Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-19, 08:48 PM  
desertMermaid

Pure barre studio series?

My fitness tastes keep changing and sometimes I return to methods I abandoned long ago. About a decade ago I was obsessed with barre, I could not get enough. Then the market got saturated and I was very underwhelmed. I recently reaquired Pure Barre: Ballet, Dance & Pilates Fusion (the original workout in the horrible black studio, Carrie in black pants, you can’t see anything, hideous pink light, bad music.) I reaquired this one because it was one of the early DVDs that introduced me and made me fall in love with barre. I’ve acquired and gotten rid of a few of her others over the years (Pershing squares, 16th streets, Lowry lofts, etc.) I never really connected with them. They just didn’t measure up to the first in terms of workout intensity and didn’t really seem to deliver anything new.
I did this DVD over the weekend probably for the first time in 7-8 years. It was great. So now I’m wondering if I should consider the studio series, but I looked for clips and they seemed like they were not that different from one another? Are they worth considering? Which one is most worthy of consideration?
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 03:03 AM  
starbelly

The newer videos (all several years old now) are more intense than the Pure Barre videos that Carrie led after the original. There are 2 DVDs with 2 half hour workouts each (Flex Series, if I recall correctly), the Resistance Series (1 and 4 are the easiest, 2 and 3 are tougher), the Pure Results (all very challenging, but not terribly different from each other) and two other series of two (Arms and Abs, I think). If you have access to streaming, you could try a month and sample all of the videos to see which ones you prefer.

I love Pure Barre since there isn't a lot of chatter or setup so the workouts really move. The Mile High series (Carrie) is a great travel set since they are about 30 minutes each and use only the ball. I didn't care for the Studio Series (I have 1 and 2) since the use of props didn't seem especially effective and the picture quality isn't great.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 01:04 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

The studio series Pure Barres are hard to find, and very overpriced when you do see them. I don't remember which studio series I had, but I didn't keep them. One used a yoga block for behind the knee - a ball is much better for this. Another had a small towel to grip b/t your thighs and a ball works better for this too.

IMHO, any barre franchise's workouts are similar to their others. Like Leslie's walks or Vivaldi's concertos.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 01:53 PM  
desertMermaid

I found a reasonable price on 1 and 3. But if I don’t use them then it’s a waste of money. I’ll just stick with the original and enjoy it for what it is. The others will likely just let me down. Thanks.
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 09:31 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I was able to purchase most of the newer Pure Barre workouts before they became OOP.

The workouts I like the best (and also the ones that are hardest): Focus/Results series, then Resistance, Sculpted Abs, Flex (I only have one of these - the second version of the 6 short workout type). I also have the Essentials but that one is a bit easier.

I agree with starbelly that all the newer workouts are more challenging than the older ones with Carrie. The only one one I kept is Pershing Square 2 which has a great leg/seat set, but still definitely easier on the whole than the newer ones.

Of the newer ones, yes, like others mentioned, are all pretty similar, in fact all the Pure Barres are similar, they follow a very tight formula. However, what I really love about the Pure Barres (I have TONS of barre workouts and they are probably my favorites) is that they are fast moving, no down time, great music, actually get your heart rate up (which I can't say about most barre), but still have teeny tiny pulses unlike other barre workouts like Booty Barre or P57 that use larger ROM.

FWIW I think Focus/Results Abs is the best of that series, and Resistance 4 is the toughest of that series with Resistance 3 being the easiest, I just can't seem to make that one challenging for me, although it is fun. The Sculpted Abs uses the ball, is total body despite the name but they are shorter at about 45 minutes instead of 60 for the Focus series.

It's hard to say if they are worth the $$$ they are going for now, but I would still watch out for occasional bargains. The Pure Barre franchise is a good example of splurging on DVDs while they are still in print, IMO. Around the time PB went OOP I splurged on all the HSMs too, despite the price, for the same reason. I know most DVDs are eventually going OOP so I don't mind spending more now, to have these in the long run.

I think this one is designed to be easier, but it is worth trying to see if you would like the new style, before splurging on any of the DVDs. The woman teaching is one of the instructors on the new DVDs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_n8adK1mmQ&t=1206s
Old 04-14-19, 08:52 AM  
Garrie A.

IMHO, don't bother with the Studio Series. I tried 3 and 4. They have poor production quality (grainy overhead shots, poor camera angles), and illogical use of props (using a yoga block just for the sake of it).
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Joyce Vedral "Mix-It-Up" Rotation

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 10:14 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I digress, but I was searching YouTube for Pure Barre and found this. I like her and the workout looks good. Tryng to find a channel by her now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aro2Je...&start_radio=1
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 10:23 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Disregard
Old 04-14-19, 10:30 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Disregard

Tags
pure barre, pure barre resistance, pure barre studio series