Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-15, 08:32 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I have been trying to read All the Light We Cannot See for three days now with little luck. I never feel like picking it up. I have read about a quarter of the book and cannot get into it. My librarian mentioned she gave up also. Honestly I cannot see what all the fuss is about with this book. Love some thoughts, comments, opinions and even some motivation to continue.
This year, I resolved to NOT read books that felt like a slog. If I feel as though I'm forcing myself? I just drop it, no matter how well reviewed it is by others.

I've read a lot and enjoyed what I've read, which is good enough for me.

The way I see it, that book (and plenty of others) will be waiting for me at the library if and when I'm in the mood to try again.

I will admit that the entire setting of 'the World Wars' in general really doesn't appeal to me as something to read about, especially if there's lots of misery and suffering involved. Plus I get tired of the 'let's rewrite history by killing Hitler' sub plot, and sort of hold my breath til I know it's not going to appear. It can be done well (Kate Atkinson's Life After Life) but usually it doesn't thrill me. (And no, I don't know enough of the plot for All the Light to know if that's an element, just saying, in general why I prefer to avoid stories set in that time frame.)
Old 07-05-15, 08:48 AM  
PhyllisG

Loved Life After Life. Picking up the follow up to that A God In Ruins Tuesday from the library. Same time I will be returning All the Light.....unless someone here convinces me to keep trying.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 09:36 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Loved Life After Life. Picking up the follow up to that A God In Ruins Tuesday from the library. Same time I will be returning All the Light.....unless someone here convinces me to keep trying.
I really loved "All the Light We Cannot See" but I wouldn't recommend that you keep reading it if you aren't enjoying it.

I just finished, "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Dragon: Why China Has the Best (and Worst) Education System in the World." Very interesting and kind of scary, but it was a harder read than I expected and I ended up skimming a lot of it.

Just started "Dear Zoe."

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 10:51 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Just started "Dear Zoe."
I read Dear Zoe years ago and LOVED it--hope you enjoy it!

I finished Stephen King's Finder's Keepers; I didn't like it as much as Mr. Mercedes, but it did pick up more in the second half. It seems that it is likely part of a trilogy.

I've also been reading some non-fiction about yoga therapy on the side that is rather dry--it's interesting, but slow-going b/c it's fairly research-based. So, I'm not sure whether to start another novel in the meantime, or, I also have Dr. Ruth's memoir, which I expect to be a bit more lively.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 06:12 PM  
JezthePuff2

I'm reading "A Spool of Blue Thread" by Anne Tyler. I'm really enjoying it.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 07:08 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
I haven't heard of that one, Jez--is it new? I like her books but tend to be disappointed in the endings.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 08:15 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I read Dear Zoe years ago and LOVED it--hope you enjoy it!
I like it very much so far!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 09:12 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I haven't heard of that one, Jez--is it new? I like her books but tend to be disappointed in the endings.
Yes, I think it was written this year. The only one I've read of hers before is "The Amatuer Marriage." I remember nothing about it except that I did like it.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 10:23 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
I have been trying to read All the Light We Cannot See for three days now with little luck. I never feel like picking it up. I have read about a quarter of the book and cannot get into it. My librarian mentioned she gave up also. Honestly I cannot see what all the fuss is about with this book. Love some thoughts, comments, opinions and even some motivation to continue.
Phyllis, I felt the same way. You might want to watch the author's video clip about what inspired him to write the book. I watched the video after reading it and wished I had seen it beforehand. I think it might have given me a better perspective.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 10:27 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
I just read this one recently and really liked it too. In fact so much that I picked up another one of hers from the library the other day: The Accidental Tourist.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, reading, summer 2015