Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-17, 06:17 AM  
desie

Barlates Abs Core Ankle Weight workout

Linda Wooldridge has a new you-tube workout that I'm going to try this morning, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BKHh6Ye_v8, it looks a little slower and easier than her usual fare. I am used to doing lower ab work with small 1/2 lb or 1 lb ankle weights, but am bored with my usual routines, I hope this workout will be something I'd enjoy repeating. But always using the lighter ankle weights!

(I don't do most of Linda's newer workouts, they are too advanced with the number of reps and burn-out of targeted muscles.)
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 02:59 PM  
wendug

I watched part of this workout yesterday. Did you try it? What do you think?

I think Linda's workouts are sneakily advanced. Like using the 2 or 3 pound weights for the arms WHILE holding your lower body in a plie up on your toes. Looks like it wouldn't be too hard but man, does it make your muscles burn! And she's just talking through the workouts like it is no problem!
Old 09-08-17, 04:49 PM  
Salamander

Thanks, I'm going to check that one out. I really like Linda, but it's usually too many reps, too many moves for the same little muscles. I'm curious if anyone has done a rotation of just Barlates and what kind of results? Since I'm trying to build muscle this is would not be a primary choice for me, maybe once a week for variety.
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 08:58 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
Thanks, I'm going to check that one out. I really like Linda, but it's usually too many reps, too many moves for the same little muscles. I'm curious if anyone has done a rotation of just Barlates and what kind of results? Since I'm trying to build muscle this is would not be a primary choice for me, maybe once a week for variety.
I haven't done her workouts exclusively so can't speak to results, but I incorporate Barlates often - both her standing barre workouts and her pilates mat workouts are amazing. I will say I try to seek out her more total body workouts (or even her new Loop Chisel series which combines two muscle groups like arms+abs or lower body+arms-I am really liking these so far) than her focused workouts. I just don't want to dedicate more than 10-15 minutes on one muscle group, let alone 30-40 minutes unless it is very dynamic and pulls in other muscle groups.

Not to enable anyone but she's offering a buy one get one free right now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvxgEeqzzHU&t=0s) I'm going to stock up on some of her new workouts bundles. She has so many of them!
Old 09-09-17, 10:25 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I really like the idea of barlates but I agree there are too many reps and exercises for one muscle group.

Ebianco, can you list your favorite total body dvds? I will look into the loop chisel workouts. Any others you recommend? TIA
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 03:01 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Ebianco, can you list your favorite total body dvds? I will look into the loop chisel workouts. Any others you recommend? TIA
Hi Summer Breeze,

Here are my recommendations:

-Pilates Ring Barre - my current absolute favorite! 3 workouts using the ring and they're all total body
-(*)The Resistance Band Solution - Total Body + cardio
-(*)Mix and Match HIIT - Total body + cardio, Dream Body like (but a little easier than DB)
-Clever Yoga Fusion - these are unusual, not sure exactly how to categorize them, but they are total body and harder than you'd think! (but not as hard as her other workouts)
-(*)Barre Ball Blast - not entirely mixed chapters but she has some cardio, has an inner thigh+abs chapter, and even though chapters are focused on one muscle group the other muscles have to contribute so it sometimes feels total body-ish
-(*)Barre Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced DVDs - they are not mixed except for abs+arms, with a separate leg chapter and glutes chapter, but there's also a bonus cardio/TB workout on each DVD. I really like these but I also love a lot of barre work
-(*)10 Minute Burnout Series (mix and match chapters)
-10 Minute Challenge (mix and match)
-(*)Fusion Mat Workout - not mixed muscle groups but the chapters are short, about 15 minutes and you can mix and match
-5 Best Exercises (mix and match, these are shorter chapters, about 8-10 minutes each)

These DVDs I am getting in her sale but they look total body upon preview:
-(*)Cardio Sculpt Fusion 3-DVD set, these all look like total body+cardio
-(*)Pilates Barre Fusion 3-DVD set, these do not look like total body exactly but they look like they're dynamic enough to feel total body, sort of like Barre Ball Blast
-(*)Mat Barre Series, these look like total body
-(*)Yoga Barre Fusion, these look like total body

FYI the starred recommendations are for purchase only. The other ones can be found on youtube! Let me know if you try any out and how you like them!
Old 09-11-17, 09:02 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thank you so much, ebianco!! I actually think I have a couple of these so I'll go through my collection and double check. I appreciate your input and will definitely report back after I try them.
Old 11-09-17, 01:12 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

REVIVING OLDER THREAD

I just wanted to report back that I did the Full Body Weights Express segment from the Full Body hiit series dvd and I really enjoyed it!! This may be the kind of barlates workout I can get into. I enjoy weight work, especially compound moves, more so than mat or floor work so now I'll be on the lookout for more full body weight workout dvds from Linda if anyone can suggest some. Is there a way to tell from the titles which of her dvds include weights? TIA

Tags
barlates, linda wooldridge