Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-14, 02:34 PM  
dela

Anthony Deluglio of AOS and Mark DeGrasse's Fitness is Function kettlebell dvds are my favorites. For the most part, I just ignore any kettlebell workouts that are not by certified instructors and/or seem to move to fast.

I definitely third, fourth, fifth the idea to go to a few classes with a certified trainer, doing so helped my form immensely. One (of the many) things I like about kettlebells is over the years I can tell and feel the improvement in my form and what I can do with them. Like when I first did snatches I just figured I would never get them right, I had actually stopped bells for a while, and when I came back to them, something just clicked and now I love doing the snatches.

I just signed up for a 12 session groupon with a local trainer for $60!. I already knew about him and know he's good and respected, so once the groupon came along I knew it was time to give him a shot.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 04:37 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Skogg and AOS Clinic are great places to start for learning form. I also really like Tracy Reifkind's Swing Book for teaching the swing in a progressive way - it's actually a great place to start for someone new to kettlebells - one super effective move that really teaches the most basic fundamentals of kettlebell training.

I'm another who will warn against Brook Benton. Everyone is different, and some people love her, but I've used kettlebell DVDs by Michael Skogg, Anthony Deluglio, Lauren Brooks, Sarah Lurie, Pavel Tsatsouline, Andrea duCane, MBody and Angie Miller with zero problems whatsoever. I did part of one workout by Brook Benton and ended up with a serious, painful, long-term shoulder injury that has never completely healed. Too fast, too light, and not mindful of form or biomechanics in my opinion. I really would caution against hers.
I have Tracy's book and highly recommend it. She also has a blog and posts different swing workouts on there:

http://tracysfoodandthought.blogspot.com/

I think Brook Benten is adorable and I really want to like her workouts. But she does way too many upright rows in all of her workouts and I don't do that move anymore due to shoulder issues.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 12:12 AM  
missaulnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
I was exactly in your shoes 6 months ago and got lots of good advice here. If you do a tag search for 'kettlebells for beginners' you'll get a lot of good threads.

If you can, I would advise starting with a live instructor. Videos are great but they can't see what you're doing and correct your form.

Any type of exercise has risks, but because of the weights involved and the ballistic swing of kettlebells, you could damage yourself if you're not doing it right.

I had 3 1-hour sessions with a coach and that got me started. And that way you don't need to buy a set of kettlebells before finding out if you're going to like it.

As for videos, I bought a whole bunch and found the best by far to get me started was MB45 Essentials.

For only $15 you get 2 DVDs, one of which has a really complete tutorial of every single move they use, and 2 15-min beginner workouts. The other has 3 half-hour KB workouts that will definitely allow you to work up a sweat but don't involve any fancy KB moves.
I LOVE this forum! You are all a such a valuable resource and wealth of information. bex thanks for the tip about the the tag search - it would appear I'm not the first to want to dip my toe into the world of kettlebells . The more I learn, the more intrigued I am by the movements and techniques so I think I will look into taking a class. I am hoping that I can find something that my husband and I can do together, I think it would be a great way for us to work out together. Thanks for all the DVD recommendations - Im sure if I get into it, I'll add some of them to my collection.
missaulnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 07:49 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Art of Strength website has several Minute of Strength clips. Have fun! Kettlebells rock.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 12:07 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Another vote for starting with swings and Tracy's book. I also had a few sessions with a trainer, but if you really study form and pay attention, I think you can get good form without.

Almost all my workouts are exclusively kettlebells now. I have limited time to workout and I feel like I adequately address strength and cardio in one 20-30 minute workout, and it makes me feel so stinkin' good! I've really been enjoying some of the swing workouts from Tracy's book recently. I also enjoy RKS and Lauren's initial dvd.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 12:09 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
Kettlebells rock.
Agreed!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 01:50 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Paul Katami's Ultimate Kettlebell Workouts for Beginners

I started with Kettlebells last year and I absolutely adore Paul Katami's "Ultimate Kettlebell Workouts for Beginners". Do not be fooled, the workout on this DVD are NOT EASY.

To this day I do the 25min "instructional" workout which is actually a full beginner-intermediate level workout with great tips. He and his background exerciser demonstrate great form.

I also have Zuzka's Z-Cut Kettlebell Start series, and they are excellent - good pace, short challenging workouts. However, Zuzka is not the workout I'd start with since she gives minimal pointers. But I'd put it on your list.

Have fun.
Old 05-24-14, 03:37 PM  
suzannaerin

Thanks for all the advice. Now have Paul's Ultimate for Beginners and am looking forward to trying it. I've already tested out his Drills, KB Kombos, and Build & Burn (should be called Sweat & Swear!). Sarah, his modifier, is my go to gal in those workouts. I think all of those DVDs have clinics, and I've done a couple of them (consider those mini workouts).

Once I'm more experienced, I'll get Zuzka's series and some more of Lauren B's workouts.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 03:56 PM  
Zenara25

Zuzka has her Kettlebell Workout for Beginners #5 posted for free on her youtube page in case anyone wants to check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_gwLDr1Q0
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 04:54 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
Zuzka has her Kettlebell Workout for Beginners #5 posted for free on her youtube page in case anyone wants to check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_gwLDr1Q0
Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to get Zuzka's KB workout, but she won't sell it outside of the US. I'd prefer to buy the DVD, but I'll settle for youtube if that's my only option.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aos, form pointers, kettlebell, kettlebells, kettlebells for beginners, mb45, ultimate kettlebell