Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-13, 11:36 PM  
bex

Arghh! I can't get the KB Clean!

You guys warned me. I started KB training last month, and now I'm obsessed. While I was visiting the US last month I had a few sessions with a trainer, enough to get me started. I ordered the Skogg system, and a few (several) other workouts.

But I just can't get the clean! I feel like an idiot - I can't even do the very first level of Skogg!

What am I missing?? All tips and hints welcome!
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-13, 11:45 PM  
andtckrtoo

A few things I can point out that worked for me. Make sure you keep the bell close to your body as you clean. It helps to start with the bell on the ground between your legs about mid sole on your foot. Pull the bell straight up. Start with the handle of the bell parallel to your legs so your pinky is facing towards the front of the room and your thumb towards the back, and rotate your wrist gently so that the handle rests on the back of your arm gently. It's really the wrist rotation that's important. Practice having the handle rotate in your hand and the bell rotate around your arm so that it does not slap the arm.
Old 12-08-13, 12:02 AM  
bex

Thanks!

A few more questions:
Did you practice in slow mo, or do you need to go at 'regular' speed to get the flow?
Did you find it helpful to practice with a lighter KB, or do I need to use the normal weight I use for swings (8 or 10kg)?
Old 12-08-13, 12:53 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Start with the handle of the bell parallel to your legs so your pinky is facing towards the front of the room and your thumb towards the back, and rotate your wrist gently so that the handle rests on the back of your arm gently. It's really the wrist rotation that's important. Practice having the handle rotate in your hand and the bell rotate around your arm so that it does not slap the arm.
This is a good description.
Placing the thumb facing toward the back and the pinky in the front when starting the movement really stopped the bell from hitting my wrist hard when cleaning. I learned this from one of Lauren Brooks' video tutorials. I think you can probably find it online.

ETA: Here is the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeVQ8_HmvxI
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 06:49 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I agree; starting with the thumb facing back was the key for me. Also, the clean should feel like it's coming from your legs. I don't think about my arm so much in a clean as I think about my legs. Are you practicing the dead clean or long cycle? I think starting with the dead clean is easier. Make sure your toes are pointing slightly out - the stance you should have for the swing. Stick your glutes back, thumb back. Put the power in your legs, thumb back, keep your elbow tucked as your come up. Aim to come to standing with power in your thighs and glutes, elbow and forearm tight to your side/chest, and your thumb at your throat. If you keep your arm tight to your side and your wrist straight, then the bell should naturally rotate and settle easily on your wrist without any banging. You may need to wear sweat bands on your wrist if you bruise easily.

You could practice with a lighter bell, or maybe put like a #15 pound dumbbell on a raised step and start with that. I find that practicing things like snatches with a dumbbell helps me perfect my form for when I do it with a kettlebell. Good luck!

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 07:52 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I was warned that the clean -- to nail it down - is so hard at first. Then you get it and you will wonder forever what on earth took you so long to get it, it is so simply. Be patient, it will come. As it was said try to use the strength of your hip and core to propel it up and not bicep curl it.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 08:06 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

One cue I've heard several times is imagine zipping up your jacket.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 09:39 AM  
jjarboe

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIsQ6dDzhU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_FeaF73ak
jjarboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 10:13 AM  
bex

Thanks everyone, these are super-helpful! I can't wait to get to the gym tomorrow and try them out.
Old 12-08-13, 12:36 PM  
Eilene

Yes...you want to act like you are zipping up your jacket with your hand & forearm close to your body.
Eilene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csi, kettlebell, kettlebell beginners