Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-17, 09:50 AM  
violingal3

My accidental Essentrics experiment

Let me first say that in real life, I am an exercise nut who tries to fit in as much variety as I can and the thought of dedicating myself to just yoga or something like Essentrics has always been appealing, just not doable in my mind.

Well, I went away for about a month to visit my grandmother and I took a variety of "travel friendly" DVDs with me - everything from puke in the bucket cardio and body weight workouts to yoga and Pilates.

For whatever reason, I wasn't feeling the hardcore workouts. I really wanted to dedicate myself to yoga, but I didn't have a mat with me so the first few yoga practices were not enjoyable sliding around on the carpet or blankets I tried to use etc...

Luckily I threw in my Eccentrics Full Body Toning workout. I did this single DVD about 5-6 times per week for about a month. Maybe it was overkill, but it was what I had to work with. Pretty funny since I have hundreds of DVDs at home and struggle each day to pick out my workout. I didn't have a set schedule, so if I couldn't do the entire hour, it was nice to fit in the 30 min segments during the day or evening when I had free time. And the beauty was no equipment or mat needed!

I am amazed at the results. I lost quite a bit of weight (7 lbs or so of those stubborn vanity pounds), I think the lower intensity did wonders keeping my appetite in check. My arm definition is insane. My hips, thighs and quads slimmed down like nothing else. I'm pear shaped and those were my problem areas. By the end of the month even my tight yoga pants were loose!

With the consistency, I was able to build up my endurance and really focus on form and getting deeper into the movements (especially the arms, windmills, and airplanes). Since I've been home for a week, I was craving yoga and haven't done any Eccentrics. I thought I was going to have to work my way back into yoga after being away for so long to regain some flexibility. Not the case at all! My yoga is on a whole other level! I am amazed at how much length and flexibility I actually gained by doing Essentrics!

I am pleasantly surprised and it just confirms to me that less is more, especially as I age. My joints feel good, I feel limber and light. I will always love my sweaty cardio and weight lifting workouts, but I just feel better and more at peace with my mind and body with these types of workouts. I would encourage anyone to try Essentrics for a period of time and just take the plunge. I am going to have to reconsider how I balance my weeks and really dedicate more time to gentle workouts.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 10:20 AM  
PhyllisG

I have been doing yoga just about exclusively for more than a year now. Love to throw something else into the mix. I got the Callanetics Countdown and despite the raves have not been able to commit to it. So which Essentrics Full Body did you do? I just watched the clip fir the Esentrics Full Body Toning and that looked good.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 10:39 AM  
Janine

Smile

Thanks for sharing. I love Classical Stretch/ Essentrics and do it every day but always do cardio first and weights because I'm worried that it won't be enough alone. Your results are amazing! Maybe I should try that alone for a while and see what happens.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 10:56 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Wow! Congrats! I assume you did this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Essentrics-Fu...rds=essentrics
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 10:59 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Amazing results, thank you for sharing!

Sigh, if only I could commit to focusing on one type of workout ...
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 11:57 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Congrats, amazing results. Guess what workout I did today after reading your post?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 01:35 PM  
momofcha

Fantastic!!

I that workout!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 01:49 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

That's really impressive! Congrats on your results and thanks for sharing! I have this DVD and will have to give it another go with some consistency.
Old 10-25-17, 03:41 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Wow! Congrats! I assume you did this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Essentrics-Fu...rds=essentrics
Yes, that's the one!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 04:13 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am fairly new to Essentrics, but I have done that Full Body Toning workout a few times and I really like it. I have also been tempted to focus more on Essentrics/CS, but I just have not committed to it yet. I am so glad to hear that you had such great results!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, essentrics, success stories