Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-20, 06:09 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

You may not have much of a choice .... Unless manufacturing and shipping has picked up. My washer died late September. At that time, there were hardly any appliances to be found. They were expecting maybe mid-November for ships to arrive and then mid-December to clear up the backlog of installations. I ended up with a Maytag, they were the only brand manufacturing in the U.S. At the time, there were only 24 washers within a 750 radius of my home.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 06:58 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

When I was having my dryer worked on earlier this month, my repairman was recommending Speed Queen appliances. I've never had one, although I've used commercial line Speed Queen washers and dryers at laundromats.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 08:10 AM  
Diana3271

I have a Speed Queen and really like it. It's very basic. The downside is that it is small, compared to others. But this is fine because it's just two of us.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 08:42 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
we went through 2 front-loading machines before going back to top loading. that's all i can suggest - front loading just didn't last too long for us.
We went through 3 Front Loader washing machines. NEVER AGAIN will I have a Front Loader! All of them had a mold problem even though we always left the door open when not in use and also 2 of them broke down. We now have a Top Loader High Efficiency washer with no agitator and I like it a lot.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 08:54 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
We went through 3 Front Loader washing machines. NEVER AGAIN will I have a Front Loader! All of them had a mold problem even though we always left the door open when not in use and also 2 of them broke down. We now have a Top Loader High Efficiency washer with no agitator and I like it a lot.
Paine, do you find the non-agitator cleans as well? I'm just so conditioned to seeing the laundry getting a good "beat down" from the agitator.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 09:38 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Paine, do you find the non-agitator cleans as well?
Pat, our new washer cleans well without the agitator. The lid/door of the washer has a clear window and it appears to clean thoroughly when I've watched it washing a load. My DH told me yesterday that our clothes smell cleaner than they did with our previous washer. I'm still using the same detergent so the fresh smell must be from the washer.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 09:54 AM  
Gams

I called the appliance store to see what they had in stock. Told the guy I wanted to stay away from Whirlpool because mine broke down after just a few years. He said, “I hear that all the time.” Too bad he didn’t mention that when he was selling me the darn machine. 🤣
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 10:01 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I called the appliance store to see what they had in stock. Told the guy I wanted to stay away from Whirlpool because mine broke down after just a few years. He said, “I hear that all the time.” Too bad he didn’t mention that when he was selling me the darn machine. ��
Gams, friends told me to avoid Whirlpool, Samsung and LG when my oven died in November and I had to buy a new one a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.

Aside - they put me on a waiting list through end of January!!! Because of COVID, the supply chain for appliances is very low. I switched to a more basic model than the one I wanted and was told it might be in by mid-December. Fortunately I only had to wait two weeks. Not a washing machine, but so far I'm happy with the GE range I purchased.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 11:27 AM  
warriorprincess

I've had great luck with my Whirlpool side loading washer and dryer. My original washing machine lasted 16 years and I replaced it with another just like it. I still have the original Whirlpool side loading dryer, now 18 years old. And I have VERY hard water.

On the other hand, I can't find a dishwasher that will last more than 2 years.

And appliance repairmen tend to be useless. More than once I've called one out that tells me I need a new motherboard that costs more than the appliance, and then I google it and fix it myself. This is an industry I wish some silicon valley entrepreneur would disrupt.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 12:22 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I just bought this one from Lowes about a year ago after my 12 yr old washer stopped working and I didn't want to repair it again. I like having an agitator and "deep clean" option for sheets and larger items. So far, no problems and it cleans really well. I did buy the 5 year warranty though, just in case I run into issues.

I opted for the delivery, installation, and for them to take my old washer too. It costs a little extra but was worth the convenience. It was delivered about 3 days after I ordered online.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-4-2-cu-f...ite/1000757210
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washers, washing machines