Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-15, 06:17 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
When I do deck squats with a kettlebell.
''Yes, this. On a good day without a bell as well.Does that count?

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 12:33 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i did mine like this, except i didn't need to push off behind my shoulders nor did i go into plow position, like she did. i simply rolled slightly back, legs crossed, and held my arms in front to propel me upwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSJES3cJMOs

eta: i am not buff like the woman in my link! just regular....
I also do it like this without push off. I can sit down without using my hands or crossing my legs but I end up rolling backwards after I hit the floor. If I cross my legs like in the video I just kind of plop down.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 08:52 AM  
MARIKA

I'm obsessed with mastering this now I can do it from the lowest pt on my step,I know that means crap. I just can't imagine that many people being able to do this I know it's really not about strength but I find more people are probably stronger than agile.With momentum I can do the plow thing too.
Old 07-05-15, 10:50 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
This has been discussed before:

First in 2012 when the study first came out: Can you get up off the floor without using your hands, if not you could be heading
Katy Bowman's article about the study: Can you get up off the flooor without using your hands or knees?
Earlier this year: Sit Rising Test

I remember last year I couldn't do it without at least one hand and one knee and it was still very challenging. Now I can do it easily with one hand. I'm overweight, so I while weight might be a factor, I don't think it is the most limiting one.
I had some good replies in those threads and I still feel the same.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 04:12 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I had some good replies in those threads and I still feel the same.
Yeah, I really appreciated that someone was studying aging from another perspective besides "the numbers". Like it acknowledges there is more to life than just your cholesterol number. Here he is saying it literally. That mobility is directly related to life.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 11:45 AM  
videofit

I can't bend my knees that deeply. I can sit cross legged when I am on the floor for short periods but the angle is wider compared to most people. Have had wonky knees since college (family trait having to do with cartilage) so I should have been dead years ago! Silly test!

By the way, my grandfather lived to be 84 smoking everyday. He rolled his own cigarettes.
Old 07-06-15, 03:29 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I can't bend my knees that deeply. I can sit cross legged when I am on the floor for short periods but the angle is wider compared to most people. Have had wonky knees since college (family trait having to do with cartilage) so I should have been dead years ago! Silly test!

By the way, my grandfather lived to be 84 smoking everyday. He rolled his own cigarettes.
There's just so much yoga (plus Osteo Bi-Flex) had/has been able to do with my internally rotated hip-joints (from birth) that won't become externally rotated (i.e., open hips) see Paul Grilley (to open your mind if indeed you think these things could be changed with flexibility practices, not just yoga). Add on to that, tight psoas muscles and weak glutes. Open hips, strong glutes and loosey-goosey psoas give you a great advantage in stable hands-free rising/falling from Indian sit—whether one's knees are ok or wonky.

But, in fact—hour for hour—dance makes me more flexible than yoga ever could (I now say that dance makes me flexible enough to do yoga; and yoga makes me sexy enough to do inspired dance ... )

Not so lucky in the nicotine department, judging by my immediate family and other relatives with cigarettes and pipes. If I weren't pushing 61 now; and came of age, in more current times I would have Vaped myself to death by now instead of being a nonsmoker since forever ... Some pretty early deaths, such as my mother (from lung cancer at age 54) and one of my uncles/aunts.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, sit stand test, sitting-rising test, srt