Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-17, 09:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

CS, Essentrics and using the chair

Am I alone in loving Essentrics, Classical Stretch, but hating the chair work?

I don't mind using the chair as balance aid for one-legged exercises, foot work and calf raises. But the bending and stretching over it is aggravating and sometimes hurts my back.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. So many of the episodes use it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 09:14 AM  
mandie123

No,I l feel the same way,and usually skip that part
Old 10-26-17, 09:18 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I don't love the chair stretching, but it really does help my back. Are you keeping your supporting leg soft? Do you have good posture and alignment, not hunching over your leg?

Sometimes it just gets to be too much standing on one leg. You can always shorten it up if that is the case. I find I have to switch legs often with my classes...if you have back or hip issues sometimes it aggravates. Maybe take a break and wiggle around, or switch sides?

Or just skip it altogether if you really loathe the chair stretches, and do your own stretching.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 09:19 AM  
violingal3

Yes, I find the chair a little awkward for the exact same reasons. In my other recent Essentrics post, I had a few other Essentrics DVDs with me, but I decided to stick to the Full Body Toning workout mainly because there was no chair.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 09:51 AM  
BunnyHop

I can't really decide how I feel about it.

I use a tall step stool instead of a chair for most CS work because of the arrangement of my workout space. I can't just place a chair in one spot and work around it, the space is too small. Haven't found an actual chair that's light enough to move around (but sturdy enough to do the work), so I use the step stool. It's got a tall handle, which I think is helpful for doing a lot of the barre stretches (the ones that usually come at the end of a workout).

I wish I had an actual chair I could use, and the right amount of space available to make it simple, but for now that's not in the cards.
(FWIW, the dvd player in our living room just doesn't seem to like CS dvds, so I don't workout there.)
Old 10-26-17, 11:04 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've done it at the office in the conference room. There is one of those big, solid and upholstered chairs in there that works marginally well for it. But I don't have one at home.

Thank you for your advice Jackie. I'll keep your pointers in mind.

I'll try going to the floor next time and see how that works.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 02:20 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Another thought....could you use a lower chair? Like a stool or stairs? Sometimes I use the brick edge of the fireplace.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 05:06 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I love using the chair. I use one of our light stackable patio chairs with arms. Obviously, it’s no longer a piece of our patio furniture.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 10:39 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Pat, for barre work I use a light weight step stool that has 2 steps. I really don’t like stretching my hamstrings while using the chair/stool. I always feel like I’m going to lose my balance and fall over while stretching my hamstrings on the chair. I’d rather stretch my hamstrings while laying on my back on the floor. I don’t mind doing side bends with the chair/stool. It feels good to stretch my arms and low back while using the chair. We are all built differently. Listen to your body and modify or eliminate the exercise if you have to.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-17, 12:28 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I another one of those oddball fans of chair work. Depending on the exercise, I use either an armless chair with a back for support or a sturdy wall mounted bar I can also hold on to.

However, if you hate it and it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Just like I don't do a lot of the plank segments in these or other DVDs because they kill my wrists. I do forearm planks until they start to kill my shoulders. Whatever works!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, classical stretch chair, essentrics