Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-21, 01:19 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
I've been doing the Extension-Based Strengthening routine on the Better Back Yoga DVD and it seems to be working. I do this periodically to counteract all the forward bending in my other workouts. Otherwise I have back pain....
Lisa, how long have you had back pain? Have you been to a physician to have it evaluated?

Since having a vertebral compression fracture a few years ago, I do NO forward bends or bent over exercises. I found ways to modify almost every back exercise to standing up.

I think of pain as a signal that should be looked in to. Once you know exactly what is going on you can move forward.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 02:28 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
The only frontal flexion in Essentrics is airplane---which I never teach and is rarely included in the newer workouts. Probably the #1 problem people have with Essentrics is not engaging the pelvic tuck and rounding the back. Whenever the arm(s) is extended in the front, you need to have the tailbone tucked under. It's not a full c curve, but the tuck protects and stretches the lumbar spine.

I'd be happy to do a Zoom call with you if you'd like...send me a message if you're interested in breaking down form.
It's very kind of you to offer to look at my form. I actually can't do the tuck because that aggravates my back. I modify by keeping a neutral spine as well as I can. When they go to the floor or do the bent over rag doll and reach for their ankles, I go to my stomach and bend backwards.

It's these little things that keep my back in good shape while still letting me do the mobility and toning work that I love.
Old 03-06-21, 02:37 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Lisa, how long have you had back pain? Have you been to a physician to have it evaluated?

Since having a vertebral compression fracture a few years ago, I do NO forward bends or bent over exercises. I found ways to modify almost every back exercise to standing up.

I think of pain as a signal that should be looked in to. Once you know exactly what is going on you can move forward.
In my 20's (many, many years ago) I was diagnosed with a lumbar herniated disc. I was frequently in crisis on my hands and knees. My first round of physical therapy at our major university didn't help. Part of the routine was standing toe-touches.

A colleague recommended a therapist who owned his own practice. This guy was young and would have fit in with the cast of Jersey Shore. He brought out a research paper, said it was 'peer-reviewed' and showed me that I should not bend forward at all. I needed to do a cobra type exercise from my stomach 10x, 3x/day. Now this guy owns a chain of PT locations.

This worked. I was never in crisis again. To stay in maintenance, I have to make sure I bend back much more than I bend forward. If I pick up something from the ground, I keep my back straight.

I still want to do things like dead-lifts so I work on the extension exercises to balance things out. I'll stop a workout halfway through to do cobra stretches if I feel a twinge in my back.
Old 03-06-21, 04:55 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I recommend Jessica Valent - she is a PT and Pilates instructor. She has a paid site, but she also uploads a lot of content to You Tube. She has a herniated disc practice as well as a back strengthening practice. The You Tube videos are generally shorter versions of the practices she has on her paid site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRaQP93n6CE&t=6s

I hear you on the extensions, my back has troubled me since I was in my 20s as well. And, it is hard to find programs that include a decent amount of extension to balance the forward flexion - which we all generally do too much of anyway!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 06:23 PM  
Sollamyn

You might want to check out Jessica Smith's Gentle Yoga for Back Pain Relief & Prevention DVD. It's been a long time since I've done it, but if I recall correctly, it is extension-oriented with few forward bends, if any.

If I find the time, I will review it later today or tomorrow.

Donna
Old 03-07-21, 11:13 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
... I still want to do things like dead-lifts so I work on the extension exercises to balance things out. I'll stop a workout halfway through to do cobra stretches if I feel a twinge in my back.
It sounds like you have found what works for you.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 04:05 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

I recommend Jessica Valent - she is a PT and Pilates instructor. She has a paid site, but she also uploads a lot of content to You Tube. She has a herniated disc practice as well as a back strengthening practice. The You Tube videos are generally shorter versions of the practices she has on her paid site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRaQP93n6CE&t=6s

I hear you on the extensions, my back has troubled me since I was in my 20s as well. And, it is hard to find programs that include a decent amount of extension to balance the forward flexion - which we all generally do too much of anyway!

Donna
Thank you for this recommendation. I just did this herniated disc practice and it was great! I'm going to check out more of her videos.
Old 03-08-21, 04:17 PM  
donnamp

I'm glad it could help, Lisa! I have a little routine of Jessica's PT type videos that I do often - this one, sciatica, SI joint, scoliosis......

Donna
Old 03-09-21, 01:56 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I'm glad it could help, Lisa! I have a little routine of Jessica's PT type videos that I do often - this one, sciatica, SI joint, scoliosis......

Donna
Donna, if you have time, it would be very nice if you would post a few links to your favorites. I have mild scoliosis so that one is intriguing.
Old 03-09-21, 05:31 PM  
donnamp

Hi

Jessica Valent - did the work for me - she has a playlist, here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...o6vCUOs6gGJgq4

As a PT, I feel that her advice and recommendations are pretty sound.

Donna

Tags
back pain, dean pohlman