Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-17-20, 01:16 PM  
furmomof6

Hello,

Shaped by Faith: Stability Ball Pilates

This was on DVD, and my first time trying it. I really liked this one, although some moves were advanced. I hope to walk later too, but it's super cold today and very windy!

Donna, I don't feel my best with traditional workouts either, although I've been able to tolerate them lately other than the upper body one. I've been adding them in only because I love Theresa's encouragement so much, and a lot of her streaming workouts are traditional. I do hope she does more Pilates next season because I'd like more variety.

Carol, that's funny about your dog and the band. It's one of my cats I have to watch out for! He loves to play with anything stretchy like that, lol.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 02:23 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

Christine - yes, I don't know what it is - I get really achey from them and it isn't really even a "good" kind of sore! Weird!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 09:26 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Friday's workouts were

Dog Walk - 25 minutes;
Get Healthy U TV - Fat Burning Circuits #1 - 30 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Restorative Pilates - 15 minutes

I almost didn't do the Fat Burning Circuits workout because I thought it was going to be awful. It wasn't. This was mainly light weight work with a little bit of low impact cardio thrown in at the end of each circuit. I was envisioning burpees and mountain climbers, but there were none of those, thank goodness. This was a filmed live workout, and the film quality was not very good.

Smriti's Restorative Pilates was pretty restorative, except for one set of full rollups thrown in. Those are just hard for me.

Christine - my dog will grab anything she can from my pilates basket when she gets the chance. Gloves, bands, straps, small hand weights have all been swiped at one time or another. She's not a big dog - just a little bigger than a Yorkie - so it's funny to see her carrying a dumbbell in her mouth.

Donna - I think we all suffer from "Is it enough?" syndrome as we age. I know I do. It's the only reason I make myself do anything besides walking, barre and pilates these days. I would love to see an objective study on whether using light weights is enough for women as we age.

Still no washing machine. I held off on calling the guy this week until yesterday, but he didn't take or return my call...

Waves to all, and to those who get a 3 day weekend - enjoy!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 09:54 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Jessica Smith - 4 Mile Power Walk - Miles 3 & 4 - this is really an enjoyable workout. I like breaking it into parts though b/c it is hard to find the time to do a full hour at once - and, I also have exercise ADD and if I am going to workout for an hour, i prefer to mix it up.

Essentrics Challenge Day #6 - Full Body Stretching - I *think* this may be Episode # 1 from Season 13. Not sure - the set up was like the TV series though.

Carol - it is always a nice surprise when you do a workout that you thought you would dread and it wasn't dreadful. Yes, I agree - it is so confusing to know what you should be doing as you age. My parents are in terrible shape for their ages and I don't want to end up like them. However, I'm already doing things that will prevent that - I don't smoke, don't drink to excess, and I exercise - it may not be power lifting or running marathons but it is more than they did. I think workouts like Essentrics/Ellen/Pilates/Yoga, etc. are valuable - you need to manage your body in space, have joint mobility and the ability to lift yourself up. I just wonder if that is enough b/c they keep telling us about resistance training which to many of us means lifting weights - but how much do you really need to do - If I'm doing functional body weight moves does the added weight add that much more value? And, I do think we need to do some cardio for our circulation and heart health - but really - how much is needed? I guess the answer to all of these questions is probably individual.....

And, Ugh, on the washing machine - that is just crazy at this point.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday!

Donna
Old 01-18-20, 09:59 AM  
donnamp

Adding on to my rambling thoughts - I also suppose that stuff like joint mobility and joint health is important - if a particular form of exercise does not work for our bodies and we end up damaging joints we probably end up worse off than if we didn't do it in the first place....

My personal example seems to be weighted squats - they really compress my lower back which I assume is not great for my joints/discs, etc. So maybe the answer there is to do those moves without weights. A squat motion is important as it gets us up and out of chairs - something older people have trouble doing - so it may not be the movement itself that needs to be cut out but maybe the way I'm doing it needs to change?

Donna
Old 01-18-20, 11:03 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Adding on to my rambling thoughts - I also suppose that stuff like joint mobility and joint health is important - if a particular form of exercise does not work for our bodies and we end up damaging joints we probably end up worse off than if we didn't do it in the first place....

My personal example seems to be weighted squats - they really compress my lower back which I assume is not great for my joints/discs, etc. So maybe the answer there is to do those moves without weights. A squat motion is important as it gets us up and out of chairs - something older people have trouble doing - so it may not be the movement itself that needs to be cut out but maybe the way I'm doing it needs to change?

Donna
Are you holding your weights by your side or on your shoulders? Or does it matter?

As for squats, why wouldn't body weight be enough?

Carol
Old 01-18-20, 11:08 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Jessica Smith - 4 Mile Power Walk - Miles 3 & 4 - this is really an enjoyable workout. I like breaking it into parts though b/c it is hard to find the time to do a full hour at once - and, I also have exercise ADD and if I am going to workout for an hour, i prefer to mix it up.

Essentrics Challenge Day #6 - Full Body Stretching - I *think* this may be Episode # 1 from Season 13. Not sure - the set up was like the TV series though.

Carol - it is always a nice surprise when you do a workout that you thought you would dread and it wasn't dreadful. Yes, I agree - it is so confusing to know what you should be doing as you age. My parents are in terrible shape for their ages and I don't want to end up like them. However, I'm already doing things that will prevent that - I don't smoke, don't drink to excess, and I exercise - it may not be power lifting or running marathons but it is more than they did. I think workouts like Essentrics/Ellen/Pilates/Yoga, etc. are valuable - you need to manage your body in space, have joint mobility and the ability to lift yourself up. I just wonder if that is enough b/c they keep telling us about resistance training which to many of us means lifting weights - but how much do you really need to do - If I'm doing functional body weight moves does the added weight add that much more value? And, I do think we need to do some cardio for our circulation and heart health - but really - how much is needed? I guess the answer to all of these questions is probably individual.....

And, Ugh, on the washing machine - that is just crazy at this point.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday!

Donna
My parents were also in terrible shape - my dad had a massive stroke at 64 and survived, but just barely, another 10 years or so. My mom literally dropped dead of a heart attack at age 73. Neither of them ever exercised or took care of themselves. At least I've been an exerciser since my 20's, but has it been enough? Who knows?

Carol
Old 01-18-20, 11:17 AM  
furmomof6

Hello,

Shaped by Faith: Standing Pilates

Donna, I definitely think we're all ahead of the game just by doing some form of exercise, versus those who do nothing. I think there's a lot of value in functional exercise too. I've heard many stories of avid runners with ruined knees, and heavy lifters with a torn this or that, so who knows. I know with me, like you, traditional weight lifting typically causes more harm than good. I end up with lower back pain, and achy knees. Although most of Theresa's traditional work is slower paced and easy to modify so I'm finding it a bit more doable. I think if we want to be in it for the long term, we have to find what works for our bodies favorably, and pray for the best! As for squats though, can you just practice getting in and out of a chair for so many reps a few times per week? Would that hurt your back?

Carol, oh wow, can you call a different repair person at this point? I can't believe he didn't take or return your calls. That's too funny about your dog! The smaller dogs have the biggest moxie! Glad you enjoyed your workouts!

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 11:30 AM  
fanofladyvols

Let's see looks like my post to this thread lately didn't make it and I don't remember what my personals were.
Briefly, the last few workouts were the Yoga stretch for beginners and beyond AM flow, outdoor walk, Jennifer Galardi's Flowetry.

Donna from what I understand hover squats are even more valuable for keeping everything strong to lift yourself upright. So although I know there's quite the debate regarding how long we 'need' to do strength training with heavier free weights...I believe that the key must ultimately lie in continuing bodyweight functional exercise.

Carol this Jessica Smith stretch DVD is my favorite of her stretch DVDs that I have tried. I just don't always have 30 min to devote to stretch but I scrapped my planned workouts and listened to my body and mind. I could never find a way to plug in the Smith stretch and the Flowetry DVD. Been perfect.
I am terribly sorry your washer still isn't fixed...are you having to go to a laundromat? I have been there and done that. With family loads that's no fun!! My dishwasher has been reduced to a very spotty dishrinser. But no dishwasher is easier to adjust to than no laundry machine. Hang in there and hope it gets fixed soon.

Christine I am glad that you are able to do fast paced workouts. Rest assured if Linda is using a fast paced...then she takes breaks

Dana hope you are back to full speed. My latest tea time has included a green tea with white tea blend. Very calming and first tea I have ever tasted that need no sugar.

Cheri thinking of you and your family.

Brenda, and Cheryl hope you're having a great weekend.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 12:02 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Another great nights sleep after a full mug of chamomile tea last night. I used to drink lemon balm tea which would put me to sleep but didn't keep me asleep for longer than 3-4 hrs. This chamomile tea however, eases me into a slumber and keeps me there for full 7 hours. Can't argue with that!

This morning I did:
GHUTV Walk and Tone to the Max - 40m.
ePilates 21DC Day 2 - Full Body Pilates - 14m.

I liked the W&T to the Max a lot. It's a full body workout with only 2 short segments that were on the floor. One was chest flys, and I like those, and the other was planks. I like planks but I skipped those here since I do those with ePilates. I just kept walking.

ePilates Full Body was not really FULL body and I didn't expect it to be in 14min, but it touched on essential areas and made my back feel good.

My mom died of a heart disease at the age of 60. She suffered from rheumatic fever as a child and that damaged her heart valves and ultimately caused her death. She grew up in Europe during WWII during rough times and couldn't get medical care when she needed it. My father died in his early 60s. I'm not sure what he died of because my parents divorced when I was 2 years old and I didn't have much contact with him. All I know is that generation didn't really exercise and did the best they could in the circumstances they grew up in. Nowadays, we know better so generally there is no excuse not to take care of oneself. Whenever I feel lazy, I keep reminding myself that.

We got some snow last night, now we're getting freezing rain and temps will be dropping to single digits. Finally, it looks like January in Chicago!

Waves to all!