Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-26-20, 04:00 PM  
DD546

Hi! I'm a long time lurker with an occasional post here and there. I've been into fitness for a long time. I was a serious gym rat lifting heavy weights when I first got seriously involved with fitness in college. I hurt my back and switched to mostly swimming. Then I got into teaching aerobics and Spinning for several years. Work commitments and a long commute are what got me started on fitness DVDs and working out at home. I found VF while I was looking for reviews to find good workout DVDs, and shortly thereafter I became a true vidiot. I now have a LOT of workout videos, and I owe it all to VF. I can't imagine taking the time to go to a gym at this point, not to mention the whole Covid thing. I'm still an aerobics instructor (not currently teaching), who now, when I teach, I teach mostly Silver Sneakers and Yoga classes. I have a lot of fitness equipment at home--rower, spin bike, rebounders, step benches, and myriad dumbbells. My DH and I walk several times a week, and we like to hike when we go to the Blue Ridge mountains. My favorite and most used DVD workouts are probably Margaret Richard Body Electric workouts, but I usually do whatever suits my mood at any given time. I used to get up every morning at 7:00 a.m. every week day to work out with Margaret on PBS. I was in great shape when I did her workouts like that, but I was also much younger. I also like Classical Stretch, Ellen and Jessica. I tend to gravitate toward kinder to my body workouts these days. I'm in the process of compiling 10 Minute Solution, Crunch and Shape workouts because they're a good length and most can be modified to be lower impact. I can always squeeze in a 10 or 20 minute workout, and my motto is something is better than nothing. Covid hasn't really changed my workout habits too much. If anything it's gotten me outside more to walk with my DH. I've been working primarily remotely for several years, so my schedule and habits haven't changed too much. I look forward to checking in periodically, now that I've taken the plunge.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 07:22 PM  
Pam

Hi! My name is Pam. I live in a rural mountainous area, about an hour west of Boulder/Denver. My land joins a seldom used large National Forest. Unlimited hiking and running in nature was one of my top priorities when looking for land to build my house. I take advantage of this a lot in warm weather and plan to get out more this winter cross country skiing and snow shoeing.

A drawback living here is the risk of forest fires. I am 15 miles from the current wildfires and not in the potential path of them. A lot of people and communities have been effected, but the area I am in, has been fortunate not to have had any major fires, so far. I do have 2 cat carriers, a dog leash and a backpack with essential items ready, so I can evacuate quickly, if necessary.

Besides hiking and running, I enjoy mountain biking on dirt roads, low impact and rebounding cardio, strength, barre, Essentrics, yoga, pilates, kickboxing, and QiGong (also I am a QiGong healer. Just do treatments for family & friends, not looking to start a 2nd business).

I am self-employed and have always worked mostly from home. So that hasn't changed much due to Corvid.

I do miss the our frequent small community activities and getting together with family and friends. Glad I have 3 furry roommates. As it is sometimes it is too quiet and peaceful up here.
Old 10-27-20, 01:09 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi everyone! This is my first official Social Fitnessing check-in post! Drum roll...Today’s workout was 15 minutes on the rowing machine, 15 minutes on the Lifecycle, and leg and core, in my home gym.

Leg exercises included squats, lunges, calf raises, leg extensions, leg curls, adductor/abductor/glutes/hip flexors with machines. I alternated legs and core exercises. Core exercises included Roman chair, planks on Pilates reformer, seated crunches, decline sit-ups and twists, leg raises and bicycles, and a crunch machine. The workout took a little over an hour.

I was motivated to work out because of this check-in. It would have been much easier to plop down on the couch and watch mindless TV while munching on snacks. That’s what has gotten me into the state I am in, and have to get out of.

Hi Paula! We have a lot in common. I relate to not sleeping through the night. I bought a book a while back called, “Say Goodnight to Insomnia,” and it was very helpful. I also like Kari Anderson, and started taking tennis lessons early this year, but the shutdown put an end to that. I used to play a lot of tennis, and had wanted to get back to it for a while, so it’s really disappointing that it ended. The tennis club is open now, but I am reluctant to go. Cathe is my favorite, and I started her new series with the same workout, Pump Upper Body, on Saturday.

Hi Pat! Kudos for deciding to leave slugdom! The past 8 months have been very conducive to it. It’s great that you have such beautiful surroundings and can get outdoors to enjoy them. Yoga and Margaret Richard will definitely lift your mood, too. Kathy Smith has always been one of my favorites, too.

Hi Annette! It’s nice to see another longtime VFer here. I'm glad that you are giving the check-in a try! The instructors that you mentioned were among my early favorites, too. I still enjoy the older workouts, and don’t feel the need to buy many new ones, except Cathe’s. It's good that the pandemic hasn’t changed your routine much.

Hi Yogapam! I'm happy you joined here! I am impressed and inspired by everything you do! It's wonderful that you are teaching and figuring out ways to make it work during the pandemic. You have me curious about Essentrics. I will check into it. It sounds like you have maintained a positive mindset. Being by the shore sounds amazing.

Hi Anna! It sounds like you are trying to figure out how to become consistent with working out. I currently share that goal, although I used to be consistent. For me, motivation to work out happens when I am in a positive frame of mind and have some idea of what my fitness goals are. So, how do we get back to consistently exercising? I am hoping that this check-in will help, along with reading VF, because there are so many inspiring people here. It helps to set small goals at first, too.

Hi Helene! It’s nice to meet a fellow NYer! I hope this check-in helps you be accountable .

Hi Garrie! That was an amazing yard sale find! The Firm Classics are still my favorites. I must have done Volume 1 hundreds of times. Tracie is one of my favorite instructors. I like all of the instructors you mentioned. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on STS, as you do it. I have been thinking about trying it again.

Hi DD546! I’m glad you took the plunge! It sounds like you have been committed to being active for a long time. I remember Margaret on PBS. I used to do her workouts. One of my fitness highlights was when she came to NYC and gave a class for VFers. We had lunch with her afterwards. She was lovely and gracious.

Hi Pam! I know the area where you live because I visited my friend who lives in the mountains outside of Boulder. I was awestruck by the natural beauty. I hope you will not be affected by the fires. You are already inspiring me to get outdoors to exercise. I have always wanted to try cross-country skiing.

BTW, I had to rewrite this post because I got logged out while typing it. So, I recommend writing a draft on a different program first and pasting it in here.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 06:51 AM  
Rhonda

Hi everyone, I am Rhonda and I live in Michigan.

I have been a longtime VFer, basically when it first started. Can't exactly remember how I found out about it but have been an active reader and love it. Hoping it stays around.

The pandemic hasn't changed how I workout. I have worked out before work for 35 or more years now and it is just a habit. I notice if I don't get something in I am a slug the rest of the day. So my main workout is in the morning, and yes I am one of those early bird risers 4am workouts. I will also get walking breaks during the day as I aim for at least 10,000 steps each day. I am really trying to get some sort of stretching in each day and have found that I do well and then I stop doing this but I know I feel better when I keep it going so that is what I am working on.

I workout with KCM (have her RAW subscription); Peloton (where I do all my treadmill workouts); Powerstrike (I like Ilaria).

These workouts have helped me during the pandemic of not gaining weight and actually losing. I was working from home for 4-5 months straight and absolutely did not like it. I am one that is better when I go to the office. I have been able to go in twice a week for a few months now and it helps me. Puts me back into the "business mindset".

I also have two cats, one that loves it when I am home as she will come in the room and sleep on the floor or start to nag me as she wants the attention. The other one is usually outside or sleeping. Hubby has continued to work through this whole thing.

It is nice to see others, and hope I can keep up with the check in. I start off well and then I usually die off
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 09:14 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

It's so fun to get to really "meet" some more VF'ers outside my usual check-ins.

I really need to get in some weight training this week, but yesterday was a nice mind/body fitness series consisting of:

~ Kia Miller Morning Kundalini (Glo)
~ Shakti Warrior lesson 3, Free Flow
~ Fourth and final class in psoas yoga series

In the psoas class the teacher lectured about how we store our life traumas in the psoas. It is such a tricky muscle - in so many of us it gets tight and/or imbalanced. Now add to that it is a trauma savings bank. I have also heard that hip openers release stress, and Essentrics "hip cleaners" have been touted as a stress reliever, too.

Make it a wonderful day everyone.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 10:18 AM  
laurajhawk

Hi folks - I hope it's not too late to join in!
I'm Laura, I live in Colorado, and I've been a VFer for a long long time. My "forever workout" is yoga, and before the pandemic I was taking classes at a studio and at work (we had a fitness center with free classes), and I was substitute-teaching at the studio too - I took teacher training in 2013. Since March, I've been working from home, and for several months my studio went to livestream classes. They still have livestream but have reopened for live classes too - it's a tiny studio that just fits four students with social distancing, so I feel fairly safe going to those. I haven't started teaching again.
Working from home means less activity during the day; I try to jump on the rebounder for a few minutes when my Fitbit reminds me to move. I didn't get nearly the walking/hiking time I'd have liked during my favorite season, fall, because we've had terrible smoke from the wildfires. I live in town and felt fairly safe, but the smoke and lack of sunlight were truly depressing. This last weekend, we had snow, and today there's bright sun for the first time in ages - but it's single digit temperatures.
I'm off work today and still in my robe, so I'll post yesterday's workouts. I tore the shrinkwrap on Cathe's Perfect Pump and did the Upper Body workout - liked it pretty well, though I never go as heavy as Cathe. Later, I did the Lunar backbend segment from Shiva Rea's More Daily Energy.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 10:19 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Hi Everyone!

I'm not the best at check-ins, but this is such a good idea, Abbe!

My name is Alta. I'll be 65 soon.

I live in Southern California. I've been exercising consistently since 1980. I have done running, Jazzercise, had a NordicTrac for a while and then found VF in 1998 or thereabouts.

My biggest goal is to age well. I have bone loss so I try to do weights and work on balance regularly. I've been doing this same rotation for a few years. It is very flexible and has built in rest and stretch days:

▪ Sunday: Stretch, Mobility and/or Balance
▪ Monday: Steady State Cardio
▪ Tuesday: Upper Strength/Abs & Intervals
▪ Wednesday: SS Cardio, Mobility or Balance
▪ Thursday: Lower Strength/Abs
▪ Friday: SS Cardio, Mobility or Balance
▪ Saturday: Total Body Strength

I do yearly goals and put a dollar in a jar for each workout day.

I've noticed that I've been putting off my workouts later and later in the day. As late as 3pm. I need to get going earlier!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 12:14 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!!

My first official workout since last Thursday - yikes!! But, I've been doing yard work and de-cluttering the basement. Anyway, today I did Perfect 30 Upper Body with the core bonus and stretch. I "reviewed" it in the general discussion thread. I typically don't do reviews because I'm not detail oriented enough to give thorough descriptions of moves, all I can say is what I like or dislike about a workout. Here's what I wrote:

I did the upper body/core bonus/extended stretch premix today; it was a little over 45 minutes which was perfect for me. I will never go as heavy as Cathe, especially since I don't have weights greater than 20 lbs but think I will get a lot of use out of this. Really like the chest flies with leg extension move as I can feel it in my core. Overall it felt a little rushed but she packed a lot into 30 minutes. The core bonus I loved! The moves were slow and controlled so I felt I could really concentrate on the working muscles. The stretch was okay, nothing special but am glad it's included in some of the pre-mixes. I prefer the extended stretches in the LITE series.

Pat - I definitely have issues/pain in the psoas area and have been doing some research to find some relief. It's so strange, the pain is mostly on my left side and travels to the groin area. I've been trying to find effective stretches but nothing so far really, really gets into the area. Sitting too much definitely makes it hurt more. A good reason to keep moving!

Alta - I like your weekly routine; it seems really balanced. I should make more of an effort to workout everyday. I get sidetracked easily with home projects then run out of energy. I'm not a morning exerciser so will have to figure out another way.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 08:37 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Here’s how my week started. I like to get some cardio in every day along with some strength work & something stretchy. But I’m not doing much strength work until I get this nagging hip thing under control. I go back to my PT next week.

Monday:
~WOW Monster Mash walk
~Long beachfront walk at a local park with DH
~VFer Toaster’s Spacious Spine Yoga on YT - this was very nice, the twists & side stretches felt especially good!
~Figure 4 at the wall & legs up the wall
~Steps: 12,383

Tues:
~Essentrics barre class on Band
~7 km neighbourhood & trail walk
~VFer Toaster’s Standing Strong Yoga on YT
~Steps: 12,242

Nice to see so many joining in!

I like your rotation Alta!

Your psoas class sounds very nice Pat. And Essentrics hip cleaners are a fave of mine, try to put them in all my classes, especially when I do barre work.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 08:54 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

It's great to "meet" so many VFers!

I took two virtual dance classes this evening - cha-cha and hip-hop. Not a really a true workout, as they were both more instructional in nature, with the teacher breaking down new choreography, but it was a ton of fun. I never would have had the nerve to try this in the "real" world.

At lunch yesterday I did a live 30-minute step class on YouTube with CDornerFitness. Another benefit of being able to work from home. In the office, it was not really possible to do a workout at lunch.

So glad that everyone is making efforts to cope as best as they can during the pandemic.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check in, check-in, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, new check-in, pandemic, social fitnessing