Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-19, 03:33 PM  
angie_nrs

I don't do planners per se. I grabbed a couple of free calendars at the credit union and I use one next to my phone for appointments and birthdays and such. The other is down in my workout room to record which workout I did, how long it was, and a rating from 1-10 on how likable it was for me. Rating them on likability is something new I'm going to do for this next year. I also record my weight once per week, which is also new for me. I have had seperate workout calendars for the past several years to record my workouts on. Why do I keep these???

As far as tracking food and goals, I just use SparkPeople. I only track food when I've fallen off the proverbial wagon and need to get my eating in check. I've done pretty well since this past autumn, but if I need to tweek, I'll start logging again until I get it back under control.
Old 01-02-20, 07:00 PM  
LAC

There is an Aldi's near where I work, so I stopped by this afternoon to check out the wellness planner and ended up getting one for myself. Thanks for posting about this Sherry!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 11:21 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
The other is down in my workout room to record which workout I did, how long it was, and a rating from 1-10 on how likable it was for me. Rating them on likability is something new I'm going to do for this next year. I also record my weight once per week, which is also new for me. I have had seperate workout calendars for the past several years to record my workouts on. Why do I keep these???
I have my workout logs going back to when I first started working out regularly with videos and they are kind of handy when I pick up a workout I haven't done in years to remember whether I really liked it, what weights I used, etc.

(Also I am a planner/journal hoarder and still have my planner pages an journals going back to college, so there's that too...)

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 12:17 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
There is an Aldi's near where I work, so I stopped by this afternoon to check out the wellness planner and ended up getting one for myself. Thanks for posting about this Sherry!
You are very welcome!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 04:25 PM  
JezthePuff2

I love the idea of paper planners, but they just don't work for me. They seem unwieldy and take more of my time than my current methods, which are mostly electronic. Here's what I do that seems to work pretty well for me:

1. My company uses Outlook, so I put all of my appointments (work and personal) on there. I put my reminders as well. This syncs with my smart phone so that I get the reminders no matter where I am.

2. I also utilize Asana (web-based project management system) for projects. I believe there is a free version that works really well for most uses. My company pays for a mid-level version which allows for timelines, etc. It's pretty cost-effective. While this is mostly just for work, I have in the past used it for personal projects if they were a little more complicated. Again, it syncs with my phone.

3. There are some very nice calendar templates in Microsoft Excel. I started (just this year) tracking my workouts on one of them. The one I use has a tab for every month, and you can just type your workout on each date.

4. I always carry a notebook for writing down ideas, tasks, etc., which I will then transfer to Asana if it's part of a project or put on my calendar if it's something I need to remember for a particular day. I also usually plan my days on this because there is something about writing it down on paper and crossing off things when finished. I love having a beautiful notebook with spiral binding, so I buy personalized ones from Erin Condren. Kind of pricey because I go through them quickly, but they make me happy!

Sorry for writing a book, but I am a bit obsessed with time management tools and productivity hacks. This is just what works for me.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 09:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
I don't do planners per se. I grabbed a couple of free calendars at the credit union and I use one next to my phone for appointments and birthdays and such. The other is down in my workout room to record which workout I did, how long it was, and a rating from 1-10 on how likable it was for me. Rating them on likability is something new I'm going to do for this next year. I also record my weight once per week, which is also new for me. I have had seperate workout calendars for the past several years to record my workouts on. Why do I keep these???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I have my workout logs going back to when I first started working out regularly with videos and they are kind of handy when I pick up a workout I haven't done in years to remember whether I really liked it, what weights I used, etc.

(Also I am a planner/journal hoarder and still have my planner pages an journals going back to college, so there's that too...)
This is funny because just today I said to myself "THIS is why I keep these" regarding my fitness logs. I was doing a dustbunny video-a Mindy Mylrea Gliding workout and the note I wrote on the DVD case said I did it in July 2009. So I went to my log and my entry for the day listed the workout name and "Great!" Now I never would have known to look in that log if I didn't write the date on the DVD. Several years ago I stopped doing video workouts in favor of gym workouts but when I was doing them I tried to keep a index card in the case with the dates I did the workout. Then I could go to my log and see what weights I used etc. One of these days I suppose I will get rid of these logs (mine go back to at least 2008) but I am glad I have them.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 09:57 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykram View Post
Barnes and Noble has a wide selection of planners. I usually get one for exercise, one for family appointments and stuff, and one for myself to write little thoughts.

I used to write in a journal when I was younger but found it hard to do as an adult. But, I find journaling helps me though to work through my thoughts and feelings so I now get a planner to write little things (ideally) daily. If I can or want to write more, I’ll write in a journal but this helps with my emotions.
I almost always get a planner at Barnes and Noble. They had their own brand but a few years ago they stopped making them. Last year I got one that was similar that was Punctuate brand which may just be their new name. Anyway there are some very nice designs and I always wait until after the new year. In fact I need to swing by tomorrow to get one. I get one with a week's entries over two pages. I only use these to log my workouts. I don't really plan my life on paper. I don't have long term projects per se. For appointments I use the calendar on my phone. I hang a blotter calendar on the wall of my pantry closet so my husband and I can enter birthdays, family events, business travel, fitness classes etc.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 11:13 PM  
ncl

I do a Bullet Journal and it is planner, tracker, note taker, calendar, book list, whatever you want it to be and you can get creative with it and change up the layout as you feel necessary to fit. I also use Todoist online to do list that syncs with all my devices, but I plan more with the bullet journal. I have a digital calender on my computer but I also do a calendar in the bullet journal. It is easy to put stuff down immediately on digital, but later and I write it down in the bullet journal which helps me feel like I have more of a grip on it AND lets me see a whole month or a whole week visually, which is helpful to me.

https://bulletjournal.com/
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:07 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
Sorry for writing a book
Don't apologize! Lots of us like reading books. Your post is shorter than most books, and even in its brevity it contains more interesting and usable content than some of them.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 11:21 AM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
I do a Bullet Journal and it is planner, tracker, note taker, calendar, book list, whatever you want it to be and you can get creative with it and change up the layout as you feel necessary to fit. I also use Todoist online to do list that syncs with all my devices, but I plan more with the bullet journal. I have a digital calender on my computer but I also do a calendar in the bullet journal. It is easy to put stuff down immediately on digital, but later and I write it down in the bullet journal which helps me feel like I have more of a grip on it AND lets me see a whole month or a whole week visually, which is helpful to me.

https://bulletjournal.com/
I'm getting back into Bullet Journalling this year myself. Starting slow, tracking just a few things, but I think as the year goes on, I'll put more and more in my Bujo ( nickmame for Bullet Journal)

Tags
bullet journal, happy planner, journal, journals, planners, workout log