Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-17, 11:08 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I have never done CS, but have done a few Essentrics and was not impressed. I'm probably the odd man out here though.

My absolute favorite stretch is Gentle Yoga, part of Travis Eliot's Ultimate Yogi set. I also really like Yin Yoga in the same set. I don't think these can be purchased separately however, but you could email udaya and certainly ask.

I also like doing Cathe's Stretch Max doing 2 of the 3 segments back to back.

youtube searches for "Gentle Yoga" or "Deep Stretch" has alot of freebies. I especially like those by Five Parks Yoga with Erin Sampson.
I am right there with you Tugger. Have tried several DVDs and even had a full season. Just don't see all the hype about them but we are all different.

I prefer yoga or straight stretching. I am not one for movement during stretch and that could be why I am not a fan of CS/Essentrics.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 12:04 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
So, I guess according to a lot of people, a good mobility/flexibility workout is those of Classical Stretch.

Now, I know nothing. I'm the Jon Snow of Classical Stretch, I know nothing. I did a search, but dang, that was a little overwhelming.

So, I just need to know what is a good one or two to buy. I'm just looking for a nice workout to help me with mobility, esp in my back, hips and legs. Those are the areas where I get stiff and sore the most.

Thanks in advance!
Several years ago a "friend" from Collage/Total Fitness talked about CS/Essentrics helping her with her back pain. I didn't have back pain but I was doing a lot of walking and biking and needing the stretch after. I came here to VF and read up and of course found all kinds of suggestions on where to start, Season this, season that, Essentrics etc. I went back and asked my "friend" and she said "I love season X but I think Season Y is my favorite, but Season Z really makes me feel good...", Ha, just like here at VF. I was so overwhelmed I had no idea where to start. So I closed my eyes and picked a season. I told myself I was getting 1 season and that was it. Another "friend" said she loved the Essentrics Abs/Waist/Arms workout so ok, I added that to my cart. So I got 2. I was so glad I did. It is a staple for me now. I need CS/Essentrics. I am fighting arthritis, work 2 jobs and my pt job is very physical, and I just need it slow the aging process. I now own just about everything they have put out in DVD. My suggestion is, it is overwhelming, where do you begin? Just close you eyes and pick one and see where it takes you.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 12:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
I have never done CS, but have done a few Essentrics and was not impressed. I'm probably the odd man out here though.

My absolute favorite stretch is Gentle Yoga, part of Travis Eliot's Ultimate Yogi set. I also really like Yin Yoga in the same set. I don't think these can be purchased separately however, but you could email udaya and certainly ask.

I also like doing Cathe's Stretch Max doing 2 of the 3 segments back to back.

youtube searches for "Gentle Yoga" or "Deep Stretch" has alot of freebies. I especially like those by Five Parks Yoga with Erin Sampson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I am right there with you Tugger. Have tried several DVDs and even had a full season. Just don't see all the hype about them but we are all different.

I prefer yoga or straight stretching. I am not one for movement during stretch and that could be why I am not a fan of CS/Essentrics.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. A lot of VFers dislike yoga, it's a matter of taste. I get benefits from both Essentrics & yoga. We have just tried to answer the OP's question about CS/Essentrics.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 12:33 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Since the OP was asking specifically about Essentrics/CS...it would be helpful to offer what exactly you didn't like about the program. I totally understand a program not speaking to you...there are plenty that don't work for me.

I am so glad we have so many exercise genres to choose from. I started working out back in the day to Firm Volume 2 on VHS. So crazy! And now we have streaming and YouTube. So cool. As long as we find something we love that doesn't cause us a bunch of injuries...and we're moving...well, it's all good.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 01:46 PM  
Rhonda

Hard to explain why I didn't care for it. Don't get me wrong, I have done it and I do feel stretched but it just didn't click for me like other stretching does.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 03:28 PM  
rhbrand

Yes, yoga makes me want to go out and murder things. I just don't like yoga. I've tried it several times, several kinds, several instructors, and its the same. I hate yoga.
Old 09-12-17, 05:07 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Yes, yoga makes me want to go out and murder things.
Hahaha, that made me laugh out loud! So....probably best you avoid it!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 06:02 PM  
DCW

Hello,
CS Essentrics fan here.

Recently my coworker purchased the beginners bundle and is a convert. She is working thru Season 11. I think the instructions are spot on. When DD boyfriend did a Season 11 episode after a hard workout and liked it, it confirmed its winner status.

I recommend Season 11.

Ultimate Stretch is my go to after a rough day. Bliss is the best word.

Come join us at the classical stretch essentrics checkin
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 06:03 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Hahaha, that made me laugh out loud! So....probably best you avoid it!
That made me laugh out loud also!
Donna D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 07:31 PM  
Tugger31

I can't say it was any one thing about Essentrics that I didn't like. I did feel it was a bit haphazard I guess is the best I can offer. I also didn't feel as stretched as I have with other programs/workouts. It also caused pain in some of my joints as well. I think the biggest disappointment for me was the high expectations I had for the big price tag that came with the workouts I bought.

As far as yoga goes, some yoga makes me want to murder things too I gravitate more toward the non-zen more "athletic" stretchy yoga.

I had also posted some of the other types of stretch workouts I liked here b/c the original poster had asked about some favs in another thread. I probably should have just made two separate posts.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic stretch, classical stretch youtube, essentrics, essentrics youtube