Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-17, 01:05 PM  
lorajc

Anyway to Do Udaya's Yoga Warrior or Ultimate Yogi & Shorten Them?

Hi - I have these sets and wanted to know if anyone has successfully done them and shortened them effectively? I want to do them, but don't want the entire hour...more like a half hour and I can't afford anything new right now.

thanks, lora
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 01:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I have no qualms about stopping in the middle of a workout if my time is short.

that being said, yes, I've done it with UY & YW. just stop/start wherever and whenever you need to. Rudy and Travis will be waiting for you when you come back. people are so afraid of breaking the commandment of Thou Shalt Do Entire Workout No Matter What.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 02:57 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I agree with Jeannine; you can stop these whenever you want. Also, sort of hidden on Rudy's Yoga Warrior 365 is a simply lovely 20 minute practice called "Modified Warrior." It's on the bonus disc. It's just Rudy doing the practice via voice-over. He shows tons of modifications and it's perfect if you are short on time, recovering from illness, etc. Also on the bonus disc is "Mountain Warrior" which is 30 minutes. It's a nice one too.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 04-25-17 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 08:01 AM  
owltx

I shorten UY all the time. I often like to do 20-30 minutes of yoga after a workout session. I tend to start in the middle and go through to the end so I get in my savasana. I make sure that if I am starting in the middle of Gentle Yoga, say, that I am getting both legs in instead of just one.
Old 04-26-17, 11:02 AM  
AnMrsDe

If I'm wanting to do a UY after a previous workout or later in the day (not right out of bed), I've shortened a class by sometimes skipping the first warm-up series. (Most of the UY classes have 2 w/u series, IIRC). You do need to make a note of when the first one ends, so to complete both sides of the 2nd warm-up, but it can be done. It usually shaves off 8-10 min., maybe? And also, I cut off the shavasana usually by at least 5 min. I have a hard time completing shavasanas with 60 min. classes!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 11:47 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltx View Post
I shorten UY all the time. I often like to do 20-30 minutes of yoga after a workout session. I tend to start in the middle and go through to the end so I get in my savasana. I make sure that if I am starting in the middle of Gentle Yoga, say, that I am getting both legs in instead of just one.
I would say, though, if you are going to start in the middle of one of the more athletic workouts, you should warm up. (Not an issue if you're adding it on to another workout, obviously.) And be careful you don't try to do an extreme stretch (e.g. the bind in the extended side angle pose) if you are not warm enough for it. There are always modifications, just realize if you're not as warmed up, then you are not as flexible as you might be if you'd done the whole series.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 12:05 PM  
lorajc

Hi Ladies - thanks for the options...I would always warm up first.

I was previously thinking of cutting out some of the sun sal's...as I need to build back up to those, as I've been mainly doing Kundalini Yoga lately and they don't do a whole lot of those!

I looked at the Bonus Disc...thanks for that...however, it doesn't have much variety but good for a day I want more standing work.

Also, I have never done either of these sets since I purchased them! I used to work REALLY hard for years on end....and the past 4 years have been injured and not working....and am going thru my LARGE collection and discovering all of the great stuff I've collected. I was reading the pamphlet that came in Yoga Warrior.....and I didn't think I really liked Rudy from preview...however, I think I'm connecting with him more "on paper".....I actually got chills reading a few tidbits of info....and loved the way they brought the first practice, The Gathering full circle and started it in the Courtyard where Ultimate Yogi left off...cool!

thanks again...Lora
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ultimate yogi, yoga warrior 365