Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-10, 11:18 AM  
videofit

Will exercise improve dowager's hump?

I hadn't seen my elderly aunt for two years and was shocked at her appearance. She was so much shorter because her spine curved over so much, causing her head to jut forward -- dowager's hump. Her shoulders also curve forward. This posture can't be good for her internal organs. She has osteoporosis and can't take any of those prescription meds. I've told her to increase her calcium and Vitamin D.

I was wondering if using weights would help uncurve her back if she only strengthened her back muscles. Also lying on her stomach and doing swimming movements and the swan for the back.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-07-10, 11:23 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think this is a situation where you should consult a medical professional such as a physical therapist. You don't want to cause more bone damage.
I'm sure there are some exercises that she could do, but it should be done under proper medical supervision.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 11:26 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Those humps are caused by small fractures in the spine that occur because of problems with bone density.

Exercise will not help that!
Old 06-07-10, 11:54 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I come from a long line of Dowagers with humps.
These ladies are very fragile in all sorts of ways.

I would be very hesitant to encourage any not-their-norm physical movement without someone qualified sitting right there with them.

I have had aunts break bones turning over in bed and getting caught in the covers. The hump is just an outward physical manifestation of what is occurring in their entire skeletal system.

Just one of many reasons I started to exercise a while back. Women in my family live to be a hundred and beyond, even with the humps, and that's a long time to be unable to look up.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 12:28 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Those humps are caused by small fractures in the spine that occur because of problems with bone density.

Exercise will not help that!
Well, exercise can do a great deal to help the bone density situation, but it's true that once that curve has set in fracturing has probably already occurred. The vertebral fractures (collapse) occur on the inside, hence the curve.

There is still much one can do. I would suggest consulting Dr. Loren Fishman and Ellen Saltonstall's Yoga and Osteoporosis, which goes into this situation in detail.

One particular exercise/spine to avoid with lessening bone density of the spine: forward bends, except for reclinging leg stretches.

I agree that professional consultation in this situation is a must.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 12:28 PM  
videofit

She mentioned something about taking exercise classes at a senior center but I wonder how qualified the instructors are. Now I'm worried she'll break something. I'll mention going to a physical therapist but I wonder if Medicare would cover it. It's probably considered 'normal aging' and they won't pay for it. This just makes me so sad because she is my favorite relative and a very sweet woman. I can't allow myself to think of losing her in the future.
Old 06-07-10, 12:30 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
She mentioned something about taking exercise classes at a senior center but I wonder how qualified the instructors are. Now I'm worried she'll break something. I'll mention going to a physical therapist but I wonder if Medicare would cover it. It's probably considered 'normal aging' and they won't pay for it. This just makes me so sad because she is my favorite relative and a very sweet woman. I can't allow myself to think of losing her in the future.
I've never heard of osteoporosis being considered "normal", any more than heart disease, diabetes etc. etc.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 12:35 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I attended a lecture on osteoporosis given by physicians at the local hospital recently. One of them described a surgery where small prostheses are inserted in the the spine to elevate and straighten it, and alleviate pain from the fractures. It would all be up to her doctors of course.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 01:01 PM  
Cecelia

This was a small study, but the results were promising for yoga as an intervention for dowagers hump.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5916GK20091002

Cecelia
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 01:09 PM  
Raphig

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I do the billing for some PTs, and MC should pay for something like that. There are several diagnosis codes that may apply, but it depends on how the PT codes it. There is a yearly limit on PT benefits under MC, but they can get additional benefits in certain situations. Just be sure to communicate well with the PT and their billing staff.

Terri
Raphig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dowager's hump, dr. loren fishman, osteopenia, osteoporosis, yoga benefits