Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-17-20, 08:17 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC on turtles and bats today. Then hoping to come home before the snow storm really starts (supposedly around noon). This one's a whopper, so maybe no walk with Gus as I don't want to drive in it. I may end up snowplowing tonight half way through the storm and again tomorrow morning 0 about 10" is predicted. I call that my workout today.

Dede, I've never been a early morning exerciser - about 9 am would be the earliest I could function. Most commonly I'd exercise at lunch time at my work's gym. All my circus stuff was in the evenings. I'm still into decluttering - frankly thinking about selling my kettlebells as they aren't helping my hip with the grinding arthritis in it. I've still got several KB videos that would likely also get donated away.

Laura, some good sleep, then up at 3 am, then back to sleep and trying to sleep in this morning, which doesn't work on a WRC morning. You've had some freaky warm days before these fronts come through!

Paula, I'm off my OTC sleep aids also, so kind of expect the waves of sleep at night instead of one solid chunk of sleep with the pills. Gus sometimes gets me up in the middle of the night for going outside, but not last night. I'm amazed how well this dog communicates with me.

Bee, glad you came out and joined us! I'm the same age as you - retired since 55. You have a long history of working out - I need to get back into it since retirement (used to do the gym at work and then about two years at at kettlebell studio afterwards, but had to quit due to joint issues about a year ago). I do take my dog for about an hour walk in winter every day in the parks. I'm also doing a chair yoga class at our library every week.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 08:47 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a nice day. DH's birthday was on December 28, the worst day of his cold before he gave it to me. We are both finally feeling better and he was ready for our celebration. We went out to his favorite restaurant with Mom and Dad. Then, we stopped by the bakery and picked up some good desserts, including gluten-free ones for DH. Then, we stopped and picked up the Downton Abbey movie and went to Mom and Dad's to watch it. I really enjoyed it. It was one of those "coming home" kind of feelings.

Anita - DH and I went on a walk yesterday and saw flowers blooming. Freaky warm weather is right. Today felt more normal. It was a beautiful sunny day in the 40s. That's about right for here. I hope this latest storm is a short-lived one.

Bee - It sounds like you are a normal VFer, doing a set and then working in other things to make it more balanced. Thanks for coming back and introducing yourself more fully.

Paula - Yeah, it can be hard to sleep when your partner is restless or loud (snoring). I hope you can get some better sleep.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 09:34 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith Chair Cardio and Strength. Had an appointment with the dermatologist this morning - I go every six month and he freezes off all my new pre-cancer spots. He found two on my upper lip, so now I have two weeping blisters on my face. It will take a few days before my lip stops looking odd. I hate when he finds spots on my face.

Right after the derm I had to hurry over to PT Sowhere they made my excercises harder. So I left there feeling gimpy. Gotta do the PT rountine again before bed. I think we can all agee getting old isn't for sissy's.

Bee, thanks for coming out and joining us. I am 68 and have been a regular exerciser for decades - since VHS. I like to do a variety of things but recently I injured my hip somehow and I'm now in PT for it. I'm sticking to chair workouts with the idea I'm less likely to reinjure the hip if I'm sitting. I've eyed the 30 day challenge by Pahla B. and may give it a go when I'm released from PT. I'm really missing yoga and will definately start the 30 days of Yoga with Adriene when PT is over.

Anita, hope the snow storm isn't too heavy and you can manage to get a walk in with Gus. I hope your get back with sleeping without sleep aids.

Laura, sounds like you and DH had a peasant birthday celebration.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 09:27 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It looks like we got a bit less than the 10" predicted yesterday (6"?), but unsure if there's more waves coming - supposedly this will end later today. Today will be shoveling and snowblowing day. It did start two hours later than predicted so I was able to squeeze a dog walk with Gus in there yesterday. I didn't shovel last night as the snow looked a bit less than predicted - won't choke my snowblower. I'm kind of glad I don't have to work today at circus.

Laura, happy birthday to DH - glad he was finally able to celebrate the day! Glad you enjoyed the Downton Abbey movie - it does fit the stories well, just showing more decoration when royalty comes to visit. I do hope they do another one. Hope the blooms currently opening in your area don't end up freezing off - I assume the bees are still asleep also.

Paula, I should probably go to a skin doctor and have them look at a few areas on my body - weird skin growths developing. My regular doctor just dismissed them. I'm feeling the lidocaine wearing off in the joints that got their shots, but my hip caught some of my cartilage yesterday also so it was cane time last night - not fun. Yesterday was a nap in the afternoon also, but sleep wan't too bad last night.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 09:38 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Paula, I can top that. I've been a regular exerciser for decades - since records! That thread on GD about how bored the OP is now with so many more workouts than she used to have resonated with me. I would do one Joanie Greggains record seven days a week for a year until she came out with a new one. I can't even imagine doing that now. I would literally die from boredom.

I also get tired of the precancers on my face, especially my lip. But I have lots of other spots I'd like to be rid of as well. I know they aren't cancers, so I'd have to pay for it. The derm I'm using is too expensive. I keep saying I'm going to go back to one I used before. But I'd need to check and make sure his prices haven't gone up. I have a lot of keratoses I want to have removed.

Laura, I haven't seen anything blooming, but I've been worried about that. It has happened before. We are colder now as well. DH doesn't like it, but then he is so sensitive to the cold because his pulse is so low. One of his meds keeps his pulse in the 40s. The doctors don't seem to worry about it. I do.

Anita, I miss doing kettlebells, but for me, it's the shoulder. I do some swings (2-handed, afraid to try one-arm) and squats with the bell racked on the left side, but that's it. I keep looking at my kettlebell workout notes to see if I could do any of them, but I'd have to modify so much I'm not sure it's worth it.

Bee, you say Pahla's weight work is unbalanced, but many think Cathe's is as well. I don't know. I'm not clever enough to figure that out. I do think Cathe can be overkill on the weight work. Do you really need to spend one hour working two body parts? I did it for years, and I wonder if that's why my body is breaking down now. But I hate paper workouts. I've been doing my own customized upper body routine three days a week for almost a year and I'm bored with it. I don't know what to do.

Everyone have a good weekend. I think we're supposed to have rain today.
Old 01-18-20, 11:37 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday!

Paula, good luck with your ongoing PT. I had to do PT for 12 weeks at the beginning of 2019. He just kept uncovering different weaknesses, but ultimately we worked a lot on core strength. Then for a while I kept doing his exercises and slowly adding in more. Every once in a while I do some of what he gave me, but wow I got bored of it.

Anita, I would definitely encourage you to go see a dermatologist. When I was about 42 my primary flagged a couple of places and even though I had a toddler and newborn, I somehow took myself in to a dermatologist and thank goodness I did because the second one she took for analysis (which bothered the dermatologist less than the first) was a melanoma! Yikes -- I shudder to think what would have happened if I hadn't made that appointment.

Oh, ddj, I completely agree about Cathe's stuff being overload! I wonder if you could find a happy balance by picking and choosing portions of Cathe's workouts. Make sure you hit the big muscle groups and worry less about the biceps and triceps. That's what I do sometimes.

Oh, and I used to do some Joannie Greggains, too! Just what was on TV. So funny.

I am through Day 7 of Pahla's weight loss challenge. Today was weights and yesterday was standing abs. I had randomly done yesterday's workout when it first came out -- it is a good 20 minute standing ab routine if anyone is looking for something like that.

All of your cold weather talk...... yikes. I am a wimpy Northern Californian. Both of my boys are still at home -- the older one attending a community college and the younger one is a senior in high school. They are likely to both be going off to the midwest next fall for college. Not only will we be faced with a suddenly very empty nest, but they may both have to really brace themselves for weather they have never known.

Have a great weekend!
Old 01-18-20, 06:38 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a quiet and nice day. We slept in some. This morning, I did some work on my website stuff, figuring out what I have and need to do and starting writing a blog post on printing options for Excel files. This afternoon, I went to the library and church with the folks. It's getting ready to rain here.

Bee - hehe. Your sons are in for a shock when it comes to winter temps next year. But, it's okay. It will build character. (Not that I'm saying they need it! )

Dede - I'm surprised things didn't bloom there. You may have been not quite as warm as we have. Given the health care you've described in your area, I can understand your concerns about your DH's health.

Anita - I hope that today wasn't too bad with the snow clearing stuff that needed to happen. I could see what you meant about threads they left hanging that will could lead to another Downton movie.

Paula - I'm sorry about the sites they had to take off your face. I can understand feeling self-conscious about it all. I hope they heal quickly.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-18-20, 06:47 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I googled "quotes Maxine winter" and came up with the following quotes that are possible for tomorrow's thread. They all fit.

Crone Cronies - You Know What the Nice Thing About Winter Is? Neither Do I. Jan 19

Crone Cronies-In Winter Things Go From Magical to Miserable. Call It January. Jan 19

Crone Cronies - I'd Make a Good Snowman. I Naturally Give the Cold Shoulder. Jan 19

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-18-20, 10:24 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Only workout this morning wa the PT routine which I need to do again before bed.

Anita, glad it didn't snow as hard as you were thinking. Hope you were able to walk with Gus some today. Definately see a dermatologist don't wait!

Dede, you do have me topped - I don't recall exercising from records. You too - go see a dematologist.

Bee, Another Californian! I'm in So. Cal. If you have been reading us long, you know that Beth and her husband are newly empty nesters. Their son started college last fall. I don't have any children but think it's a bitter sweet time of life. I dearly hope I'm not in PT for 12 weeks! I'm ready to be done now even though I know it is good for me.

Laura, sounds like a nice relaed day. Yeah for sleeping in - wish I could do that. I'm used to having these sites on my face - last time he took two off the other side of my face. So far they have all healed clean and clear.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote