party to go to for her BFF at urban air. She woke up this morning and barfed!! Ugh. She said she feels better now after barfing, so I have to wonder if it's because I got home at 8:30pm and she wanted something to eat (DH did too). So they both ate late. I wonder if it's because she ate then went to bed. I'm gonna watch her through the day before I tell her BFF's mom we won't be there.

I do love P90X Yoga. I, of course, decided I should try to do it once a week because it's so good. I won't do it, of course again!!, but it sounds good.

I remember a looooong time ago, my workout partner and I would do backbends for 60 seconds, then 30 second rest, then another 60 seconds. I couldn't even do 10-15 seconds this time. I need to work on that!!

tomorrow is another rest day since it's CC day.

Eventmom: I have the basics, but honestly have not done them (except the tempo basic +). I jumped right into the other workouts. I probably need to do a basic!! Well, maybe not. I like the other workouts.

Waves Ebianco!! Hope you are doing well!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-05-19, 07:00 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

saturday - ttapp basic + and charlene prickett
sunday - 20 min yoga, horse trial (my mare dumped at a creek crossing not even a damn jump, blech)
monday - yoga in the garden of serenity
today - ttapp basci + and charlene prickett

I'm really missing TA!!!

buzzer - that's funny that you don't do the basics!! I need to see if she has other standing sequences that change up from basic.

hi ebianco!
Old 11-06-19, 08:45 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Good morning,

Sorry I've totally ghosted! I am still not working out so there's not much on that front But, I have been resting and my knee has been feeling better (almost 100% but not quite), and I stopped my 2x day prescription anti-inflammatory a couple of days ago and still feel really good, and start my PT this afternoon. I'm really hoping to get a better idea of my path back to exercise if I can. This PT clinic was referred to me by two totally different people in my life! So I'm hoping it will be really great. And tomorrow I get my physical which means getting my cholesterol checked, so cross your fingers for me LOL It's been about a year and a half so I don't know what to expect. I'll check back to let you guys know how PT went!

Eventmom Thanks for starting a new thread and I hope you feel better! I came across Charlene Prickett's name the other day and took a moment to be astonished I don't have even one of her workouts. It didn't seem like they were ever on total fitness or collage video for me to even peruse/consider, at least not to my recollection. I should still look her up though, just to see what I'm missing

Buzzer Wow isn't P90X Yoga like 90 minutes long? That would be tough to try to complete every week, but I'm glad it's a great workout! I cycled through the P90X workouts very early in my workout life (closer to 15 years ago) and didn't click with it so traded the set while it was still in high demand. I think I traded it for Chalene Extreme which I liked better but just got puffy and bulky and not lean, LOL. After that I went off Beachbody for a long time. Anyway great job on yoga and also those Core Fusions and TTap just sound amazing.
Old 11-06-19, 09:38 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - callanetics express total body + 16 min karen voight cardio

ebianco - charlene did a tv show on canadian television and those episodes got packaged onto vhs/dvds. She's fully retired and her website just gone. The nice thing for me was getting a DVD with like 10 low impact workouts on it. here's a youtube link, someone posted a bunch of her episodes - some are low impact, some are step, some are weight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isd2mRML6G4

but I like her low impact. Glad you are feeling better and I hope the PT is great. I've had Physical therapists I like, could hardly stand or thought were great. Hope yours in the third.

hi Buzzer!
Old 11-06-19, 09:00 PM  
Buzzer

Core fusion w2, d5.. DONE!
A Mari Winsor Pilates, advanced 15 minute workout ( I don't remember the exact name)... DONE!
10 minutes of Walk away the inches Ttapp... DONE!

Once I added on the WATI workout, I felt like I was just stringing together a few minutes of workouts together, and I just felt done. I can't do 3 different workouts!

The CF was good. the first one was a stretch, and the second 10 minute one was more of a total body workout with weights and cardio. It was really good. Lunges and holding chair pose, pulses and some weight work. I used 2's. The tricep part wasn't too bad (on one leg leaning forward in like a warrior 3, then do 8 kickbacks, 8 straight arm ups, 8 little bend and extends), the back work was tough (16 reps on one leg again, then 4 second hold. once with a straight leg, once with a leg turned out, so I was on one leg for a long time!). I added on the pilates workout, and she went through the exercises like her example girls were on fire. So fast! They are super strong, and I cheated a lot, but it was fun. I don't think I will do it again until I get better at pilates though. 15 minutes was short too.

So, I added on WATI and now I just felt like I was working out forever. I can't do 3 different workouts. my heart was no longer into it, and I just went through the motions. Its was OK.

We also took about a mile and 1/2 walk with some friends, then LB played on the playground. We were in the hills, and it was about 50 degrees and sunny. We had another playdate in town at 2. As we were headed into town, the sky was getting darker and darker.. I had to take off my sunglasses... and I watched the temp go down from 47 to 36 in the span of just a few miles. By the time we got to where we were meeting our friends, it was so cold I was shivering. we were SO underdressed! It was supposed to be nice today!! We spent maybe 10 minutes there, then everyone was so cold we left and went to an indoor play place at the mall to let the kids play.

This was our friends we used to hang out with but now that they are in school we don't see them. She had called them off sick, and they were feeling better, so we met them to play. It was fun and so nice to see them again!! We thought about it, and haven't seen each other since July. We used to see each other 2 times a week

Anyhow, I hit 10,000 steps, worked out, and ate crappy since we were on the run today. Lots of friends, lots of playing, and lots of fun. believe it or not, we also fit in about 2 hours of school before all the playing!!!

Ebianco: Good luck on your knee!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for your Dr visit tomorrow. The P90X yoga IS 90 minutes! I skip the crane (who can do that one?? I swear I almost break my wrists on it) and the final corpse pose and meditation. I think this is one of my favorite yogas though. I did P90X once and liked it OK, but the pull ups were discouraging. I always felt like by the time I found a substitute that could kinda work, it was over, and I never got what I needed out of it. It is a fun program though. I had Chalene extreme, but it did hurt my shoulders, and her working out in boots drove me batty. I usually don't mind instructors clothing, but I could not handle some of hers. Plus she is annoying to me. I ended up not finishing the rotation and giving it away!!

Eventmom: I"m gonna have to look at that link. I've seen you talk about her, and now I'm curious...
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-07-19, 10:27 AM  
Buzzer

CF Day 6 Week 2... DONE!
Ttapp tempo legs.. DONE!

This CF was pretty much all cardio and weights. Lots of burpees, which I didn't expect from CF, although they were slow. Lots of those mountain climbers (yay! I remember what they are called!). Lots of squats (they make it sound all soothing by saying chair pose, but we all know it's a static squat) and a few lunges. The thing I had trouble with is staying in chair pose with weights in my hands, arms straight out behind you holding them there, and pulsing forever. All the forward flexion with legs bend really started to bug my lower back. I had to keep my weights on my back, then eventually when my back really bugged me I brought my upper body into more of a squat position instead of a forward flex., and did a squat instead with my arms behind me as far as I could.

I remember from my former life that forward flexion for a long time isn't good, especially when you are holding weights, and I guess I proved that still holds true!!

Good cardio though, and good leg work. I always try to formulate during my CF which Ttapp I will do. This CF was lots of legs, so I went with ttapp tempo legs. Because I love the tempos.

This has the final leg series that I talked about before... lying side, 24 bent knee leg raises, 8 strait leg to bent knee and raise, then straight leg raises.... then lay on your tummy and lift your leg up 16 times. it is very Firm like. I can see Susan Harris leading this part of the workout, although Susan would have used 8 pound weights on her leg the whole time, plus the ankle and toe weights.

both workouts together were excellent!! My hips will probably feel it again for a few days. I am enjoying this rotation I am doing. I like the CF 20 minute workouts, because sometimes 1 hour of CF is too much for me. The 20 minutes is perfect. Plus, if one of the segments is hard, I know it's only 10 minutes, not 1 hour. I love ttapp with it, because sometimes I have trouble with my form in CF, and ttapp I find it again.

Today I think I found some ab muscles I have lost since having LB! I had this sensation I recall having when I was in my house before I was married, doing the firm in my living room. I suddenly had the feeling in my abs of this new contraction down deep, and my mind flashed back to that point. I don't think I have felt that since then!!

So here's what I am wondering. I did nothing but Firm, lifting weights, and running for years. I got married, discovered VF a little deeper, and started buying all sorts of other workouts. I gained weight. Now here's what I'm wondering... did I gain weight because I got married? (which is common). Did I gain because I hit the age at the same time where my hormones were shifting so I gained? Did I gain because my schedule changed and I wasn't teaching as many classes (even though they were seniors classes and just kinda Leslie type workouts)? (This one may also be offset by the fact I was doing more massages, which are very active instead. So I think this one may be a "no") did I gain because I started dabbing in too many forms of exercise, instead of sticking the my few firms, lifting weights on my own (so low stress, no timer, I could rest when I wanted and go as fast as I wanted or slow) and running? Did I gain because I got pregnant and that messed with my body? all sorts of questions I'm asking myself. I may never know the real answer though. I wonder though if I just went back to a Firm rotation with the 12 firms I had originally (all the classics and parts) if I would be doing better.

I guess I am always trying to figure it out, but there really is no answer. Only God and my Body know!! HA!

So we ended up with freezing rain last night. Ice all the way to my workout room. guess that was an isometric workout too!!

Waves you guys, have a great Thursday!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-08-19, 10:53 AM  
Buzzer

CF Week 2 day 7... DONE!
Pilates for Men, disc 1... DONE!

CF was excellent! She goes right into mountain climbers though, which was a bit of a shock. No warm up at all. My body wasn't too happy about that one!!

Lots of cardio and weights, lots of static lunges, lots of mountain climbers. I was glad it was only 10 minutes. The second 10 minutes was all abs. ALL. ABS. All c-curve, which Fred and Liz are good at, but man!! I held on the back of my legs a lot. They have a lady that is showing the "modification" and all she does is stay in c curve and hold it there, with her feet on the floor. No moving. The other 3 were all doing the advanced version. no one showing how to bridge from doing nothing to going all out. That bugged me. But, I did my own modifications, and put the ball behind my back. I tried not to rest on it, but putting my low back on the floor like they say and lifting my shoulders is impossible for me without the ball. I don't know how they do that!! Those people are super strong.

Pilates for men was about 25 minutes long, and was a basic, true pilates. They played a metal sounding song in the background with no vocals, and announced each position before they did it. They used no equipment. 100's, rolling like a ball, single leg stretch... all the pilates moves you learn when you are learning the true to Josef Pilates stuff. It was great though! At the end was a lot of planks and pushups, which was nice. I felt like I got a real good core and upper body workout.

I thought about what ttapp I wanted to do today, but nothing sounded good. I kept meaning to do my PFM, but just haven't. so today was my day!!

So we are getting a new puppy!! Another long haired Akita. Ours is 4 on Thanksgiving, so it's time. He is the absolute perfect dog! He listens, knows all our commands (no matter how stupid... for example, I say "watch your tail feathers!" when he gets in the car, and he knows to tuck in his tail so it doesn't get caught in the tailgate), and is so protective and patient with LB that I just absolutely LOVE him.

I am nervous for the puppy because I don't want our guy to change, however I want him to train the new puppy with us. Our dog is also super laid back and lazy, and the puppy will get him up and moving!! I am also nervous because of claws and teeth of a puppy. And 24/7 training. I hope they both get along too!! And that our current dog doesn't change when the new puppy comes!! I am looking forward to the puppy, but also not. It'll all work out.

Unfortunately he was supposed to be here tomorrow, Saturday, but the guy isn't getting him to us until Monday night. Stinks, because we will get him late, by the time we get home it'll be after 9:30pm, and it'll be bedtime. The puppy will have no time at all to acclimate to the new home. We won't get any time to hang out with him and play and help him relax. THEN, LB and I are gone all day Tuesday at CC. Luckily we will have the rest of the week with him, but I'm not happy on how it's all starting! Monday night is going to SUCK. I hope we get some sleep!!

I am so disappointed he won't be here tomorrow. That would have worked out so much better, we would have had 3 days with him completely at home to relax and get to know him. oh well. I guess it doesn't matter in the long run.

Waves you guys!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-08-19, 11:21 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday everyone,

Okay, so I saw the PT and I really like this place, the therapist spent a lot of time working with me one on one and the facility is much smaller than the other one that had a wait until December, they only deal with maybe 4-5 patients at a time whereas that one probably had 15 at a time. This one is clearly going to be worth the investment. The PT told me that she can see my muscles are pretty developed already (and my flexibility is so good that she's not even going to bother focusing on that LOL ) however, my outer thigh/glutes are much more developed than my quads/inner thighs, which is causing a muscle imbalance, and my joints are "loose" which is a common problem with women and can't be changed but isn't helping the situation, and that my knee cap is tracking outwards, and if I can develop my quads/inner thighs, then that should be able to help alleviate my symptoms...in 6-8 weeks.

One of the exercises she had me do and asked me to do at home is the second one on this link (https://blog.fitbit.com/osteoarthritis/) where you have a towel under your knee and your knee is slightly bent, and you straighten it. It is like a cheese grater in my knee joint, and feels both nauseating (with the crunching/friction) and unpleasant. She would press my knee cap towards the inside of my leg to help, and said I could do that at home, but I felt like it was worsening my knee pain so I just stopped doing it. She also wanted me to do bridge with a playground ball squeezed between my knees, and basically an inner thigh leg lift with ankle weights, which I am doing no problem. I'm also considering just a quad/inner thigh boot camp with Barlates, I can do some of her 15-20 minute workouts that just work one muscle group that I usually avoid, but would be great for this situation. It's really more my quads even than my inner thighs that need the strengthening. My "inner quads" she said.

Then yesterday I went to my regular doctor for my physical. We spent most of the time discussing my knee She was somewhat skeptical that the PT would be that effective and told me I should ask the orthopedic if I can get a steroid injection, if the PT is fruitless. I'm going to do more research, but I really don't want to get the injection. Both because I'm a big baby and also because I've heard the injections are just a bandaid. But, I've been doing more research and it sounds like the first injection is usually the most powerful, and injections are generally more effective when you're younger (below 40) and she said it may help my inflammation go down and by the time the injection wears off, I would be past my current flare up, and thus the problem would be resolved. So a lot to think about.

I also got my bloodwork done. The good news is I finally resolved my PCOS, a hormone imbalance from my early 20s. That is fantastic news! The bad news is that my cholesterol is WAY bad, my LDL is 183 and my HDL is down to 60 which is a general decline from the high 80s from 2015. It gets lower every year! I'm not surprised it's low right now from lack of activity, but it makes my good/bad ratio much worse. My LDL now is even worse than in 2017 when it was extremely bad (179) and I managed to get it back down to 120s with diet. I did a lot of reflection and my half and half with my tea every day, and duck eggs which I've been eating with abandon (and have WAY more cholesterol and saturated fat than chicken eggs...whoops) are not helping. So I agreed to get it rechecked in three months. She's pushing the statins again, and I adamantly do NOT want to go that route, I am willing to modify my diet, again. Diet helped the last time, but then I found new outlets for consuming the saturated fat ugh.

My staycation blew by, I actually don't go back until next Wednesday and I got a lot done, but also disappointed I didn't do more? My knee was feeling MUCH better until a couple of days ago when I was cleaning and brought a big bag of trash down the stairs, and then with that PT exercise it's been mad again. I just started using this anti-inflammatory lotion that got big raves on amazon, to see if that helps, but have been trying to taper off of the anti-inflammatory medicine so I guess I'm feeling a little frustrated.

Eventmom Thank you for the link, I'll check it out!

Buzzer Speaking for myself, getting married packed on about 15 pounds over the years for me, of which I've been able to get 5 off, but can never seem to get that last 10 off. I've also wondered whether the huge variety of workouts and dabbling with many forms of exercise (and thus lack of focus) has hindered my weight loss efforts too, although I also have to acknowledge that different things worked for me in my 20s vs my 30s. But I often think if I had less choices and had to stick to something more focused, would I also be more motivated and not suffer from analysis paralysis or always wondering if I'm doing the 'right thing'.

LOL Chalene definitely wore kooky clothes in the CLX workouts!